Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've Got CRS

Default I've Got CRS

I Can't Remember Songs!!

Dang....I'll play a song for 30 minutes, walk away from it for a day then can't even remember how the darn thing starts. Its all pretty frustrating. Show me the TAB's and I can pick and play pretty well, its just the thinking part thats got me stumped.

What techniques do you use to burn the tune into your head????

Default Re: I've Got CRS

I thought that was MDS
    Memory
    Deficiency
    Syndrome
    I suffer from the same thing! Pick like a fool one night and two days later, total blank! It can really make me crazy!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Welcome to my world. You know there are two things about getting old that are a bummer. The first is you can't remember anything. The second is............................

Sorry to hear I'm not the only one this syndrome affects & I'll be watching this thread for treatment ideas. Another variation I have is to have a tune running through my head but when I pick up an instrument and play a note, it vanishes! Well, I guess I know the cure. Practice, practice, practice. I wonder how many years I have left.

Got both CRS and MDS. I write a list of the tunes I am working on. With each title, I write the key and time signature. If having trouble remembering the first couple of notes, I will write them there also. I also have trouble remembering the tunes that I have written. I keep my phone and make a rough recording just to remind me.
    Last edited by red7flag; Sep-20-2017 at 10:27am.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

6. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I don't start learning a song on any instrument until I can sing/whistle/hum it quasi accurately.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrianWilliam For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I don't perform so it's not exactly the same issue, but I have noticed that the panic I experience when I can't remember a tune seems to somehow block the forgotten tune even more. I have had to rely on the confidence (frequently verified but never proven), that nothing is lost, just momentarily misplaced. That confidence takes the sting out of the panic and more often than not the tune comes to me soon after.

In a performance situation this might not be effective, because it is not fast or timely.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    What techniques do you use to burn the tune into your head????
    Yep, it's frustrating. You work on a tune and you feel you have it - til next day and you ain't got it. I would work up a tune - show it to my buddies in my jam group and snap - I can't remember anything

IMO it's repetition (and a close analysis of the tune), but in beginning and intermediate phases of learning, it's way more repetition than we allow.

I went thru a phase thinking I lacked the capability to remember tunes until I began to accept it took more than a few practice sessions to burn it to my HD. Clearly some pickers have a keener memory for this but in my group we seem to take the same time to 'know' it. And thats weeks of working a tune over in daily practice. Not a day or two or three

Once I figure the tune out, playing daily, along to backing track that loops 6 - 8 times seems to work for me. Otherwise I used to play it once and say 'hey I got that' and move on. That did not work for me

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    I don't start learning a song on any instrument until I can sing/whistle/hum it quasi accurately.
    Pretty much what I do. It's something that my Dad taught me when I was just starting out.

With a gig coming up this Saturday night, I too have been struggling with CRS. I don't want to use a music stand at this gig so I have been writing out the lyrics to a couple of songs that I tend to forget when under the spotlight. I find that writing the lyrics out on scratch paper helps cement them in my brain. I throw the scratch paper away, of course; replacing the lyric sheet with scratch paper doesn't make sense.

As for remembering melodies and chords to songs, I usually don't have a problem because I play the song about 1,000 times before I get brave enough to do it in front of an audience.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

14. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post:

I used to hand write the words of a new song I was bringing into the band four times and by the time I had finished the fourth one, the words were pretty well established. Whether or not the other guys could read what I'd written was their problem!
    As for the tune, I think Teak has the best mnemonic device, get the tune in your head then tell fingers where to go. It's the simplest form I know of and one you have a little more difficulty losing.
    But......
    Timothy F. Lewis

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Jess L.Teak 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Often i can't remember how to start, but I can remember the B part of a tune (or chorus in a song) and after the end of that, the A part is back in place.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

18. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

I prepare a song list:
    Title
    Key
    First line of lyrics
    first few notes

Then, if I can't remember I ask for a little help, but this is usually sufficient.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

20. The following members say thank you to Pittsburgh Bill for this post:

Play it twenty times a day for a week. Then play it every day for a month. The next month play it once a week. Then play it once a month for the rest of your life. You will remember the tune for as long as you live.

It takes time to learn a tune well. The older you get, the longer it takes.

Drinking doesn't help.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Play it twenty times a day for a week. Then play it every day for a month. ... play it once a week ... (for several years). Then play it (occasionally) ... for the rest of your life. You will remember the tune for as long as you live.
    HA! I'd been thinking exactly that. Of the 60 or 80 songs that my college rock band played (just turned 71!), maybe only 2 or 3 are not instantly at hand.

Drinking doesn't help.
    Oh! THAT'S where those 2 or 3 songs went ... along with that other whats-its-name that I learned last week!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

24. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    My instructor told me this yesterday....gonna' try this.

I have a problem with fiddle tunes I haven't played in a while. I can't remember the A part, and have to play the B part first, then the A part comes back to me. Strange.

If I don't have lyrics in front of me, I forget them, if I do, then I rarely need to refer to them.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Drinking doesn't help.
    Actually, if drinking makes you not care about CRS, it could help.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Listen to the tune, if possible, in addition to learning it from tablature or standard notation. By which I mean listening to it from a recording, vid, whatever. Play along with the recording (also if possible -- assuming it's in the same key in which you're playing it).

I agree with the suggestion to hand-write out words; I've copied many a song, line by line, from a recording, and those songs tend to stick with me.

Also, remember that the aging process does affect our ability to assimilate, retain, and recall data -- as anyone fumbling mentally for a friend's name will attest. Be gentle with yourself; brains are built differently from individual to individual. I'm blessed with a better-than-usual memory when it comes to songs and lyrics -- or rather, a worse-than-usual ability to mentally discard unwanted/unneeded musical material. This popped up a couple years ago, when someone at a gig wanted to hear Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor (On the Bedpost Overnight); yeah, I was able to come up with the entire song, which I hadn't thought of in 40 years or more. And I wasn't proud, just a bit worried about the junk I carry around in my head...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

29. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

I once wrote a song about this. But I can't remember the words or the melody.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

I prefer CRCL Syndrome (can't remember chords and lyrics), for the classier connotation. That said, regarding David's comment about alcohol, I have an uncle with an awesome sense of humor who refers to that issue as "Anheiser's Disease," with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Please understand that I'm not intending to make light of actual dementia or alcoholism, but a dark sense of humor isn't always misplaced

I agree that repetition is key, and far more repetition than we think is necessary. Sometimes, when I draw that dreaded blank, it helps to just let my mind relax and start playing without dwelling on it...often the song is there, but when that panic sets in it can override what you've learned...
    Chuck

33. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

I record the song on my phone. If I forget how it goes, it's right at my finger tips.

Al - I totally understand where you're coming from. Over 54 years in playing Bluegrass music,i've learned literally 100's of tunes !. These days,i've reached the point where i can remember the names of some of 'em,but can't remember how they go. Others,i can still play but can't remember what they're called !. I used to mentally beat myself up about it,but i realised that we can't remember everything. Since i first played some of those tunes 40+ years have elapsed & i've learned 1000's of other things in between. So i play 'em whether i can remember what they're called or not. As for the other tunes that i can remember the names of but not the tune,i look 'em up on the 'net !. I did that a couple of weeks back with ''Whoa mule !''. I used to play it on banjo,but hadn't played it in decades & decided that i'd take a crack at it on mandolin. I found a shed load of different versions on YouTube.

As for 'getting it into your head' - only playing it over & over & over & .............. will do it for me. Bela Fleck,in the book ''Masters of The 5-String Banjo'' (Tony Trishka & Peter Wernick), states that he records his practice sessions (or used to 30 years back). The only other thing that i can think of is to TAB your tunes out - if you can write TAB of course. Other than that,it's just repetition,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

36. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

From above - "I did that a couple of weeks back with ''Whoa mule ! ''. It was ''Flop Eared Mule'' - see what i mean !!!!!,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

No Ivan, that's "TNIS"
    Tune
    Name
    Inversion
    Syndrome

It's a wide spread malady, very common in musicians. Not fatal but much like flatulence, it occurs when least appreciated.

I know....."Corner!"
    Timothy F. Lewis

39. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post: