Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Perry - Gianna's definitely relocating Chicago

Default Steve Perry - Gianna's definitely relocating Chicago

Looks like a transition over the next six months. Not sure where to put a workshop, but it will be somewhere. Going to run both places for a while, so can pick up drop off instruments in Chicago area. Regular trips through Cincinnati and Indy as well.

Business changing to Appalachian Violin Company, mainly own trade line. But will still be doing mandolin work.

Considering just renting a garage or other industrial type space for a proper workshop. Anyone got anywhere? We'll be west loop for a while, then who knows. Have to be within the city limits to live, but I could have a shop outside. Will consider a space sharing arrangement.

If I had a co-owner, I would consider a retail location, but there's not enough of me considering my health to solo it.

Looking forward to meeting all kinds of new mandolin people.
    Stephen Perry

Default Re: Steve Perry - Gianna's definitely relocating Chicago

Hey Steve why are you moving to Chicago this is a big move for Country Bumpkin to the big city 😀😎

You might try getting in touch with Hogeye Music in Evanston? Been around for a pretty long time (est. 1978) specializing in folksy/acoustic instruments sales & repair. Now I think gradually winding down (I could be wrong!) & maybe willing to advise on workspaces etc.
    Also maybe get in touch with the Old Town School of Folk Music.

4. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post:

Will do on Hogeye.

Rebecca, my special person, got a hoidy toidy job in Chicago and is from there originally, knows the place and people. Has culture and all that. I'll get some fancy pinstripe overalls and do the town.
    Stephen Perry

6. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

It ain't gonna be the same round here without you.

Come wintertime, I'm likely to be back. No dog sledding in Chicago. I was mistaken about that.
    Stephen Perry

I second the Old Town School of Folk Music as a resource if nothing else. I'm out in Geneva - suburb in western Chicagoland, but spent years in the city. Lots going on in terms of folk music - many interested people in Bucktown and Logan Square neighborhoods. Many others I'm sure. If you ever need a hand with anything, or just some Chicago info, give me a shout.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

I'm sort of just along for the ride. Primary role as kept man, house husband, cook. Oh, and researching where to spend vacations via random motorcycle tours!

Think we'll have a small apartment in town for a year and then jump to something closer to wherever she ends up being stationed.
    Stephen Perry

Searching for the Sound

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    I'm sort of just along for the ride. Primary role as kept man, house husband, cook. Oh, and researching where to spend vacations via random motorcycle tours!

Think we'll have a small apartment in town for a year and then jump to something closer to wherever she ends up being stationed.
    Come on up to MKE for some motorcycling !!! The HD Museum is a great place to meet the riding community ....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

Had that very idea, mtm. I have a big V twin, but the engine is in properly instead of those Harley things with the rear cylinder blanketed. Got those big jugs out in the wind where they belong!
    Stephen Perry

Hi Stephen. I hope you are able to make the best of this situation. I know it would be hard for me to have to leave such a location as your present one. (Even if all I had was a Moto Guzzi. Just kidding!!!)

I don't get down to that area much anymore though. I do end up in Chicago every now and then on business. Maybe if/when you do get some sort of shop up and running, I'll get a chance to check it out. Maybe some Mandovoodoo in my future!

Best wishes.

Got those big jugs out in the wind where they belong!
    Good luck with the move, always nice to mix things up and it is a great city. You'll be fighting the current of people fleeing the state on your way here, but just ignore that. Everything is just fine. Completely normal and ok. Make sure you have at least 1600 dollars in change for the tolls on your way in.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

You might want to peruse the map at this site to assist in choosing a neighborhood. (You'll have to scroll down a bit to see the map).

Good luck.

http://heyjackass.com/

I think we're going floor to ceiling glass high rise with view in tiny size. Put the bikes and a car in a rental space at the end of a rail line. But hey, I've lived in slums before! I'll have to practice carrying my two short knives, get my CCW and tune up the old Sig, practice with the blackthorn "walking stick" etc.

Actually, just looking poor and dirty kept me out of trouble in the past. I have that down pat!
    Stephen Perry

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    ... Moto Guzzi. ...
    Was it Moto Guzzi that had/has the drive-shaft instead of a chain?

I saw one in the 1960s I think it was, at a motorcycle dealer when we were there looking at other stuff. I remember thinking it was pretty neat & logical technology.

I was riding enduro (dirt) bikes at the time, (later I switched over to trials, the slow-speed stuff), and I never really fancied the nuisance of dealing with the drive chain, getting it tensioned right, getting the back wheel aligned right so it wasn't trying to track sideways... that made the idea of a shaft-drive seem all the more appealing. But I wouldn't have been able to physically handle a larger bike off-road, I was good for about a 250 and that's it (135-pound girl here), preferably smaller - my fav was the 125 trials because if I got it stuck in the mud somewhere I could physically pick it up and carry it if necessary. Anyway, you folks who ride the big street bikes have my respect!
    Last edited by Jess L.; Sep-12-2017 at 2:38am.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Well...Yes and No. There are (or at least there were) Guzzis that were chain drive. And there are certainly other motorcycles than Moto Guzzis with shaft drive. The distinguishing feature most associated with Moto Guzzi is the 90 degree V-Twin engine that is mounted with the cylinders sticking out each side of the bike. Even that feature isn't unique to Moto Guzzi. Indian Motorcycles built a similar design at one time.

Anyway, I was just taking a little dig at Mr. Perry for his crack about the Harley motor. It's sort of a good-natured feud that has been raging between different types of M.C. enthusiasts since 1903 or so!

...I have a big V twin, but the engine is in properly instead of those Harley things with the rear cylinder blanketed. Got those big jugs out in the wind where they belong!
    And although I did have a comment or two relating to his last sentence, I've decided to keep them under wraps... unexposed.

19. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Violins, Mandolins and Moto Guzzi... Si !

Violins , Mandolins and Harley.. not so Si !

I have owned and purchased new:
    1980 CX100 (Le Mans II)
    1984 Le Mans III
    5 Moto Morinis. 72 degree V Twins.

Guzzi will keep both shins warm. : )

Best of luck Steve.

Blog Entries

Had that very idea, mtm. I have a big V twin, but the engine is in properly instead of those Harley things with the rear cylinder blanketed. Got those big jugs out in the wind where they belong!
    I'd love to see a picture of that motorcycle This is a remarkably funny thread even though it is about make a move into the frying pan.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Sep-12-2017 at 10:10am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Steve I wish you well. Hard to imagine you in the Chi Town, but we follow our heart. You will be missed down here.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    I'd love to see a picture of that motorcycle This is a remarkably funny thread even though it is about make a move into the frying pan.
    Try https://killboy.photoreflect.com/sto...po=604&pc=3593 for a picture.

I think I'll be fine in my glass tower with my books and cooking. Maybe. I'll take my x country skis!
    Stephen Perry

24. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Kalamazoo isn't that far, and there are some very interesting sites to see between hither and yonder or even beyond!
    Keep in touch!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I think we're going floor to ceiling glass high rise with view in tiny size. Put the bikes and a car in a rental space at the end of a rail line. But hey, I've lived in slums before! I'll have to practice carrying my two short knives, get my CCW and tune up the old Sig, practice with the blackthorn "walking stick" etc.

Actually, just looking poor and dirty kept me out of trouble in the past. I have that down pat!
    I've managed to get the slightly disreputable look down. Well washed metal band tee shirts, scuffed up boots, four day growth, and torn pants. I live on one of the nicer streets on the wrong side of the tracks, and when walking through the poorer neighborhood on the way to the store, people can get downright friendly. Not so much when I cross the tracks into the $2 million house territory.

I get a haircut twice a year weather I need it or not.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Mine is 740 lbs, 1400 cc, air and oil cooled (0-60W oil), dry clutch with flywheel, six speed separate gearbox, shaft. Is counterbalanced or something, but still gives a nice kick on takeoff, like a P51. Fly by wire, ABS, traction control, cruise control, custom made Hagan shocks. I find things wrong with it, but then I ride something else, anything else!

No idea how many mandolins it will carry, a lot!
    Stephen Perry

28. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop, the Twilight Zone!

Ha! Change jokes aside, Congratulation to you and Rebecca on her new job and your shift in GPS coordinances
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Mine is 740 lbs, 1400 cc, air and oil cooled (0-60W oil), dry clutch with flywheel, six speed separate gearbox, shaft. Is counterbalanced or something, but still gives a nice kick on takeoff, like a P51. Fly by wire, ABS, traction control, cruise control, custom made Hagan shocks. I find things wrong with it, but then I ride something else, anything else!

No idea how many mandolins it will carry, a lot!
    Wow! Cool!