Thread: Korean Kentucky KM-1500's Quality

Default Korean Kentucky KM-1500's Quality

I am looking at a km-1500 which I believe to be Korean made based on the serial number. I have read countless threads about the Japan-made master models, but my inquiry is limited to the Korean instruments. What is the general quality of workmanship, playability, tone and volume of Korean 1500's compared to the Japan and China instruments? I'd like to hear from past and present owners of Korean 1500's. Are they less desirable from a player's viewpoint? How about comparable values?

Default Re: Korean Kentucky KM-1500's Quality

I love my 1500, bought new about 3 years ago. Don't know which country it was made in. It has a tight sort of sound, i.e. the only ringing you might get is the open E string. Pretty good bark though.

Bill's (above post) KM-1500 would be one made in China.

Generally speaking, the Korean built Kentucky mandolins are not regarded as highly as the earlier or later models. Whether or not that reputation is deserved or not is pretty subjective. As far as "comparable values", there's no question that the Japanese built (Maruko shop) models have held their value (commanded higher resale prices) than the Korean built models.

As far as how the Korean models actually stack up against the others in tone and playability... I'd say you need to try out each and every one to really know.

Among the "countless threads" you've read about the Japanese built Kentuckys, there are also quite a few threads that discuss the Korean built models. Here's one: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/s...cky+1500+Korea
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Sep-08-2017 at 7:33am.

To Echo Flatrock....

You would need to base it on the individual instrument, but as a whole, the Korean made instruments are not as desirable. Still, a 1500 from anywhere should be nice.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I've had both. The finish and quality on the China made 900, 1000, 1500 and 5000 are much better than the 80's Japan one. They will produce better tonal qualities due to thinner top and back. Necks fill normal to me. They look great and you would have to pay double or more to get something better in looks, quality and sound.

6. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Blog Entries

I agree with f5Loar on this one. I've had an 80's Japanese one and a fairly recent Chinese one here at the same time, and I spent a fair bit of time looking closely and going back and forth playing them. I liked the recent one best. It was seriously good. Fit and finish was very nice indeed, great looking materials (lovely flame) and sounded way better than you had a right to expect for what it cost.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

does anyone know what yrs the Korean 1500s were made...when did china take over production?.....or a place to check the serial number?