Thread: Craigslist, should I get it?

Default Craigslist, should I get it?

Alright I really hope this doesnt backfire but I wanted to know if you think I should get it?
    https://saginaw.craigslist.org/msd/d...170672429.html

Default Re: Craigslist, should I get it?

When I first wanted to play mandolin I bought a 'cool old bowlback' and honestly as a beginner instrument I found these difficult to play with narrow fretboard, tiny frets, and round body shape. I think you'd be better off with a more modern instrument like the Eastmans, The Loars, and Kentuckys that receive high praise here.
    If you already play.... well that's a different story!

3. The following members say thank you to seg for this post:

G7MOF 

I have an a body already. Im still learning but these are hard to find you know?

I don't know a lot about this particular make, but if it's playable it doesn't sound like a lot of money to me. There are however many people on these forums that know a lot more than me, maybe some of them will respond to you! Good luck!

I feel like that might be a bit much, you can find them on eBay for a fair amount cheaper. I guess that one has the advantage that you may be able to play it in person first. I got my old bowlback for about $110 including shipping if I remember correctly, it's in excellent condition and very playable. Craigslist sellers may be willing to haggle, so you could try making a lower offer.

Its a pawn shop so im going to try to talk em down

Bowlbacks are not particularly hard to play, but if you get it string it with VERY light strings. If you can get them down to $175 I would probably go for it. Be sure the neck is straight and there are no cracks or openings between the staves of the bowl before you buy.

Ok! Easy way to tell about the neck? Also is the front too beat up?

American made, if Ricca made it, late 19th century mid-range mandolin. Seems in decent shape, a fair amount of pick wear around the soundhole, one top crack on the bass side that seems closed.

There's a Ricca mandolin on eBay, in much rougher shape, for $100. Given the fact that the CraigsList one seems to be in playable condition -- which you can ascertain by going to the pawnshop and trying it out -- I'd say it's at least worth making an offer. If you can get them under $200 you're getting value for the price, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thank you!

It's been on CL for over 2 months. I bet they'd be willing to move on the price

Nobody here has mentioned it yet, but bowlbacks have a 13 inch scale, sometimes called a violin scale. Modern mandolins are 14 inch scale, so all the frets are going to be closer together. That will be an adjustment. As far as the beat up front is concerned, I would probably put some shellac over any bare wood to protect it. Qualisole is an easy way to do that. Real French polishing takes a while to learn, Qualisole you just wipe on. You could even do the whole top. The shellac Qualisole leaves behind will prevent any further damage. Check for excessive relief in the neck. There's no truss tod to adjust. These instruments have to be strung with extra lights, and most prop,e don't do that. It could have had lights or mediums on it for a hundred years, pulling the neck out of shape. So look at that closely. And if you get it re string with GHS extra lights. You will probably have to order them, most stores don't carry them.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

If the neck is bent dont bother?

I wouldn't, the work to fix it wouldn't justify the cost. I'd keep an eye on eBay/Reverb/the classifieds here for an old bowlback in your price range, should be able to find something in great condition under $200 before long.

Blog Entries

Not just bent, but if the neck joint to the body is loose or looks like it has been repaired, I would avoid. IMO.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Ill probably just wait until i see something on here

So i went to see it. It was in even worse condition. The guy told me to make an offer. I said there was no way for me to buy it in good conscience in the condition it was in.

I just bough a bowl back from local CL for 40$. It really worth the money as it is in excellent playing condition (after I replace the fret zero as it was too fatty causing high action at the nut and serious intonation at low frets). Soundwise, it is the best out of the few bowl backs I bought in the past (and sold them).
    I have been watching a few bowl back on eBay, between 60$ to 200$ (shipping included). Trouble is no way to know how it sounds.
    You may want to look at some of these.

Old used bowlbacks in good condition are one of the best deals for the money for mandolins I'd say. Plenty of great if modest instruments for $100 or so.

Ive actually had german style oval hole mandolins grow on me.

Quote Originally Posted by xav88 View Post
    Ive actually had german style oval hole mandolins grow on me.
    Not sure whether you should see a doctor about that, or a luthier.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

23. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Is Craigs list actually known by buyers as opposed to sellers?

25. The following members say thank you to firecon for this post: