Thread: F5 Cad files

Default F5 Cad files

Does anyone have any cad files of an F5 mandolin they would share? Im going to try my first build, I mainly want some for jig and fixture design. I have some plans coming, may scan and convert. I have access to a 3d printer, designing some headstock inlays and will build a template that fits on the headstock of the design and see how it turns out.
    Can post pics of progress and how it turns out, pros/cons.
    Thanks,
    CC
    2005 Weber Yellowstone Custom F5
    2007 Weber Honey Tortoise F5
    Griggs Custom Brazillian Rosewood Guitar #12

seasea67@gmail.com

Default Re: F5 Cad files

As far as I know, the only source for commercially available CAD data for an F-5 is this source, Georgia Luthier's Supply (NFI).
    http://ultimate-guitar-online.ultima...roducts_id=298

I wouldn't bother with the "CNC files"... you can't cut directly from a DXF anyway. And even if you could, you might not want to do it the same way that guy does.

Of course many people have made their own CAD data to varying levels of detail and with their own tweaks. Maybe someone will offer to share their data with you, maybe not. I don't have anything remotely like a traditional F-5 drawn up, or I'd share it with you.

I've thought about doing a project to make very good quality parametric CAD models with parametric data. So it would be configurable for graduations and neck geometry based on several known superb instruments which I have measuements for, and would combine the information from the various sets of plans which are out there. Click a button, and you're looking at the Stew-Mac plans. Click again, you're looking at data from Adrian M.'s plans.
    I'd make the plans and CAD freely available, what I'd get out of it would be the knowledge resulting from studying and comparing all the plans. But so far I just have not been able to justify spending the time on it. It's about a $10,000 commitment in time to do it right.

There are 3D F5 files available here;
    http://www.waldronmusic.com/product_...oducts_id=2894
    Not cheap by any means, but they do represent a significant investment in someone's time.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by sliebers View Post
    There are 3D F5 files available here;
    http://www.waldronmusic.com/product_...oducts_id=2894
    Not cheap by any means, but they do represent a significant investment in someone's time.
    And with these high priced files, you can easily build your Lloud Laor replica just like this one on their website: http://www.waldronmusic.com/product_...oducts_id=1624
    Notice the description:
    Code : MANDO-FINSU-F5001
    Model : F-5 Mandolin
    price : $13,480.00
    Weight : 14.00 pounds
    Length : 30 inches
    Width : 18 inches
    Height : 6 inches

Loar Style Tiger Maple Mandolin Mandolin is done in a stressed style ( Photo's may be example only)
    One pic is enough:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DMM135422.JPG 
Views:	435 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	127785  
    Adrian

Adrian Minarovic

Sorry for being harsh, but I believe the other mandolin related products on their web should show their commitment to details if they ever want to sell precision CAD products or files for such prices. If Marty did it that would be another story as he already showed his attention to detail and his work would be undoubtly of high quality.
    Actually, I have complete 3D F5 mandolin files but never even considered putting them for sale. Sooner or later folks would offer parts/ drawings or even straight copies etc. directly created from your files. I already saw copies of my paper drawings...
    Adrian

6. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    And with these high priced files, you can easily build your Lloud Laor replica just like this one on their website: http://www.waldronmusic.com/product_...oducts_id=1624
    Notice the description:

Loar Style Tiger Maple Mandolin Mandolin is done in a stressed style ( Photo's may be example only)
    One pic is enough:
    What do they make em out of ??? my M-14 rifle with line throwing attachment only weighed 11 lbs
    If you want something that "barks" get a damn dog

I see waldron files for $2500, I have access to a 3d scanner and have software to make my own. Having them will help me with fixtures and rough outs but it all comes down to building it. Its not like you can 3D print a wooden mandolin.....Hmmm, I may do a small scale one on the 3d printer for a novelty though. Building a nice one comes down to craftsmanship and the details. I got some of your plans this week Adrian (purchased through Elderly) they are very detailed and will help me. I will post pics of some of the stuff I come up with. Thanks for the input
    CC

seasea67@gmail.com

I see waldron files for $2500, I have access to a 3d scanner and have software to make my own. Having them will help me with fixtures and rough outs but it all comes down to building it. Its not like you can 3D print a wooden mandolin.....Hmmm, I may do a small scale one on the 3d printer for a novelty though. Building a nice one comes down to craftsmanship and the details. I got some of your plans this week Adrian (purchased through Elderly) they are very detailed and will help me. I will post pics of some of the stuff I come up with. Thanks for the input
    CC

seasea67@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pribar View Post
    What do they make em out of ??? my M-14 rifle with line throwing attachment only weighed 11 lbs
    What I wondered at first. With the height and width measurements, it must be with case and packed up ready to ship.

Blog Entries

Wow it weighs as much as 6 or 7 normal mandolins. That tiger maple must be some heavy wood.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by sea sea View Post
    CC
    And when you complete the mandolin, you have to then decide if the resulting tone is optimal, or could have been better. How does one know for sure? Then you make another, and perhaps change a few thicknesses, or shape your arch different.. and hope the new changes result in a better tone.. if it does, then you have to decide if the better tone was the result of your superior skills or simply a better piece of wood... So then you build another, and make a few changes here and there, and then the resulting tone is less than the one before.... now you don't have a clue what happened...

Build em and worry less about cads.

To extend fscotte's point, whether you do it in CAD or manually, do draw up every detail of your instrument. I see instruments regularly with details which could have been avoided if the instrument had been drawn up comprehensively to plot angles, etc. And I know from my own work how easy it is to blow through wood making mistakes if you just dive in without enough preparation.

Notice the description:

One pic is enough:

I hope this is a joke. Looks like they have 9999 available for purchase as well?

The dimensions have to be in there like that so their ecommerce program can calculate shipping correctly when you check out. Most sites require that kind of info for each inventory item, but usually you can hide it and make it behind-the-scenes info.

Sorry, 3 years late to party...... all you guys had to do was contact us direct.......size is for box...... as far as the files they are very extensive and CNC ready and tool paths could have been had. I've returned to General Contracting my lifetime trade but I recently had someone asking about acrylic templates and ran across you...guy's post.....3 years late.....My time is extremely valuable and I wouldn't sell the files for anything less than what I asked originally...... really and truly didn't and don't care if I sold the files..... don't need the money....We are still in business but have a young man running the shop who has no woodworking skills per say....... only computer skills along with normal shop ability.

Attaching some examples of the actual files.... in addition had MS style 20, A-5, F-2, F-4, H-4, H-5 all to the same detail all fully CNC ready.

As far as our model of the F-5 we found a gentleman from Chattanooga who was 94 who had played in the Opry and had an original 1928-1930 Gibson(don't remember the date and don't have time to look up the photo's).... he allowed us to do a laser scan of the top back and neck.....we used a sonar device to determine thickness and the missing details we filled in from Adrian's plans... rest is history. Before you knock the files and the price you probably should do better yourselves.....

Blessings,

KevinClick image for larger version. 

Name:	F-5 Mando TopOutside.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	160922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-5 3D Neck.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	160923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoReversHolding.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	160924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-5 Neck.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	160925Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MS-20.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	160926Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F-2 Ass.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	181.0 KB 
ID:	160927

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Waldron For This Useful Post: