Thread: Odd question

Default Odd question

This might be an odd question. But who makes the sturdiest mandolins? I know mandolins are supposed to be made from thin carved wood. But is there a mandolin that's tough and over built? Your thoughts on this concept?

Default Re: Odd question

It is my opinion that most "factory" mandolins are built to avoid warrantee. work.

Unfortunately, "sturdy" and "nice-sounding" tend to work in opposite directions. Having thick tonewood surfaces is inimical to good tone. Sturdy glue joints, however, are a characteristic of even the finest instruments.

Many budget instruments made in factories (particularly in the PacRim) tend to have thicker wood, and some of them are also made with solid, tight-fitting joints. These are sturdy, of course, but they don't sound all that great (IMO). Some budget instruments have the same thicker wood, but also do not have very well-made/well-glued joints. These are not very sturdy, and they ALSO don't sound great! Avoid getting those at all costs.

The better-sounding mandolins tend to come with thinner woods, but with tight joints.

So why are you asking this question, anyway? Are you looking for a budget instrument? A high-end one? Something to take on trips, or use in extra hot/cold climates? Maybe you should think about a carbon-fiber mandolin, like the Mix A-5 and F-5, instead of something made from wood?

4. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

They make some brass-bodied, nickel-plated resonator mandolins in China that you could pound finishing nails with.

Some say they sound just as musical pounding finishing nails, as when you pick them, but I wouldn't be that snarky.

If you want a wooden instrument, get a fairly inexpensive plywood mandolin, in the $150-250 range, made in Asia; many brands available. Laminated wood's more resistant to cracking, the finish will be a thick poly that repels people -- oops, I meant to say moisture -- and as sblock points out above, if you get one with good glue work, it should last through your entire trek on the Appalachian Trail.

The Applause budget line of Ovation instruments have plywood tops and fiberglas backs -- pretty sturdy. This one went for $250 used, apparently. There's an Asian-made, similar-design brand called Crafter, also plywood/fiberglas; these show up from time to time. Haven't heard anyone rave about their sound, but they seem durable.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I was just wondering. Struck me as an interesting concept is all. I have a Loar Honey-Creek seems plenty sturdy and sounds very nice. It just seems to me (like most things) the higher price goes the more elaborate (pearl inlays things like that). I was just wondering about the concept of a bear bones mandolin, a mandolin that is finely built but with out all the bells and whistles. So far my wonderings have lead me to looking at Big Muddy. BM I hear is good name for quality and there mandos are real simple looking. And while i love a good carved flourentine, the concept of a really great but simply made mandolin is really appealing as well.

The brand that I have seen with the thickest tops etc is the Fender mandolins, quite heavy also and do appear to be made sturdy though...I am not trashing their product, it is just my observation...

Willie

The only company that I know of deliberately over-building as a design criterion was Echo - founded by a non-musician and deliberately built like tanks as a matter of national pride. Generally their tone (guitars and mandolins) are rather less pride inducing...

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paleosteveo View Post
    I was just wondering. Struck me as an interesting concept is all. I have a Loar Honey-Creek seems plenty sturdy and sounds very nice. It just seems to me (like most things) the higher price goes the more elaborate (pearl inlays things like that). I was just wondering about the concept of a bear bones mandolin, a mandolin that is finely built but with out all the bells and whistles. So far my wonderings have lead me to looking at Big Muddy. BM I hear is good name for quality and there mandos are real simple looking. And while i love a good carved flourentine, the concept of a really great but simply made mandolin is really appealing as well.
    The term "over built" as used in your opening post has a very different meaning than bare "bones" or "really great but simply made" as described here.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

... the sturdiest mandolins?...
    "Surdiest" and "sturdy enough" are very different concepts. Many would say that the "best" race car is the one that wins, regardless of if it falls apart six inches over the finish line - which may well be the reason that it won. It's easy to build a sturdy car or mandolin; not so easy to build one that performs.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

I found out first hand that my Michael Kelly was tough when I tripped and landed on top of it while camping. It took me all afternoon to speed neck it too. Finish is industrial tough and thick. All attributes hinder sound though.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

My Flatiron 1N has been very sturdy! I say this, 'cause I've taken it to many random places including the jungles in Panama and the sandy beaches of North Carolina. I've carried pretty much all my mandolins to outdoor jams - tents, firepits and such.

I'd expect any of them would do just fine out and about.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Makes me think of those old Kay acoustic guitars of the 50's with braces as thick as a drum stick!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Peter Mix makes mandolins from carbon fiber. I think they are more than $3K though. I bet quite sturdy!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

... is there a mandolin that's tough and over built? Your thoughts on this concept?
    Solid body electric with bolt-on neck, magnetic pickup, play through battery powered headphone amp. Suitable for solo practice if you're traveling etc. However, solid bodies are heavier than hollow-body instruments, so there's that weight consideration if you're backpacking or something (where every ounce/gram counts).