Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass and Snapchat

Default Bluegrass and Snapchat

Hey folks, I've got a kinda strange question i guess. But is there any good bluegrass content i should be following on snapchat? Musicians, builders, repair shops, etc. Anything to help me get my bluegrass fix haha.

Default Re: Bluegrass and Snapchat

I must be old I don't even know what Snapchat is.

Maybe I'm just old enough to not care,
    The thing that is interesting to me is the number of people that have to get their musical "fix" from the modern equivalent of the boob tube. This is so far from the roots of the music. This is an aural and oral tradition and the new aural has become the internet. No longer are PEOPLE learning from live interactions with other people but, so many learning from the media at hand. Yes, it's the changing times but, it doesn't make for as nice an evening as finding real human interaction making music.
    Excuse the old geezer rant.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Yikes, another digital junkie. I suspect the OP needs a reminder that as Timbofood said this is a hands on activity. Not hands on a play pad, play station or other digital device. Pick up a mandolin and begin picking. Go down to the local music store and interact with other humans.
    Sigh!
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Here's what I learned about Snapchat:

Which is kinda terrifying. Thanks Wired (https://www.wired.com/2016/04/how-to...e-millennials/) ....

FWIW, I get my digital bluegrass fix from YouTube.

And ease up on r.riley77. We are all on the interwebs right now

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BrianWilliam For This Useful Post:

What the hey....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonroeHat.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	160910
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monroebatman.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	160911

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Excuse the old geezer rant.
    You're excused! And you're right of course. Social media etc certainly doesn't have the same human connection/interaction as the old, traditional ways.

On the other hand (as Brian pointed out) there's YouTube...and the Cafe. Resources that would have been unimaginable not too long ago. All the cool Monroe videos in Nick's thread alone!.

The lost minutes of my life due to the aggravation this 'digital age' causes me, have been more than made up for by the time I've saved not having to keep resetting the needle on the Hi-Fi.

And here we are Timothy. Two old buzzards having our morning coffee and discussing the interweb. Not the same as a real one-on-one conversation, but a lot easier than doing it by telegraph... by gum.

Clark

Yep, my "key touch" ain't what it used to be!
    The really cool thing about the whole communication aspect is the ability to share information that put that to use, I get that and love it. It allowed me to communicate daily with my mother who was in Georgia or Pennsylvania with the greatest of ease. It is the modern telegraph absolutely Clark!
    It does not replace the actual one in one by any means but "chatting" is a very different thing from making music. And making music is a whole different animal than listening to it.
    More coffee?
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Yep, my "key touch" ain't what it used to be!

I took my best shot at typing 'same here' in code (... .- -- . .... . .-. .), but the formatter keeps moving all my dots and dashes around. Gol-durned infernal modern contraption anyway!

No more coffee for me. I'll be up all night.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Sep-19-2017 at 9:12am.

Well so far hasn't this been a fine example of community cooperation for the OP.

I don't use Snapchat, but I do second the one decent bit of advice above - trawl the vast resource that is YouTube for clips

Using the map feature you could might be able to check out different festivals that may be in progress at a given time. I know Sierra Hull is pretty active on Instagram, some other younger players like her might be on Snapchat as well if you check their websites. Some companies have corporate Snapchat accounts as well, presumably there could be some musical instrument maker ones.

Pretty amusing people are posting negatively about a form of social media they don't understand (I don't either, btw) while typing away on a ...social media platform.

To the original poster, Sierra Hull is a wonderful source of fun entertainment on her Facebook Live videos. Not sure on snap chat but I'm sure there are some mandolin/bluegrass stuff out there similar to what Sierra and others do with Facebook Live.

For those that are unwilling to get on the social media "bandwagon", they sure are missing out on some pretty cool stuff when it comes to interacting with our favorite performers/artists.

17. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

Even the oldtimers must surely appreciate what YouTube has done to make tunes and arrangements available to us that are otherwise inaccessible, except in players' homes and at occasional festivals in places I can't get to. These days, when learning a new fiddle tune, I simply type the name into YouTube and get to hear many folks playing it, from novices to masters. It's a great way to learn! Also, there are lessons available, advice on instruments, excerpts from concerts, clips of my favorite players testing different mandolins -- you-name-it. The web is a TERRIFIC resource, and it can jump-start the playing of practically anyone, from beginner to advanced. I get to see the fingering, I get to hear the melody (and slow it down, if I like), I get to repeat it, I get to play along (melody or backup), I get to learn about the accompaniment, and so on.

All this is so that I can play better with others. It's not a substitute for playing with other people: it's an aid to wood-shedding. The web has put my practice sessions in overdrive. It's a living encyclopedia of tunes! I would never want to go back to the pre-internet era.

Geeze, I don`t understand what most of the commercials are selling now days because they are all way over my head with this "modern" electronic system...Snapchap would drive me crazy if I am not already there...

Enjoy it while you can if you like it because tomorrow there will be something different popping up...That's what keeps Best Buy in business... a person has to buy the new stuff to know what is happening in todays world....

Willie

What's Best Buy?

21. The following members say thank you to BrianWilliam for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Even the oldtimers must surely appreciate what YouTube has done to make tunes and arrangements available to us that are otherwise inaccessible, except in players' homes and at occasional festivals in places I can't get to. These days, when learning a new fiddle tune, I simply type the name into YouTube and get to hear many folks playing it, from novices to masters. It's a great way to learn! Also, there are lessons available, advice on instruments, excerpts from concerts, clips of my favorite players testing different mandolins -- you-name-it. The web is a TERRIFIC resource, and it can jump-start the playing of practically anyone, from beginner to advanced. I get to see the fingering, I get to hear the melody (and slow it down, if I like), I get to repeat it, I get to play along (melody or backup), I get to learn about the accompaniment, and so on.

All this is so that I can play better with others. It's not a substitute for playing with other people: it's an aid to wood-shedding. The web has put my practice sessions in overdrive. It's a living encyclopedia of tunes! I would never want to go back to the pre-internet era.
    Not a word I would dispute, it's simply not the social interaction that made playing bluegrass music appeal to me, it's rather like virtual sex, you get the appropriate result but, not for the best reason.
    I get the learning a new tune part but, it's simply not MY favorite method.
    Play music.
    Timothy F. Lewis

23. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I just got a tutorial on snapchat from the 20-somethings in my office and i guess my advice to the OP is to check out whether the mando sources he's interested in have an instagram account since the signon is often the same and you can see if they have a snapchat account. for the younger musicians/luthiers, they might have their own; for the older ones, they might have someone doing marketing for them who have a snapchat account.

For those whose background in social media is about at my level, snapchat is strictly for phones, from what I can gather, so the OP is looking for quick-hit photos or short short videos of musicians/builders/mando-people who are posting funny/interesting things s/he can read on the phone when s/he is out and about and be able to share similar things. Snapchat, unlike other social media, is designed to disappear within 24 hours of posting. I've been told that some organizations have snapchat accounts (mostly their clickbait stuff, my sources tell me). Initially snapchat was used mostly for people to send unclothed photos of themselves to close friends (you can choose who to share with) since they allegedly went away after 24 hours, but it's expanded since then. I've also been told that it's been hacked a couple of times, so it's not as secure as initially thought.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    Geeze, I don`t understand what most of the commercials are selling now days because they are all way over my head with this "modern" electronic system...Snapchap would drive me crazy if I am not already there...

Enjoy it while you can if you like it because tomorrow there will be something different popping up...That's what keeps Best Buy in business... a person has to buy the new stuff to know what is happening in todays world....

Willie
    Haven't you figured all this out yet?

Name:  abe-lincoln.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  77.0 KB

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    What's Best Buy?
    This?

28. The following members say thank you to pit lenz for this post:

Teak 

Love that solo

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... gathering around a fire passing around songs tunes and everything else will remain my personal favorite venue of exchange. I can't fault the youngers for their new fangled ways just because I don't have the patience to deal with using them. Music is an expression; a pattern of sound and the emotion driving it .... it is more important to me that it continues being done than what tech is involved ...... but then I don't care for drums in a 'grass band.....
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

31. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I love when someone asks a question and the responses are all about why they shouldn't be asking that question...

I use snapchat for fun with friends but haven't gotten into the side of it of following celebrities and whatnot. I think some of them use it to push endorsements of shoes, cars, whatever.
    To answer the question, I have not heard of any good bluegrass content other than the occasional jam snap from a friend. I would venture to say that most bands are sticking with Facebook for their social media interactions. Some on Instagram as well.
    Let us know if you find any, I'd be curious.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Haven't you figured all this out yet?

<Abe Lincoln quote>
    Yeah, I was hoping to follow Abe's Instagram account but that idea got shot down.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

34. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post: