Thread: Post-war Gewa mandolin

Default Post-war Gewa mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7020.JPG 
Views:	425 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	160637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7022.JPG 
Views:	378 
Size:	5.09 MB 
ID:	160638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7029.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	160639

I have just bought my first mandolin.Not wanting to spend more than 300 euros, I was a bit pessemistic as my local music dealer showed me a modern portugese style model by GEWA, which sounded and felt like a bowl of sawdust. He then took another GEWA model from the wall, which he'd received in a part exchange deal, and which he thought was probably from about 1955. By comparison, this mandolin sang with a sweet voice and resonated clearly, and I was hooked. I'm sure this instrument is nothing to get over-excited about... but I really hadn't hoped to find something with such a nice sound. It has a slightly arched top, with two visible parallel braces, whilst the semi-rounded back is a pattern of 3 different woods which, judging by the edges are solid. I found a photo of an identical instrument on Google, but with no further information. Judging by an archive article (Mandolin Cafe) on German mandolins, it seems to be a fairly typical post-war model, and still has the original GEWA tag on it. The label inside reads "Walthari Mittenwald". The scale is c 13 1/8 " and the nut width is 1".
    I'm not really seeking further information as such - I just thought it might be of some interest, to someone (not that I'm selling...). I paid 250 euros for it - well set up, and with Thomastik (nickel) strings.When I consider how superior the sound is to a new model, I feel as though it was a good deal. What do you think?
    I've included 3 photos .
    "What's that funny guitar thing..?"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim N For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Post-war Gewa mandolin

Well, you paid slightly more than you'd pay for a new Gewa Pro Natura mandolin at Thomann, but if you like it, that's what counts.

The new Gewa is a lot like yours, though yours has more marquetry in the back. This style, though called "Portuguese," seems often found in German-made instruments.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

It's really pretty. You like the sound, it was within your budget parameters—what's not to love? Play it in good health.

A little bit expensive for a domeback, but probably because of the marquetry in the back. If you like the sound and it's well set up and easy to play enjoy it. congrats
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Did you check the straightness of the neck? With no truss rod or any other neck reinforcement that I'm aware of, that could be a problem if it had been strung too heavily in the past, a common issue. Measure the action and relief. If it feels ok though, it probably is ok. Which Thomastiks are you using? They come in weich, mittel, and stark (soft, medium, hard). I would use weich to be safe and minimize the chances of any neck issues developing.

I like the marquetry! I think for the price you did great!

FWIW, The newer Gewa instruments are no longer made in Germany. Production is outsourced to Romania, most likely at the Hora facility. The new ones receive mixed reviews. I think having one made in Germany adds some value, in my opinion.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Enjoy your mandolin. Anything that is comfortable to play and inspires you to use it is money well spent.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

The dealer I bought it from is a mandolin player, and set up the insrument and put the strings on himself. I'm not certain which gauge strings they are, but will ask next time. The neck looks straight and it plays well at the nut end (where I am likely to stay). Originally I'd been hoping to find something with a wider neck, but have surprised myself at being able to get a clean sound on just an inch's width of fretboard - when I hit the right string, and as a learner I know I've got a huge way to go!
    I can't say I'm overly keen on the top marquetry, but I can live with it! My only reservation about the back is the white plastic button in the middle which just seems wrong! However, I don't need to look at it....

This is the kind I started with long time ago and it came out very well :-)
    And if you consider the price for a set of my favourite Thomastik strings (40-50,- Euros) you paid a fair price :-)
    You can take the white plastic button out and exchange it with a little dark one or leave the little hole open - it won't change the sound :-)
    Keep picking :-)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandotini For This Useful Post:

I never thought of removing the button. - I probably would have reckoned the whole thing would fall apart....!