Thread: Evelyn's Big Mandolin Book (both 2015 and 2017 volume) - Great!

Default Evelyn's Big Mandolin Book (both 2015 and 2017 volume) - Great!

I can't recall which thread I read about these two fantastic books but I just want to thank Evelyn Tiffany Castiglioni for producing them! The books contain tunes with 3 parts: melody, descant, harmony. Many of the tunes are traditional, while there are a lot of recently composed tunes by various luminaries of the fiddle and mandolin world, and quite a few are written by Evelyn herself. The books are printed very clearly for easy reading and are bound to stay open on the stand.

The price is very reasonable for all the music and for the quality of the arrangements and compositions in each of the two books. They are NOT merely different editions of the same material, but rather they are completely different sets of tunes.

I've long appreciated the three volumes of Winter's Tale that Evelyn has shared and now I and my wife are enjoying these two Big Mandolin Books, too!

Default Re: Evelyn's Big Mandolin Book (both 2015 and 2017 volume) - Grea

Thanks very much, dhbailey. I am very glad you and your wife are enjoying the books. There will be more as time permits. I like nothing better than to write or arrange new ones. The next book will have some tunes about wind and rain, many of which I put together while Hurricane Harvey was hitting Houston. Davey Arthur gave me permission to use his wonderful Tamlin Reel, also called The Howling Wind.

Stay tuned for a small collection of Halloween tunes that I will post soon, and of course, Winter's Tale 4 is in preparation.

BTW, on my own copies, I have had my local print shop put on coil binding, rather than the glue binding provided by the publisher.

Regards,
    Evelyn
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

I look forward to the Halloween and Winter's Tale 4 collections!

My wife and I always have our music books coil bound by a local print shop -- it makes life so much easier as performers! Although I must say that your publisher's glue binding was better than most in staying open on the stand when the books first arrived.

Thanks for the great arrangements!

dhbailey,

I just posted my free 2017 collection of 13 Halloween tunes for mandolin trio here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...=1#post1603839.

Also, my two big books that you mentioned in this thread have more tunes suitable for Halloween, either by their spooky sound or subject of the title. Here are the titles:

Halloween tunes in Evelyn's Big Book for 2015
    Armadillo Dance (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Belling the Cat (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Blackbeard’s Return (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Chasing the Storm (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Crabs in the Skillet (Irish)
    Crow’s Nest (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Funeral March of a Marionette jig (Gounod)
    Jack Point (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    The Jester’s Tale (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    The King of the Fairies (Irish)
    Lafcadio (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Night Crawlers (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Skunk in the Alley (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Three Trolls (Tiffany-Castiglioni)

Halloween tunes in Evelyn's Big Book for 2017
    Doctor’s Cat (Tiffany-Castiglioni)
    Fair Jenny’s (Barnes)
    Jump at the Sun (Kirkpatrick)
    Lady Elizabeth Cole’s Reel (Macintosh)
    Possum Patrol (Tiffany-Castiglioni)

Regards,
    Evelyn
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)