Thread: Turturro turnover

Default Turturro turnover

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7219.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	160812Speaking of weirdo wonders we can thank Elderly for bringing into our lives:
    https://www.elderly.com/n-turturro-turnover-1920-s.htm

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdchapman For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Turturro turnover

$1000? John is not impressed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72e7e41f0c6f31403335d099ca2ffac5--the-night-of-john-turturro.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	160813

Blog Entries

Wow. I have never seen anything more like that in my life. I'll bet it sounds that way, too.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

5. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Wow. I have never seen anything more like that in my life. I'll bet it sounds that way, too.
    I really couldn't have said it any better.

I bought one of those at the local flea market many years ago ( 15?) and it came with the original case and hand typed "drinking songs" included. I paid a hundred bucks for it and after a couple of minor repairs it played fine. The ukulele half sounded pretty good.

I no longer have it, it went to a trade for a mandolin, that went to a trade for a mandolin and so on.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Nicely demonstrates what my signature line is all about.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Looks a little like a Sweet Pea!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

How the heck do you play it with there being strings on the back side of the neck? I can't imagine that it would be comfortable at all to grip that neck and do any serious playing.

The 1920s were an odd time for musical instruments. Lots of new things were tried. Some made it, some didn't. But as I recall from trying to search for a patent, there were a whole lot of interesting and even bizarre patents in that era. Everything from bits and bobs and gadgets to add on to existing instruments, all the way to new instrument designs. And remember, this is the decade that Lloyd Loar developed all his new designs as well. Everybody was competing for the newest greatest thing. I'll bet it was a fun time to be in the business.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Played one once, at Vintage Fret Shop in Ashland NH. It's a bear to play, since while you pick one set of strings, the other is resting against your hand; talk about a "non-speed neck!" And it sounds small and plinky, and the ukulele pegs are wood friction, not "patent" with metal shafts or geared. So: not a serious performance instrument...

And yet, I came this close (thank you, Maxwell Smart) to buying one from Top Shelf Music in Buffalo, maybe 15 years ago. Think he wanted $400 for it, but I thought, "What a cool addition to my accumulation!" At the last minute, one of Nicola Turturro's descendants contacted Top Shelf and wanted to buy it as an ancestral heirloom, so it went to him. I was sorry to miss out, but my regrets haven't endured. I sure wouldn't drop $1K on one.

Here's an interesting Mugwumps article on the Turturro Turnover.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

I know it is hard to imagine (tho I know Allen and Mick would not be surprised) but I owned one of those one time. They are fun at parties and I was able to pick up many attractive woman playing it. I had to sell it tho, since I settled down and started playing instruments that actually sounded good.

I have a feeling that Elderly needed to buy it so they could show off their new web feature of click and rage to turn around 3D.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

14. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post: