Thread: shady grove...feedback

Default shady grove...feedback

No mandolin but I'm trying to learn to sing...feedback appreciated.
    https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/shady-grove

Default Re: shady grove...feedback

Can you take back the volume on the guitar backing a bit to give more emphasis to your voice, and maybe go up a key - the low notes seem to be on the limits of your range? Now someone else will tell you the guitar is not loud enough and your voice is pitched too high, probably. You sound as if you are enjoying performing this song, and that is a very big plus point for any listener!
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

I tried the song in C...when you say go up a key do you mean D or B?

If this is a first effort it was good. I agree that another key might fit your voice better. Keep at it and have fun.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

An unexpected benefit of taking a Pete Wernick ("Dr. Banjo") sponsored bluegrass jamming course, led by Barry Mitterhoff, was finding that my singing doesn't have to be as marginal as it had been. A big factor for us leaning singers is finding a key that fits our range, meaning in which we can sing strongly or close to it. (Having a narrow vocal range is okay; most roots-based music tends to fall that way.)

My interpretation: Your guitar is not too loud, your voice is too soft - at points almost a loud whisper. So, experiment freely & boldly, and probably, like me, where nobody's listening. Try it at least in D, then E, G, A, etc. (Great use for a capo!) Find your limits at both ends, just for experimentation and, ya know, wisdom. You might find that you can sing way up in A in the octave above C, but I'll bet you can't sing it in A 3 half-steps below your current C; your voice sounds, obviously to several of us, bottomed out in the current key.

Or as was put to me, "Don't try to sound like Waylon Jennings when you have Willie Nelson's voice!"

Gotta add that, after decades of making music, adding some actual reliability to my singing has been a HUGE kick. So keep at it!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by bluesguy63 View Post
    I tried the song in C...when you say go up a key do you mean D or B?
    If you are playing in C, then try moving to D, a whole tone higher, to give those lowest notes more body.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Not bad. Many OT/BG/Blues singers I know do a lot worse in jams/sessions.
    Shift that capo up 2 frets, like John said. That's what capos were made for in the first place.

The most important point for a singer is intonation. I am aware that, depending on genre, you can slide up to a target note, but at the end of the slide the note must be precise. Precise intonation is much easier in the comfort zone of pitch for the voice than outside it. It'll all come together
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Thanks for all of the feedback...I did another version (below) based on comments and went up to the key of D-I think I hear some improvement?
    https://soundcloud.com/bluesguy1963/shady-grove-take-2

Thanks for all of the feedback...I did another version (below) based on comments and went up to the key of D-I think I hear some improvement?

Definitely a better key for you. Nice job!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Much better. Now you're good to go on stage and sing, right after Elizabeth Laprelle
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I reckon that would be a good thing...she's one of my favs. She lives down in my neck of the woods. My goal is to be passable at a jam and not make an fool of myself

... I did another version ... key of D ... improvement?
    Yup! Sounds pretty good.

Much better in D.

Now, I'd try to go up another step (E) and see how that sounds. It may be good, or may be too high, but that's how you find out the right key for you for the specific song. Once you get too high, then back it down a little to find your sweet spot.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18