Thread: Bluegrass Up the Neck...

Default Bluegrass Up the Neck...

I'm interested in purchasing this book. I've read plenty of good reviews of it. For those who one this book, what is the printing quality? My eyes aren't what they used to be. Spending $20 on a book that I'm going to have to re-print doesn't sound like fun to me.

If the book is printed poorly, is there another book that is printed well that others recommend?

Thanks

Default Re: Bluegrass Up the Neck...

First off, this is a great book.
    Then, it is hand-written and of small format (unless it has recently been republished differently)
    I scanned it in, enlarging the pages to letter format.
    And now it is just fine.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

3. The following members say thank you to Manfred Hacker for this post:

It's pretty small print for sure, with that said though, it's a great book. It was one of the first books I bought and learned a lot from it!

5. The following members say thank you to danielpatrick for this post:

Just to concur, small print, great book. Really got me started on improvising.
    Cary Fagan

7. The following members say thank you to Cary Fagan for this post:

I have this book and The Pentatonic Mandolin and they are small. I took them to the local office store and they blew them up to 8.5x11 and bound both books in a comb for me with the CDs...no big deal I think it cost me less than $5.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

9. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Thanks all. With so many glowing reviews I'd be a fool to not pick it up.

This is the most helpful material I have found for "Blue Grass Mandolin 101" and beyond apart from in-person lessons with a good teacher.

Well, I bought the book. It is small and hard to read. I took it to Fedex/Kinkos and they said it was a violation of the copyright to make a copy. They also wanted to charge me $18. Annoying.

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dadsaster View Post
    I'm interested in purchasing this book. I've read plenty of good reviews of it. For those who one this book, what is the printing quality? My eyes aren't what they used to be. Spending $20 on a book that I'm going to have to re-print doesn't sound like fun to me.

If the book is printed poorly, is there another book that is printed well that others recommend?

Thanks
    I have basically started with "The Pentatonic Mandolin" (and Jack Tottleīs book Bluegrass Mandolin that was published by Oak Publications).

The Pentatonic Mandolin helps you to start simple. But it is so much more. It is actually an indepth look into music theory. If you check Niles Hokannenīs posts here on the cafe you will find out that what he put into his books is yedi-mandolin-knowledge. And I donīt say that lightly. So disregard the way it may be printed. Scan it and print it out blown up to size or do the same at a copyshop. If itīs for your personal use itīs perfectly legal.
    Olaf