Thread: Source for A Variety of Mandolin Music?

Default Source for A Variety of Mandolin Music?

Would anyone know of a source for the book "A Variety of Mandolin Music" by d'Alton? I'm specifically interested in the piece Bouquet of Flowers by Bernardo de Pace, which from what I gather is within the book but I can't find a table of contents reference either.

Any help is appreciated.

2. The following members say thank you to minuteman for this post:

Default Re: Source for A Variety of Mandolin Music?

Thanks, I saw those two. The ecrater has been "On Hold" for at least 6 months and has been sold. The Amazon price is too high for me to pay for want of a single piece.

I've been searching off and on for this book for years. Maybe it'll be back in production one day at a reasonable price.

5. The following members say thank you to minuteman for this post:

If you are near DC at all, you can stop into the Library of Congress. They have a copy of the Bernardo de Pace piece: https://lccn.loc.gov/2015667142

Quote Originally Posted by mandogio View Post
    If you are near DC at all, you can stop into the Library of Congress. They have a copy of the Bernardo de Pace piece: https://lccn.loc.gov/2015667142
    Interesting. I think I'll sign up and see what fees are associated with that process.

Thank you.

Do a search on your state library system.

That particular de Pace piece is still under copyright (it was renewed, I checked), but some of his other pieces are not.

Forgot to mention: my profile photo is me recreating dePace's vaudeville act!

11. The following members say thank you to Neil Gladd for this post:

I like this book a lot -- I bought it used on Ebay UK about ten years ago for (I think) around 10 Pounds. It comes up every now and then. Precisely what the involvement of Hugo d'Alton was is unclear. I suspect it was minimal, beyond lending his name and writing a very short blurb for the back cover.

The actual pieces are all facsimiles from the BMG Magazine, most published decades earlier. I can see no evidence of actual editing for the 1975 book, whether by d'Alton or anybody else. As facsimile reproductions don't create new copyright, I would think that the original composer's dates matter for copyright purposes, not the 1975 republishing. UK/EU copyright is life+70 years, so De Pace is definitely in copyright. US copyright is different, and as Neil said some De Pace compositions are now public domain in the US (but not the UK).

I've recorded a number of pieces for my Youtube channel, but not yet Bouquet of Flowers. Michael Reichenbach has a really nice Youtube recording of the piece here.

The technical level of the pieces varies a lot. Some are fairly simple duos or trios, others are pretty advanced, including several solo pieces in duo style and/or chord melodies. Something for everybody. De Pace is the most-represented individual composer, with solos (incuding "Bouquet Of Flowers" and "Moonlight On The Thames"), duos (I'm very fond of "Allusione Della Lettera De Manon") and trios ("Sonatina No. 1").

If you can get a good deal, the book is definitely worth seeking out!

Martin