Thread: Side pickup jack installation?

Default Side pickup jack installation?

Hi --

Is there a "proper" way to install a pickup jack on the side? I want to avoid if possible the end pin type. I am now using a carpenter jack, which works pretty well, but want to head toward completely internally mounted.

Suggestions appreciated, as well as links to a thread discussing if available. My searches are not finding, it seems.

Thanks in advance,

Dave Martin
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

Default Re: Side pickup jack installation?

If you don't want to drill the endblock that is understandable, but a jack in the side is not as strong and prone to severe problems should something happen, like someone stepping on your cord while you are moving. There is a tapastring plug that replaces your endpin without drilling. It is solid and many of us have been using them for years without trouble. They are however not as cheap as an endpin jack, but if you are paying someone for installation it equals out.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

What is the reason for avoiding drilling out the endblock?
    I would place it at about "5 o'clock" facing the front of the instrument if you play standing, and I would reinforce the side with a patch of 1/16" thick birch hobby plywood inside where the jack will go.
    I'm assuming this is a modest instrument...
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

5. The following members say thank you to Greg Mirken for this post:

reason... I have gotten quite used to a double leather bootstrap pushed into the end pin hole and knotted. I have experienced an instrument slipping off the end pin and catching the cord and a mess. This is a Breedlove AM-FF-VTG, which I plan to keep, I paid about 1100 with new registration and warranty confirmation from Breedlove. I may stick with the carpenter jack.
    <><><>><<><><>
    Start slow, fade early

With an endpin jack and plugged in the strap cannot come off all the way as it is on the 1/4" plug. Since the endpin is larger you will need to enlarge the strap hole, when I do that I make it so it is hard to get on and I have never had a problem of it coming off.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Here are some ways I've done it. Let me repeat this - No matter how tempting, I would not recommend ever mounting a jack in unsupported side wood on any instrument. If you are moving while plugged in and you step on the cord there is enough leverage there to tear out some wood.

9. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Nevin