Thread: New Hwy 49 day

Default New Hwy 49 day

I went against my better judgement and ordered a new Hey 49 tenor . This one has the distressed steel look. I have been previously convinced that a resonator needs a National cone.
    This one sounds great!
    At one point I had a 6 string National Reso Rocket. This has all the look of that one with a smaller body and a tenor neck. The nut is wiiiide, and I like it that way. It's loud. I won't be able to play it while the Mrs. watches baseball, this will go into my basement office and the 5-17T will come upstairs.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornfield For This Useful Post:

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: New Hwy 49 day

Sounds interesting, any pictures?

I've been playing it non stop for 90 minutes. I'll grab my phone later ad snap some shots of the Hwy 49 and the Martin together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0258.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	160598

Two tenors. They make me dizzy!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornfield For This Useful Post:

I'm still new to playing in fifths tuning.

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Seems like you have paired up nicely

Sounds good.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Glad to see they are making them again. I had one a few years back, a chrome model, that was a nice compliment to my National Triolian. Alas when I down sized my collection it went out the door, the National has too much mojo to let go of.

It sounds good and you will not regret the satin finish, the chrome was too much to maintain. Play on.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Yes, I like the "distressed steel" look. No fingerprints or smudges to worry about. It has an "old" look and feel to it.
    I also bought a Johnson resonator mandolin, a second so it was incredibly cheap. That one is shiny and I'm trying to figure out how to paint it so that it looks old and beat up.

After a week of great enjoyment the guitar has developed an awful buzzing. I don't know if is from the tailpiece or from inside. I'm away from my toolbox for the weekend so not much that I can do besides listen to the bees.

It and you are settling in to each other. Keep in mind that any pressure you put on the strings near the bridge can cause the cone to move/bend forward, backward, etc. It doesn't take much to start things rattling around if you're not careful.

That's not to say they need to be babied - just learn to play within their limits.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    It and you are settling in to each other.
    It's also settling into its new environment. When I purchase a new instrument from a distance, I find it will often run sharp for the first week or so as it is acclimating to the increased humidity here compared to its previous home. When I hear about buzzes, my first thought is that the instrument might be shedding water due to decreased humidity levels.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    It's also settling into its new environment. When I purchase a new instrument from a distance, I find it will often run sharp for the first week or so as it is acclimating to the increased humidity here compared to its previous home. When I hear about buzzes, my first thought is that the instrument might be shedding water due to decreased humidity levels.
    It's a metal resonator, I don't think humidity is the culprit in this case.

16. The following members say thank you to Cornfield for this post:

AFAIK the Johnson doesn't have a truss-rod, or any neck reinforcement for that matter, so the neck may be adjusting to things like string tension, etc. The necks on some of my instruments need a bit of a truss-rod tweak seemingly twice a year as the seasons change, so that may be a possibility as well.

Once you and your Johnson settle in to each other you'll have many happy hours together I'm sure. Enjoy!

- ---==< V >==--- -

AFAIK the Johnson doesn't have a truss-rod, or any neck reinforcement for that matter, so the neck may be adjusting to things like string tension, etc. The necks on some of my instruments need a bit of a truss-rod tweak seemingly twice a year as the seasons change, so that may be a possibility as well.

Once you and your Johnson settle in to each other you'll have many happy hours together I'm sure. Enjoy!
    The Republic guitars have truss rods. I also have a Johnson mandolin. You are correct in that the Johnson does not have a truss rod.

I have made left several messages at Republic Guitars about the buzzing noise but they have not yet responded. I would hate to have to return this guitar but if I can't resolve the problems, that may be my only option.

Cornfield: sorry for confusing your Republic with your Johnson.

I would only consider returning being warranted if there was some structural defect. The buzzing and other noises, especially on a resonator, are common and require a good setup by someone who knows what they are doing. Factory setups are often far from satisfactory so getting it setup to your particulars is a necessity step with any new instrument IMHO and should be budgeted as a routine expense.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Before the buzz, I recorded this:

Cornfield: sorry for confusing your Republic with your Johnson.

I would only consider returning being warranted if there was some structural defect. The buzzing and other noises, especially on a resonator, are common and require a good setup by someone who knows what they are doing. Factory setups are often far from satisfactory so getting it setup to your particulars is a necessity step with any new instrument IMHO and should be budgeted as a routine expense.

I've owned several resonators. A 6 string National Reso-Rocket, a 1930 pear shaped National tenor guitar, a Mya-Moe resonator Tenor Ukulele, a Mya-Moe Lap Steel resonator Ukulele, a Big Rusty Russ Morin resonator ukulele, a John Morton resonator tenor ukulele and a Johnson resonator ukulele. None of them ever got buzzing like this.

Frank just called back from Republic and said it was OK to open it up and make adjustments, that it wouldn't void the warranty.

Frank is a genius! Or at least he is smarter than my dumb ass. He said the first thing I should try is loosening the strings and check that the biscuit it straight. The buzz is gone!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornfield For This Useful Post:

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Looks like your having fun Cornfield. I wanted one of these for awhile. And, when I got around to
    getting one they stopped making them for a few years. When they started to produce them again
    I was holding out for one like yours or even better one of their antique rust ones. Then, one of
    their shiny chrome ones fell into my lap. It had an exceptional professional setup. Was in great
    shape [9.5]. And, had a very good used price. I couldn't let it go. Maybe I'll leave it in the garden
    next year when I'm watering.
    vincit qui se vincit

Quote Originally Posted by GKWilson View Post
    Looks like your having fun Cornfield. I wanted one of these for awhile. And, when I got around to
    getting one they stopped making them for a few years. When they started to produce them again
    I was holding out for one like yours or even better one of their antique rust ones. Then, one of
    their shiny chrome ones fell into my lap. It had an exceptional professional setup. Was in great
    shape [9.5]. And, had a very good used price. I couldn't let it go. Maybe I'll leave it in the garden
    next year when I'm watering.
    Was that the one from Elderly? I have a shiny chrome colored Johnson Mandolin that I would like to giva an aged look to. If you figure out a way to get the rustic look on yours, please let me know.

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

No not Elderly. It was a private sale. I prefer the old and used look but I don't
    think I will ever play with the finish.
    vincit qui se vincit