Thread: Wood suggestions

Default Wood suggestions

Howdy. It's that time agai. Time to buy wood and build another carved top. What are yalls latest suggestions on wood? Looking to buy top, sides, back and neck. Also. Does not using a truss rod, and doing a bolt on neck make me a bad person . I have done it that way in the past and haven't seen problems with the neck bending.

Mark

Default Re: Wood suggestions

All of this depends on what you want to spent.. You can find figured maple at most hardwood stores and even at Lowe's and Home Depot.. Other hardwoods are totally your choice and the look you want.. Tops are a little different.. You can get some really fine spruce in different types, but it will cost more and usually comes from tone wood suppliers.. Other types of top woods can very from fir, cedar, and many other kinds as well.. I am building an A style right now using cedar (rough sawed 3 sides) that I found at Lowe's for just a few dollars a board foot.. My next custom build is going to be with lace wood for the back, and sides, and neck and spruce for the top.. If you use other exotic woods, make sure they're not skin sensitive.. Some can even cause breathing problems.... Keith
    kterry

3. The following members say thank you to buckhorn for this post:

If you buy from Bruce Harvie, you'll be surprised how little you spent and how good the wood is.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Second the nod to Bruce Harvie.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billhay4 For This Useful Post:

Bruce is without a doubt possibly the hippest guy selling wood in the country and he definitely knows more about fine mandolins and mandolin building that probably all of the other sellers combined, not to mention where else can you buy your wood in person and then walk down the road and spend the rest of the night at Doe Bay Hotsprings????????

Buying wood over the mail is like getting a Russian bride over the internet; those pretty pictures don't really tell you anything about what you will be getting. Go on a "spruce expedition" and visit the shop in person. You will get to go through thousands of boards, learning a ton. Everybody's prices are much different when you are drinking beers and laughing in person than the advertised ones and they all have huge amounts of wood that are not posted on the web. Bruce's place on Orcas Island is a beautiful destination- I've literally sailed to his place. If you are on the east side of the country, John Preston at Old World Tonewoods is a fantastic guy and has some of the finest woods anywhere.

9. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Bruce Harvie at Orcas Island Tonewoods is THE MAN. Great woods, great advice on this forum and fast shipping.