Thread: beautiful bowlback on eBay, worth to buy ?

Default beautiful bowlback on eBay, worth to buy ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bowl...19.m1438.l2649

The link above shows a beautiful bowlback. The seller (owner) says it is not very playable. Looking at the photos, I guess it is due to a damage bridge/saddle, and the frets are flat. No idea how it sounds like. Also note that the top is flat like a flat top mandolin.

To make this playable, the bridge/saddle need to be replaced and frets have to be replaced (quite a job). [note: I can do this repair for the fun of it]

I love to hear what others think.

Blog Entries

Default Re: beautiful bowlback on eBay, worth to buy ?

After a quick look it did not appear to me that the frets need to be replaced.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    The link above shows a beautiful bowlback. The seller (owner) says it is not very playable. Looking at the photos, I guess it is due to a damage bridge/saddle, and the frets are flat. No idea how it sounds like. Also note that the top is flat like a flat top mandolin.

To make this playable, the bridge/saddle need to be replaced and frets have to be replaced (quite a job). [note: I can do this repair for the fun of it]
    I do not think this is as old an instrument as you might think- maybe 40 years or less, and that definitely is the wrong bridge. It also appears in the pics to have those weird brass frets I've seen on some Eastern European instruments.

I wonder if it one of those Czech or Romanian made instruments? Even Greek, Italian (Sicily?) or Russian even.

I'm certain it would play better with a proper bowlback non-adjustable bridge.

Price and shipping are fair if you know you need to replace the bridge and maybe dress the frets. I agree with JeffD, the frets don't need replacement, but will need some TLC.

This one is an oddity; I've never seen a bowl-back without a "canted" or bent top, but this one doesn't seem to have one. If there is a bend in it, it's extremely slight. For that reason, the seller can get away with using the same type of adjustable bridge you'd see on a carved-top instrument -- significantly higher than any other bowl-back bridge I've seen, but apparently capable of giving "normal" string height and action.

The thing that I notice first, is that it's selling for $44. For that price, taking a chance on it involves only a small -- $44 small -- risk. That's maybe a tank of gasoline, or an affordable dinner for two, or a pair of generic jeans. If it piques your interest, why not?

Concur that the pickguard design and headstock shape suggest Northern European manufacture. Might be an interesting purchase, at a really low price.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    This one is an oddity; I've never seen a bowl-back without a "canted" or bent top,....
    Concur that the pickguard design and headstock shape suggest Northern European manufacture. Might be an interesting purchase, at a really low price.
    I have seen a number of cant-less flat top bowlbacks - none were made in Northern Europe but rather Southern and/or eastern Europe.

6. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

My Matsakis bowlback mandola is a flat top, it's from Greece. It does have a tall bridge.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

8. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

OK, I am convinced, I just bought it. The second bowl back bought within 10 days period. MMM....AAA....SSS.
    Now, I will look for a bridge (non adjustable).

The seller finally cancelled my order. I guess due to the shipping cost higher than expected.
    Still have one bowl back to play.