Thread: Diminished chords

Default Diminished chords

I think that 1021 is a great movable diminished chord fingering. Is this what you use?

Default Re: Diminished chords

Yup - that one works for me.

I've been fiddling with diminished and augmented - both very interesting.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    Yup - that one works for me.

I've been fiddling with diminished and augmented - both very interesting.
    Using the 1021 fingering, there are only 3 diminished chords, that get repeated up the neck. What is the fingering for the augmented chord?

One easy fingering for an augmented chord which is easy to grab without thinking too hard is: 5678 (C+).
    Bobby Bill

I think that 1021 is a great movable diminished chord fingering. Is this what you use?
    It is also good to be familiar with the fingering pattern of both the bottom three strings and the top three strings of that chord. I will often grab a three-finger diminished chord while on the move.
    Bobby Bill

Augmented - 4321 or 1234

I believe some of the positions are interchangeable as with many of the 5th voicings.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Yes, although technically this is NOT moveable since there is an open string.

I assume you mean the 2132 fingering, sorry to be picky.

Augmented - 4321 or 1234
    I'm not seeing an augmented chord in the 4321. That's just doubling the tritone B-F which could fit a b diminished chord or a G7, as well as several other possibilities.
    Bobby Bill

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    I'm not seeing an augmented chord in the 4321. That's just doubling the tritone B-F which could fit a b diminished chord or a G7, as well as several other possibilities.
    Those are the ones I picked up from Tiny Moore. You can find more possibilities with a google search but those are the most common.

Augmented never resolves, which is what makes it so neat.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Those are the ones I picked up from Tiny Moore. You can find more possibilities with a google search but those are the most common.

We must be using two different meanings of the term "augmented." I am referring to stacked major thirds (e.g., G B D#) - a chord that does not contain a tritone and will most commonly be an augmented V resolving to a I. For example, the augmented fifth in the G+ (the D#) naturally resolves upward to the E (third of the I chord). I suppose there are also lots of uses where the augmented chord is thrown in for color and doesn't resolve, but never?
    Bobby Bill

11. The following members say thank you to bobby bill for this post:

To be honest I never really delved into it much deeper than Tiny Moore's book - a few chords, scales and some practice exercises. From there I noodle for interesting combinations.

http://www.hearandplay.com/main/reso...been-this-easy

- ---==< V >==--- -

Actually, augmented chords used as a V chord (even better a V7aug) definitely resolves to the tonic chord.

This is a common color chord used in turnarounds and such.

G B D# (and maybe F ) to C E G; two half-step resolutions, the leading tone B to tonic C and then the raised 5th of the V chord, D# to the 3rd of the tonic, E.

Add the F moving to either the E of the G and hopefully the bass root of the V, G to tonic C.

To be honest I never really delved into it much deeper than Tiny Moore's book - a few chords, scales and some practice exercises. From there I noodle for interesting combinations.

http://www.hearandplay.com/main/reso...been-this-easy
    The page you link to explains well how the aug chords works as a Vaug (or V7aug) chord.

"Every tone in the augmented triad is active and has the tendency to function as a leading note."

"Always remember that all active tones tend to move towards stable tones."

"The notes of the augmented triad have a leading note tendency. Consequently, each of them can resolve the triad to the nearest half step. "

Good article!

15. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

My reference to augmented not resolving was in context of using strictly diatonic augmented notes to construct progressions and chord/melody, not using them as color in a maj/min progression.

I'm still using scale degrees in my progressions, but they are the 2nd, 3thd, whatever of the augmented scale which leads to a never-ending feeling to the tune because of the lack of defined resolution.

- ---==< V >==--- -