Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a fine Loar mandolin "Bench-copy/Tribute"

Default Anatomy of a fine Loar mandolin "Bench-copy/Tribute"

I will start this by building a backbone of photo posts and then discuss them by editing. Please bear with me and let me get going before posting and asking questions. It will take me a while here. Thanks

Front and back photos. Hopefully Scott will fix these

OK. The first bit of commentary.

The first thing that comes to mind here for everyone will be the ethics of creating an instrument like this. So, I would like to get my views out of the way.

I will ride the middle road and lean towards condoning it with caveats.

Most every known maker has put the Gibson name on one or many of his instruments in the past. The list includes Nuggets, Gilchrist, Randy Wood, Givens, Ward, Kirk, Henderson, myself and a host of many others.

For centuries, the French, Italians, Germans and tons of others have produced high quality fine violin tributes to the Masters of the arts like Strad, Guanari and so forth.

This phenomenon is all done with complete respect to the original Master as a tribute. It is rarely done as an act of deception.

There are also tens of thousands of Gibson banjos in existence bearing no Gibson parts.

On the other side of the coin. One of these Loar type instruments on the open market could pose a problem as there are so few people that are qualified to debunk one.

In the violin marker, this is not particularly a problem. If you read an auction sale catalog on violins, the phrase "attributed to" comes up over and over. 99% of the time we are not speaking to an unlabeled violin. We are speaking to a violin with say a Strad label that is attributed to the shop of so and so.

Back to the subject instrument at hand. This example can fool many. But, I am sure the builders intent is not to pass it off as real from financial standpoint, just like the violins mentioned.

So, I kind of condone it, but I wonder where things may lie on it 50 years from now.

I will continue to edit all of these posts with specific comments. Taking a break now, but always start from the top here until I say done. Feel free to start discussing now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3576.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	851.3 KB 
ID:	160580

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	590.7 KB 
ID:	160581

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_3578.jpg 
Views:	659 
Size:	665.7 KB 
ID:	160582

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_3579.jpg 
Views:	698 
Size:	474.3 KB 
ID:	160583

reserved for comments
    Last edited by Darryl Wolfe; Sep-09-2017 at 10:05am.
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darryl Wolfe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Anatomy of a fine Loar mandolin "Bench-copy/Tribute"

Post #2

Name:	IMG_7207.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	160584

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7208.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	429.3 KB 
ID:	160585

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7209.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	160586

reserved for comments
    Last edited by Darryl Wolfe; Sep-09-2017 at 10:01am.
    www.f5journal.com

Post #3

Name:	IMG_7212.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	160587

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7211.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	160588

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7206.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	160589

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7202.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	513.0 KB 
ID:	160590

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7203.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	160591
    Last edited by Darryl Wolfe; Sep-09-2017 at 10:02am.
    www.f5journal.com

5. The following members say thank you to Darryl Wolfe for this post:

Post #4

Name:	IMG_7217.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	263.6 KB 
ID:	160593

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7210.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	364.9 KB 
ID:	160592

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7215.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	664.7 KB 
ID:	160594

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7214.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	564.1 KB 
ID:	160595

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_7213.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	447.6 KB 
ID:	160596

reserved for comments

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	470.6 KB 
ID:	160597

reserved for comments
    Last edited by Darryl Wolfe; Sep-09-2017 at 10:08am.
    www.f5journal.com

7. The following members say thank you to Darryl Wolfe for this post:

Fine line between "tribute" and "counterfeit." I would at least want an interior label stating the true maker and vintage.

Putting another's trademarked name on your creation is illegal, as far as I know. I have two instruments (Martin guitar and Gibson banjo) that have components not factory-made, but labeled with the original maker's name. They also have substantial Martin and Gibson components; they've been re-made (nylon-string guitar into steel-string, guitar-banjo into five-string), and the added parts have the Martin and Gibson trademarks on them

That's about as close as I'd care to come.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

9. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Looks like Mr. Vessels recent "TRIBUTE" achievement with the virzi! Yes I'm impressed and if I had the cash right now I'd BUY without a second thought, I know what it is a Vessel, I'm sure his name is in there somewhere, inside top maybe?! Better than what I've seen by any maker including those Gibson MM's and Distressed MM's! Awesome plain and simple! I see nothing wrong with it, its a tribute to the finest mandolins in the world and one who knows original Loars there is small differences but not many. And as you pointed out Darryl most every maker has put the Gibson inlay and labels in their mandolins. This has been going on in the violin world for centuries! It's a true work of art that hopefully sounds the part also, I've only had the privilege to drool at the photos!
    Gibson banjos have been so modified over the years if you don't know banjos one can be fooled real quick out of loads of cash. Hard to find an all original pre-war Gibson banjo these days unless like I said you seriously know your stuff!
    With this mandolin as long as people are honest and know what they're looking at I see nothing wrong with it. If I can sell some of my instruments soon I'd buy this one for possibly the greatest tribute mandolin out there and to my knowledge Mr. Vessel has only done a few, A friend of ours in Canada has one and loves it and he knows original Loars as he has a few and has owned loads of them! This is a work of art that gives respect to the Gibson Company in my thought process anyway. This is how it should be done once again. Did I mention what a wonderful example? LOL! The only thing is are those relic tuners, they need to be redone and plated and engraved or get original Waverly arrowhead tuners from cheap 1924 banjolins and rework them and plate em in gold or silver and engrave with the flowers/oak leaves etc.. Then those would be the "envy" tuning machines of the mando world for us Geeks! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! This will be my new build type mandolin purchase with all luck the start of the new year. What a Tribute to the GREATEST instrument company ever. Just all my personal opinion and I wouldn't shy away from that horn!

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Fine line between "tribute" and "counterfeit." I would at least want an interior label stating the true maker and vintage.

Putting another's trademarked name on your creation is illegal, as far as I know. I have two instruments (Martin guitar and Gibson banjo) that have components not factory-made, but labeled with the original maker's name. They also have substantial Martin and Gibson components; they've been re-made (nylon-string guitar into steel-string, guitar-banjo into five-string), and the added parts have the Martin and Gibson trademarks on them

That's about as close as I'd care to come.
    Comments of this nature are welcome, and will be an integral part of this discussion. However, let's not derail the whole thing on the side subject until I have I accomplished my main purpose of the thread.

That purpose is to critique this instrument in detail and to provide some educational comparisons between it and the "real thing".
    www.f5journal.com

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Darryl Wolfe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

On original Loars wasn't the body points/protectors dovetailed "I think that's the word I want to use, but no builder here!"into the mandolin binding at a slant? I know on my 35 F-12 they're dovetailed like the Loars my 36 F-5 fern is the same way but my later F-7's aren't, not sure on my 34 F-7 as that's getting some mods right now at R.Woods. This tribute doesn't look like the points go into the binding? Maybe I need to blow up the pix for a better look?

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    On original Loars wasn't the body points/protectors dovetailed "I think that's the word I want to use, but no builder here!"into the mandolin binding at a slant? I know on my 35 F-12 they're dovetailed like the Loars my 36 F-5 fern is the same way but my later F-7's aren't, not sure on my 34 F-7 as that's getting some mods right now at R.Woods. This tribute doesn't look like the points go into the binding? Maybe I need to blow up the pix for a better look?
    They are and this is
    www.f5journal.com

15. The following members say thank you to Darryl Wolfe for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Wolfe View Post

That purpose is to critique this instrument in detail and to provide some educational comparisons between it and the "real thing".
    I've played this mandolin, and if I was a pro player lugging a Loar--which can be a total PITA, especially at borders--I'd grab this one in a heartbeat...
    Or, better yet, ship my Loar to Gary and have him make a bench copy with all the right wood, thicknesses, etc.
    It just makes too much sense, ya know?...

The label can totally be the tell, as it should be...
    Hard to get that one "right", with the signature and all...
    I think I'd leave it unsigned...

These things really start to look good after a few years of real wear is added to the faked...

17. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

Excuse my ignorance, once again. I am assuming a "bench copy" means an original was on his workbench and exact measurements, photos, etc. were taken to use as a reference in making this?

At the risk of being rude, what does something like this cost to have made? I have no idea if we are talking $5K, $10K, or $30K...

As I have mentioned before, very nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, once again. I am assuming a "bench copy" means an original was on his workbench and exact measurements, photos, etc. were taken to use as a reference in making this?
    Yep...
    It really helps to have the actual instrument in front of you...
    Most violin folks don't get all that anal about exactly copying an instrument...more like capturing the spirit of the thing...
    I get pics all the time from folks copying fiddles, to see if I can match the wood...
    It's fun to try at least get the wood right...it's one reason I save all the curvy-grained sets of spruce that might wind up in the fireplace otherwise...

Check out the back on Gary's copy--a slip-matched set of maple...
    Very Loarish...

...and I know of at least one modern maker who intentionally seeks out off-quarter spruce for Loarish builds. It results in a "cloudy" appearance that you see under a lot of Loar 'bursts, and rarely in modern builds...it's too easy to get quartered spruce these days, and most makers expect it...
    So-ooo, I'd use off-quarter red spruce and add one more authentic touch...

20. The following members say thank you to Spruce for this post:

dang 

Blog Entries

Right on Darryl, I had to blow up the photos to really look at it better, even more impressed with her!

I see the value of the bench copy and the practical use. I also see the inherent trouble with one. "Is you is or, is you ain't my baby?" the tribute is an admirable homage to the original to be sure but the ethical ramifications are where things get "hinkey" for the reasons stated in the OP. Deception or tribute, there's the rub. Given full disclosure I really am impressed by the caliber of workmanship andattention to detail, the "little things" really make the difference. I am not an expert by any means but, I am an appreciative audience to be sure.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Comments of this nature are welcome, and will be an integral part of this discussion. However, let's not derail the whole thing on the side subject until I have I accomplished my main purpose of the thread.

The question I would like to see an answer to is this:
    "Is it possible to build an F5 copy that would fool the 'experts'?"
    Gary's latest is certainly the closest I've seen, but i don't know if you could get it to pass past some of the folks around here...

A 30's copy might gain less scrutiny, no?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Surely a fine mandolin, but hardly a copy to fool any expert IMHO. The body scroll binding mitre looks 30s/40s (doesn't go far enough), the fb binding is early Loar style (although the aim is late 24). There may, indeed, be a Loar with the script and flower pot this far left and low on the peg head, but it looks odd at first sight. (Wouldn't expect the low flower pot that low, I mean. Haven't checked the archives, yet.) And isn't the plain white binding not at least rare in a non- Fern Loar?
    Thanks Darryl, an interesting thread.

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    The question I would like to see an answer to is this:
    Gary's latest is certainly the closest I've seen, but i don't know if you could get it to pass past some of the folks around here...

A 30's copy might gain less scrutiny, no?
    I don't want to be the bad one, but without need to enlarge it was clear it's not real thing after seeing the second tumbnail.
    Mandolin that was closest to Loar in construction details IMO, was built by Bill Halsey, had he added aging (and some sloppines to his otherwise perfect workmanship) and Gibson logo that would be hard to tell from original.

DOn't take this as critique of your work (Gary), the mandolin looks mighty fine and may sond better that any Loar, I'm just comparing tiny details I leared to see on real Loars during my work on F-5drawings.
    I didn't comment in the previous thread about this mandolin but Darryl outright asked for it now and this is my heart topic...

I'll try to write few things but will elaborate later tomorrow it time permits.
    First of all the body shape is not authentic, I don't know why but the scroll is bit bulky and the flow of curves is not correct, there were variations among Loars but this one has specific flavor to curves... perhaps made on inside form? Carving of the scroll doesn't have the style and the fingerboard extension is too wide (could be optical illusion, but I noticed it on several pics so possibly not). The fingerboard has modern scale length which would indicate replacement on Loar, not incommon but in such cases replacement is usually noticeable at the joint as well, this one wants to look like original board.
    The recurve on top is carried too far towards neck, I don't remember seeing loar with such reflection of light, but again this could be optical illusion from photography. On the rear view the headstock underlay veneer goes too far into neck, on Loars it typically terminates right under nut. On the same picture the small hole in the small scroll of headstock is way too small, typically almost 3/16" diameter round hole in this case barely 1/8", the larger scroll ends too soon and well rounded while Loars typically had this more or less square as left from bandsaw blade. I think I've never seen GA tuners on Loars, they prefer Wavs or ALessi. The back of headstock looks too clean, these veneers tyically show network of tiny cracks in finish, perhaps reaction from the blackening process. The curve of body at the heel button doesn't look right and button is tad wider as well as the scroll carving and shape of scroll button is not spot on.
    The binding joints on headstock are not done like on Loars. Shape of headstock would be closer to later period Fern, not Loar, especially teh small scroll. he Parl nut is done in modern fashion - of course could be repplaced easily.
    The binding looks bit high and the dovetails of protectors are typically only on the side of the protector facing tailpiece.
    The fingerboard support is too bulky and rounded and the black color doeasn't look natural, should be BR or ME wood, with 45 degrees chamfers and very little smoohing with sandpaper. The contact surface with top looks longer and gap too tight.
    The step between binding finish and wood finish is mostly nonexistent or too small.
    The HHG sqeeze out on back visible through f hole... all Gibsons of the era had the back glued first and pretty nicely cleaned (but the top joint shows glue runs)
    Neck heel button is not shaped with angled edge like on originals (one of the hardest parts of copying IMO)
    The straight shape of the joint between body and neck suggest mortised neck? Carving of rise of scrolls is way too abrupt (much better visible on pics in the old thread) https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-replica/page2
    On the next pics looks like unusually thick fingerboard (is it mismatched white binding? Is there another '24 with that?) and very high bridge - unusual for Loar.
    There's no wear at the hole for pickguard holding bracket - normally the finish would be at least slightly compressed.
    I may be wrong in any of above writing just from memory and posted computer pics
    All for now
    Adrian

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

A lot of pictures get distorted when taken with a digital cameras...I sent some photos to a friend of a real Loar but didn`t tell him it was in fact a real Loar and he said it had some flaws with the body scroll so I don`t put much stock in digital photos being sent over the Internet.....

Willie

Goood job, Adrian, I learned some again - thanks.

30. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Blog Entries

Your not the only one Henry, I'm starting think Adrian is a mandolin Wizard or X-Man or something, he sees what well this amateur doesn't, but I'm far from a Loar expert, know some things but wow Lots to learn for sure but when you don't have access to a real Loar and have only got to see a few I guess that's what I expect. To me it's still a hell of a tribute that I'd be proud to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Goood job, Adrian, I learned some again - thanks.
    +1! Really fascinating thread. There's a part of me though, that sincerely hopes these observations are not in any way hurtful to the talented builder. (I know they're not meant to be.)

If my own activity is any indication, I'll bet the 'Mandolin Archive' has had a noticeable uptick in visits since yesterday.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Sep-10-2017 at 9:01am.

33. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

What a fun thread, thanks to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by HoGo View Post
    I don't want to be the bad one, but without need to enlarge it was clear it's not real thing after seeing the second tumbnail.
    Mandolin that was closest to Loar in construction details IMO, was built by Bill Halsey, had he added aging (and some sloppines to his otherwise perfect workmanship) and Gibson logo that would be hard to tell from original.

DOn't take this as critique of your work (Gary), the mandolin looks mighty fine and may sond better that any Loar, I'm just comparing tiny details I leared to see on real Loars during my work on F-5drawings.
    I didn't comment in the previous thread about this mandolin but Darryl outright asked for it now and this is my heart topic...

I'll try to write few things but will elaborate later tomorrow it time permits.
    First of all the body shape is not authentic, I don't know why but the scroll is bit bulky and the flow of curves is not correct, there were variations among Loars but this one has specific flavor to curves... perhaps made on inside form? Carving of the scroll doesn't have the style and the fingerboard extension is too wide (could be optical illusion, but I noticed it on several pics so possibly not). The fingerboard has modern scale length which would indicate replacement on Loar, not incommon but in such cases replacement is usually noticeable at the joint as well, this one wants to look like original board.
    The recurve on top is carried too far towards neck, I don't remember seeing loar with such reflection of light, but again this could be optical illusion from photography. On the rear view the headstock underlay veneer goes too far into neck, on Loars it typically terminates right under nut. On the same picture the small hole in the small scroll of headstock is way too small, typically almost 3/16" diameter round hole in this case barely 1/8", the larger scroll ends too soon and well rounded while Loars typically had this more or less square as left from bandsaw blade. I think I've never seen GA tuners on Loars, they prefer Wavs or ALessi. The back of headstock looks too clean, these veneers tyically show network of tiny cracks in finish, perhaps reaction from the blackening process. The curve of body at the heel button doesn't look right and button is tad wider as well as the scroll carving and shape of scroll button is not spot on.
    The binding joints on headstock are not done like on Loars. Shape of headstock would be closer to later period Fern, not Loar, especially teh small scroll. he Parl nut is done in modern fashion - of course could be repplaced easily.
    The binding looks bit high and the dovetails of protectors are typically only on the side of the protector facing tailpiece.
    The fingerboard support is too bulky and rounded and the black color doeasn't look natural, should be BR or ME wood, with 45 degrees chamfers and very little smoohing with sandpaper. The contact surface with top looks longer and gap too tight.
    The step between binding finish and wood finish is mostly nonexistent or too small.
    The HHG sqeeze out on back visible through f hole... all Gibsons of the era had the back glued first and pretty nicely cleaned (but the top joint shows glue runs)
    Neck heel button is not shaped with angled edge like on originals (one of the hardest parts of copying IMO)
    The straight shape of the joint between body and neck suggest mortised neck? Carving of rise of scrolls is way too abrupt (much better visible on pics in the old thread) https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...-replica/page2
    On the next pics looks like unusually thick fingerboard (is it mismatched white binding? Is there another '24 with that?) and very high bridge - unusual for Loar.
    There's no wear at the hole for pickguard holding bracket - normally the finish would be at least slightly compressed.
    I may be wrong in any of above writing just from memory and posted computer pics
    All for now
    A question I've been wanting to ask for quite some time now....how the hell did you glean so-ooo much knowledge about these instruments considering the fact that you are encamped in Banska Bystrica, Slovakia, Europe???
    Not exactly Loar Country...

Are we seeing the power of the interwebs here?

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    Maybe "no", huh?

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Looking at Adrian's work, it's understandable that he knows his stuff: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...rian-Minarovic
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

38. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

OK, sorry folks. I have been extremely busy

I am going to make this post and then go back and make comments by the photos.

HOGO's analysis is pretty spot on. And he probably knows that some of my photos were taken in order to illustrate some of the minor details

I will summarize a lot by saying this is one of the finest tributes I have seen, but it photographs in a flattering way. It looks really right on first photo impression and many of the minor issues hide until you study further. I have this mandolin in-hand and purposely extended by first impression on it by only taking it out of the case for a couple minutes at a time when I first received it.

I have spoken to Gary about my first impression when I received the mandolin in hand. That impression I can only describe as "Masculine"

The minor "errors" are quite small in dimension, but collectively they add up to a look and feel of "too bulky here", "not smooth enough there".

I will detail in my comments by the photos, but the biggest hitters are the height of the scroll ridge, the size of the center of the body scroll, the distance from front to back at the flat button of the body scroll, the neck set angle, the dimension/height of the neck out of the body and the thickness of the fingerboard and the associated binding

Those items are off by only like 1/32". But they collectively add up in one focal area to affect the overall sleek femininity a loar displays.

I may not get done with my edits today, but keep looking for comments in conjunction with the original photos.
    www.f5journal.com

40. The following members say thank you to Darryl Wolfe for this post: