Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Walnut Tonewoods

Blog Entries

Default Re: Black Walnut Tonewoods

The custom Labraid I had used a walnut back. It had a wonderful, warm voice.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Very interesting grain Jim! Outstanding!

Jim your F4 is about as good as it gets. Chris did an amazing job with that one. How does it’s voice compare with F2/F4. How wide is the nut? Did you pick out the wood and bindings?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D586B882-19EA-4B65-B509-B12245359171.jpeg 
Views:	110 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	161372
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Well, Orville himself used walnut on at least three instruments I have had in my own hands so, there is precedent. As well as the the examples put forth here. Give it a shot!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by whistler View Post
    Not sure about that - maybe in its acoustic properties, having similar density and hardness. But visually, walnut (any species of Juglans) can be a much more interesting wood, in my opinion. Besides, anything that doesn't involve cutting down rainforests has to be a good thing.
    While I was speaking tonally describing the lack of sonic difference between the two species, I don't think anyone could tell the difference in tone between a walnut bodied and mahogany bodied instrument. Obviously the figure in walnut is quite different to mahogany, and also quite different between species of walnut, but plainer woods can often be easily confused with added coloring, as a lot of 'walnut furniture' is actually mahogany with an appropriate stain.

Both are great for building and I wouldn't hesitate to use either.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Different application here, but the center block, rims and center of the neck are all black walnut in this thing. It sounds so close to what I was going for it almost makes me feel competent.

Thanks,

Magnus

Magnus, what's the pickup in that? What I think I'm hearing is a really well matched set of electronics and woods. Thanks for posting this! Great playing, as well, btw. Very thoughtful touch on the instrument.
    Kirby Francis

Francis Guitar Repair

8. The following members say thank you to Inklings for this post:

You're very kind. The pickups are actually a pair of cheapo mini humbuckers from eBay. I bought them with the intent to upgrade when I had the kinks worked out, but they turned out sounding just like I wanted them to, so now I can't really see a need for that upgrade.

Thanks,

Magnus