Thread: Left hand pizzicato

Default Left hand pizzicato

I am working on Munier's "Scuola del Mandolino" second part and got to the right hand and left hand pizzicato.
    I'll be brief about the right hand pizzicato. In Munier's method the right hand pizzicato is picking the string with the middle finger without leaving the pick. While it seems that this has evolved, in Six Excursions (mandolin solo) by Alison Stephens piece # 5 "Have a Habanera", the right hand pizzicato technique involves damping the strings with the soft edge of your picking hand just resting on the strings where they cross the bridge saddle. as done by guitar players .
    Now to the Left hand pizzicato and comparing two methods from the same era.
    Branzoli's LH piz is comparable to Muniers (snatched notes) pull off. I have attached The related exercises from both method to compare.

Munier's LH pizzicato is used to keep a tremolo movement while still playing other strings.

Branzoli LH pizz (as already mentioned) is more of a pull off
    Now the question is, if you have a mandolin with good sustain and volume, do you have to pull the string with you finger to give the pizzicato effect of just pull it off enough to give a tiny ringing note as in a pull off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	[Free-scores.com]_munier-carlo-scuola-del-mandolino-part-complete-book- LH pizzicato.pdf 
Views:	119 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	160935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	[Free-scores.com]_munier-carlo-scuola-del-mandolino-part-complete-book-snatched notes.pdf 
Views:	76 
Size:	492.7 KB 
ID:	160936Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Branzoli_Mandolin_1892.pdf 
Views:	53 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	160937
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

2. The following members say thank you to Hany Hayek for this post:

Default Re: Left hand pizzicato

Just to add that Branzoli, has one exercise with the same LH pizz as Munier, where the pinky plays the notes that are not tremolo
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Default Re: Left hand pizzicato

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Hayek View Post
    Now the question is, if you have a mandolin with good sustain and volume, do you have to pull the string with you finger to give the pizzicato effect of just pull it off enough to give a tiny ringing note as in a pull off.
    I prefer to give the string a little extra pull, so it sounds clearer and a bit louder than if I do not.

5. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post: