Thread: Dusty Miller chord progression?

Blog Entries

Default Dusty Miller chord progression?

In key of A:
    Hard to find 2 matching progressions on YT - looking for a version to make a backing track to play along with that might fit in most jams

Monroe's band (to my ear) repeats with A/A/A/G, A/A/E/A, A/A/A/G, A/A/E/A

Some folks using a B part that is similar to A/A/A/A, G/G/G/G, A/A/A/A, A/A/E/A X2

What's the most common way this is played? Thanks!

Default Re: Dusty Miller chord progression?

I'm not sure what the most common way is but I like to play it how you have it written with those chords for the B part.

3. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post:

Well, more elaborate chords are typically used by groups other than Bill Monroe's, particularly those backing up Texas-style fiddlers, who do great things with this tune. (Listen to Sam Bush on "Poor Richard's Almanac", for example). They use a nice descending chord run the B-part, which is distinctive (this can also be played as a bass run). Also, they tend to play this tune with three parts, not two. Finally, that nice major/minor tension on the A chord in the A-part is often dealt with by playing a backup chord that's missing the 3rd altogether (called an "A power chord" by some rockers; or an "A drone chord" by some bluegrassers). Or, you can swap an A minor for the A major.

Try out these chords, for example, which have the chord run in them (each chord is two beats long, the slash means to repeat the previous chord for two beats)

A-Part (x2)
    A / A G A / E7 A (Note: use an A-chord that's missing the third, like 2200 on mando)
    A / A G A D E7 A

B-Part (x2)
    A / A / G / E7 / A G#m F#m A D A E7 A (Use a normal A major chord)

C-Part (x2)
    A / G / A / E7 / A / G / A / E7 A

Watch Tony Rice's hands in this video to see the chords he's playing! Nice arrangement!!

And for the full, Texas-style longbow treatment (slower pace, swingier chords), listen to Texas Shorty playing here, and how greatly the backup differs!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

In case this is helpful, here's a mandolin arrangement of Dusty Miller, inspired by Sam Bush's fiddle playing. The TablEdit file includes a guitar and bass backup track, so you can just turn the mandolin lead off and use that as a backup track to practice, if you like. I am assuming you have access to TablEdit or the free TefView player.
    Attached Files Attached Files

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Thanks SB - after listening to the tab I think the 3rd part was what had me hung listening to versions on YT.