Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAS in remission

Default MAS in remission

It's amazing how a change in finances can affect MAS. (Well, really, it's not all that amazing when you think about it.)

The finances haven't changed dramatically but they will. Eddie Blevins in Blountville, TN, is building an octave mandolin for me. I've already plopped down almost a third of the cost. This will be Eddie's first octave mandolin. His mandolins and mandolas (or is it mandoli?) are impeccable and I have complete confidence in him in this new endeavor.

I pulled the money out of what I call my "Mandolin Fund." That's where I squirreled away money to be ready to plop it down when I found a mandolin I couldn't do without. I used to carefully check the classifieds but now the time perusing the listings has dropped.

I looked it up in the medical books and almost certainly the MAS will come out of remission as time progresses. According to Medical Aspects of Mandolin Acquisition Syndrome, Parking Lot Striping and Laundromat Management, by Dr. Gibson Weber Eastman, the seriousness of the MAS coincides with the amount of money available to blow on things that probably aren't really needed.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

2. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: MAS in remission

When my mandolin fund get's low I tend to look around for musical
    Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    things that probably aren't really needed.
    Right now my seldom played Taylor 514 is looking a lot like a mandola to me

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    When my mandolin fund get's low I tend to look around for musical

Right now my seldom played Taylor 514 is looking a lot like a mandola to me
    My Taylor 410E became a Collings MT custom at a time of low funds. There was enough left over from selling it and another mandolin to be replaced with a Martin LX1E which works just as well

Funny, my MAS urges continue through thick and thin times. Mine is affected by occasional bursts of GAS, which, oddly, my wife prefers.

Were mandola a Latin word, it would be feminine, and the plural would be "mandolae."

Yup, a Taylor 320 was part of the deal for my Breedlove Cascade. And right now active MAS is at bay. Doesn't mean total remission in my case. There will probably be an octave mandolin eventually. But that's probably not for a year or more. Need to work on actually learning to play the mandolin, first. Besides restocking the fund. Between the A Jr. and the Cascade, pretty much burned through my instrument trade bait this year.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Just the other day I was in a pawn shop , and found a great deal on a guitar, i bought it , usually I would keep it but all I could think of is selling it make a good profit and put it in my Mandolin fund, now I have to sell the guitar
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darrylicshon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jdchapman View Post
    Were mandola a Latin word, it would be feminine, and the plural would be "mandolae."
    English was my goodest subject in school but Latin? Well, that's a whole 'nother story. Thanks for clearing it up.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

That's most of what I remember and I took three years.

===========

My MAS went into remission after 3 things happened:

1. I bought a highly unspectacular Gibson F-9, via the internet, and swore that I would never again buy another mandolin without trying it out first - and since good mandolins are almost non-existent within a 2-hour drive of my area, it is not likely that I will stumble across anything in the near future.

2. I couldn't find anyone to play with, or any place to play my mandolin; (aside from my rehearsal room).

3. I did my first singer/songwriter guitar performance in over 12-years, (open mic) and got asked to come back and do more . . . so, now I have to brush up on my guitar chops, as well as mandolin.

Mine is in remission--- but it was VERY costly!!!

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Despite my regular visits to a boutique Boston area music store, and my exposure to their potentially MAS inducing inventory, I have yet to audition an instrument with a tone I find more inspiring and versatile than my Collings MTO. Old-time fiddle tunes, Bach and chord-melody arrangements, I don't play bluegrass. I traded a Martin 000-28ec guitar for it a couple of years ago and feel like I got the better part of the deal.

Frosty: I did something similar just recently: sold an '84 Gibson Custom Shop ES-335 and used the proceeds to purchase a Collings MTO.

The 335 was visually stunning- natural finish and birds-eye and flamed maple that was nearly holographic. But I almost never touched it, except on some rare occasion, mostly just to look at it. I hadn't actually plugged it into an amp and played it in over a decade.

It finally dawned on me to let it go and get something that I know I will use and enjoy.

The only way MAS goes into remission in when you are either in debt or sick. And there is one other way which is too morbid to consider.
    Nic Gellie

17. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Randy Wood actually cured my MAS back in '93 with an F 5. It can happen to you.

19. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Actually, if you find yourself playing more with other folks you find that you have no time to think about instruments as you are trying to make sure that you have all the tunes and songs under your fingertips.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Actually, if you find yourself playing more with other folks you find that you have no time to think about instruments as you are trying to make sure that you have all the tunes and songs under your fingertips.
    Yeah but.. last week a fellow shows up at our jam with a lovely 100 yo Gibson F2 and insisted (ok I might have asked) that I play it. The tone of that mandolin was so different from what I know. Really sweet and mellow A and E. I was thinking about what I have seen them listed for and would my wife notice that it looked different than my other mandolins...

Regarding the plural issue that mentioned above, it is correct to say "octopuses", not octopi as is "fishes." But here's a caveat: The -es specifically refers to species. Think if you saw four fish when scuba diving, that means you saw four individual fish, but if you say you saw four fishes, we might infer that you saw an undetermined number of fish of four different species.

So the question is now, are different mandolas indeed different species? Oval v. f, scroll v. round, etc. Makes you think...
    1999 Buckeye #18 (Bucky)
    198x Flatiron pancake mandola (no name)
    2020 Kentucky 252 oval hole (Aurum)

When they all need re-frets, then is when it slows down....
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    When they all need re-frets, then is when it slows down....
    That would certainly do it. Fortunately, I only play the Breedlove Legacy most of the time and the frets are holding up quite well. The Quartz is a backup. The Recording King Resophonic is about to go on sale. The two McCormicks were bought because they were made by a local luthier. He passed away in 2007. He only made three mandolins and I have two of them. Outside of Columbus, their value would probably drop by at least one-third.
    David Hopkins

My MAS has been pretty well in remission since receiving my Buckeye (#81) from Pete at the end of May - really have a hard time putting it down. I was the same way with my Taylor guitar 5 years ago. Haven't had a bout of GAS since then. Not to say I haven't played some awesome sounding guitars I wouldn't mind owning - but just haven't felt the need. Hope I feel the same about #81 in five years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habbits View Post
    My MAS has been pretty well in remission since receiving my Buckeye (#81) from Pete at the end of May - really have a hard time putting it down. I was the same way with my Taylor guitar 5 years ago. Haven't had a bout of GAS since then. Not to say I haven't played some awesome sounding guitars I wouldn't mind owning - but just haven't felt the need. Hope I feel the same about #81 in five years.
    I've had my usual bouts with gas but not GAS.
    David Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    This. New band. New music (Finnish and Finnish American). Only having been playing mandolin 6 months. Switching between guitar and mandolin. As well as playing mandolin lead on a number of tunes means I really don't have a ton of time right now to have GAS.

Not complaining, mind you. Really enjoying this ride. Been working harder and learning more music than at any time since I took up Scandinavian music 5 years ago. Plus, I get to play with a fantastic group of folks, including my mandolin mentor who is a genius at harmony, counter melody and rhythm.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    . Plus, I get to play with a fantastic group of folks, including my mandolin mentor who is a genius at harmony, counter melody and rhythm.
    I checked your website Eric and I recognize a couple of local fiddlers and a concertina player from Minneapolis. Good company.

I actually feel a little guilty about owning two mandolins. The custom Collings Mt2 sometimes seems like an investment but I'm not ready to part with it.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

30. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

MAS seems to have different symptoms in different people. I don't attempt to find the "perfect" mandolin. I bought that in 2000. MAS for me keeps me looking for a different sound, yet as "perfect" as my Dearstone, so my MAS is never in remission. Yes when there is no funds I don't buy but I'm always looking and wondering if that is one I need to own.

Blog Entries

The question: is MAS characterized by the existence of the lust and urge to acquire, or is it characterized by the behavior of actually acquiring?

If the latter it would make sense that a squeeze on resources affects MAS.

But if the former definition applies, MAS is never in remission. Only the strength to resist changes with resources. Like alcoholism; you may be sober, recovering, or even recovered, but you are still an alcoholic.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....