Thread: Electric 5 string using Loudbox Artist

Default Electric 5 string using Loudbox Artist

Hey all.
    Is there any problem running my Schwab 5 string through a Loudbox?

I wonder if the preamp built in the Loudbox would make for too hot of a signal?

Even if it is acceptable, would I still be better off getting a regular guitar amp?

Tom W - got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Tim Wilson

Blog Entries

Default Re: Electric 5 string using Loudbox Artist

Should work fine in signal matching. The EQ available might be useful for getting a fat tone (cut high mids, boost low mids, etc.)

You can of course go down the rabbit hole of boutique and vintage tube amps (oh, my aching back) for the smoothing effect of slight overdrive, but a light pick and a sweet amp are enough for me for jazz. To play country or rock I like a trace of overdrive so I use a pedal (King of Tone) and there are lots of good OD pedals. You won't want the extended high frequency response of the LoudBox, but trimming the treble would be enough, I'd think.

Some here like a particular speaker size, but I find it's mainly about EQ upstream. Still, I have three cabinets---a tiny ported 6.5" that is really sweet in the highs (100W rating), with decent bottom if placed on the floor, a ported 8" higher-power speaker cab (200W), and a big ported 12" cabinet that is much more efficient and truly loud (100W). All sound great with my GK MB200 head.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

3. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

Is there any problem running my Schwab 5 string through a Loudbox?--Nope. Active pickups are not a problem for the Fishman.

I wonder if the preamp built in the Loudbox would make for too hot of a signal?--Nope.

Even if it is acceptable, would I still be better off getting a regular guitar amp?--That completely depends on your needs and usage. Are you needing big iron to move a lot of air outside? Are you looking to mic an amp into the mains "'cuz it's part of my sound"? Would a 3-channel amp (Clean/dirty/vocals) be your best friend? I'm reminded of ancient wisdom from my childhood TV days: there's a gizmo or a gadget or a thingamabob, you need the proper tool to do a proper job." Amps, pedals, etc are tools for specific tasks. The nature of your needs should define the nature of your tools.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

5. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Dave Sheets

If you already own the LoudBox, use it for now. But make it a point to try playing your five string through different people's amps, to see what different sounds and feels you like. Many guitar amps have very distinct colors and responses, that interact strongly with the character of your instrument. So as long as you have a serviceable amp, don't rush into buying anything else, get used to the instrument and try a bunch of different amps, and see what works for you. Do try a wide range of amps, you may be surprised at what works for you. I'm playing through a marshall now, of all things, it is stereotyped as a hard rock amp, but it gives me the sounds I hear in my head, so go figure.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments