Thread: any tab for Bach Lute Suite in E Major--Gavotte en Rondeau

Default any tab for Bach Lute Suite in E Major--Gavotte en Rondeau

I heard John Williams on KUSC earlier today playing Bach's Gavotte and Rondeau from Bach's 4th Lute Suite in E and thought it would be nice to play on mandolin. It's a very familiar piece and quite beautiful.

I did some searching online and wasn't able to find anything for mandolin. So, my question is: does anybody have the mandolin tab or suggestions where I can find a mandolin transcription? (I suppose a transcription for violin would be adequate, but I'm a lazy sight-reader)

Default Re: any tab for Bach Lute Suite in E Major--Gavotte en Rondeau

Quote Originally Posted by billykatzz View Post
    I heard John Williams on KUSC earlier today playing Bach's Gavotte and Rondeau from Bach's 4th Lute Suite in E ..... (I suppose a transcription for violin would be adequate, but I'm a lazy sight-reader)
    It's a great way to improve your reading. Use the real notation:

http://ks.imslp.net/files/imglnks/us...r_the_Lute.pdf

but you may be referring to the Gavotte and Rondeau from the solo violin works, which I believe came first and is better suited to mandolin:

http://imslp.org/wiki/6_Violin_Sonat...ann_Sebastian)

That's right, the 4th lute suite is Bach's arrangement on two staves of the E major violin partita. Bach didn't indicate an instrument for the arrangement; Bruger gives reasons for thinking he had lute rather than keyboard in mind, and so includes it in his edition of the lute works. The title of this movement is Gavotte en rondeau (gavotte in rondo form). It can be played on mandolin right off the violin score.

4. The following members say thank you to Bruce Clausen for this post:

David: Thanks! I found it in the first thread you shared. I followed the score while listening to a YouTube audio of John Williams playing it. I also learned online that Segovia transcribed it for guitar, which is the version I believe Williams was playing.

6. The following members say thank you to billykatzz for this post: