Thread: Different notes - same strings

Question Different notes - same strings

Hi everyone

Would someone know what can cause same strings - like the A strings of a mandolin for example - to be differently tuned when going down the neck?

Default Re: Different notes - same strings

For both strings in a course to produce the same notes all the way up the neck, the frets must be even (or evenly worn) at both strings, you must use identical finger pressure on both strings without accidentally bending one more than the other, and the saddle slot at the bridge must be cut evenly for both strings. If any of these are off, you'll get a slight difference between them.

But also, if one string is worn, rusted, or otherwise damaged more than the other one, it can greatly affect intonation. First thing to do when you have a problem like this is to change the strings out with fresh ones to be sure.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Nut slots are not correct. One of your A's is likely too shallow, resulting in the note being sharp on the lower frets.

First thing to do when you have a problem like this is to change the strings out with fresh ones to be sure.
    From time to time I run across an extreme string issue. Example: Setting up a mandolin and I just leveled and crowned the frets. They were all polished up and looking great. I proceed on and am in the last stages of setup. Everything is great except one fret, that is sounding the next note up. From experience, 99.99% of the time, this is a high fret, only I just leveled them. I check the frets yet again and tweak the relief, and it is still doing it. AT this point, physics suggest, this is not a fret issue. I even look at the string pretty closely and it looks fine. no loose windings etc... I do occasionally run across string issues, so I am aware it happens, but it is pretty rare that it would cause this problem. Check frets, yet again before replacing the string. I get the string off and it is smashed on the underside and just slightly bent . This wasn't visible from the top or sides, but it was enough to fret out with the action ran low.

So even doing this everyday of my life, the strings can still surprise me now and then.

So agreed. It usually isn't the strings, but that is still the best place to start.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Is it only one set of strings, or has it happened with more than one? It could be a bad string. Ted Eschleman had similar trouble with some of the Jazzmando strings he used to sell and spent a fair amount of time replacing them for people.

7. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Improbable but not impossible: Bad string slot at the nut or saddle. If the "witness point" (maybe a carpenter's term?) is any distance back from the fret-side edge of either, the open string will vibrate effectively longer than its mate (even though in tune) and, when fretted, will certainly vibrate differently from its mate, meaning out of tune.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

It would be easy to see the problem if one string in the pair was an inch behind the other or a half inch lower, but the same problem occurs if the difference is a thirty-second or less. The groves in nut and saddle MUST be same depth for each of the pair and must ride EXACTLY at fret side of nut and saddle. I always back cut mine slightly so it doesn't ride somewhere in the middle of the nut or less frequently the saddle.

I guess without luthier skill, apart from moving bridges, I'll go see a professional. Thanks for your answers!

11. The following members say thank you to Mement0o for this post:

Try raising the bridge just a bit to see if that helps, my guess is a high fret at some point if it only does it at one fret, if it does it at more frets than most likely the slots in the bridge saddle or the nut...I guess that is what has been said from the posts above...Also someone may have broken one string and replaced it with one that is a different gauge, try a new set of strings and see if it still happens, that is cheap enough to do...

Willie

In addition to evrything already mentioned, where the strings leave the nut and the bridge sadle also have to be identical. If the bridge is angled or the nut is not perfectly paraellel to the fretboard you can have problems.

I have had problems in the past with just the A strings not being in tune because of the way I put my finger on the strings. A little change in technique cured the problem.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!