Thread: Beautiful Regal Bowlback I found

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Default Beautiful Regal Bowlback I found

I was browsing through an antique store this weekend and came upon this Regal bowl back in a locked case. It was gorgeous all the way down to the Handel tuners. However, not being in the market for another instrument, I left it in the case untouched.
    Does $400 seem reasonable to those "in the know"? I always read here how old bowlbacks go pretty cheap, but this one is very tricked out and looked to be in excellent condition. The back had a LOT of staves in it, although i could only see a little bit of it. It must have been top-of-the line at the time. Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regal1.JPG 
Views:	344 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	160515

Name:	regal2.JPG 
Views:	326 
Size:	894.3 KB 
ID:	160516

Name:	regal3.JPG 
Views:	212 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	160517

Name:	regal4.JPG 
Views:	360 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	160518

Name:	regal5.JPG 
Views:	406 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	160519
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Default Re: Beautiful Regal Bowlback I found

That seems a bit on the high side for bowlbacks these days - BUT - if the instrument is indeed in really good shape, with a neck that does not need to be reset, has low action, frets are good, and has a sweet but full tone, and you like the way the instrument feels, then it is not a bad price.

I'm far from a Regal expert, but I second David's concerns about playability. I think Regal had left Indianapolis by 1901, so your antique dealer might lack some knowledge if he or she thought Regal was in Indy in the 1920s. Those tuner buttons sure look like Handels, and there are Gibson fans who would pay you $400 for those alone if they are. Perhaps the dealer would let a luthier have a look at it before you put down your hard-earned cash?

Quote Originally Posted by Scot63 View Post
    Perhaps the dealer would let a luthier have a look at it before you put down your hard-earned cash?
    I would hope so...at least let you play and examine it thoroughly.

Best of luck.

5. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Scot63 

Looking through Carlin's Regal Musical Instruments, 1895-1955, it's stated that the Indianapolis version of Regal, founded by Emil Wulschner, and passed on to John Keyes, went out of business in 1904. So, no Indianapolis-made Regal mandolins from the 1920's.

Many of the pre-1900 Regal models had bowls made of alternating rosewood and maple; some were all rosewood, like this one. The models with Handel tuners depicted in Carlin's book are dated around 1900, so I'd hypothesize that would be a likely vintage for this one.

A count of the ribs in the bowl would give more information as to the likely model of this one. On pp.40-43 of the Carlin book there are mandolin catalog reprints from the Indianapolis years of Regal; the most expensive model, Style 18, has 42 ribs and lists for $75. The catalog drawings don't show inlaid Handel tuners, and the descriptions don't mention them either.

I'm not sure $400 seems reasonable to me, in the current bowl-back market; it's not a Martin or a Vega, labels that still have strong market appeal. Regal gets associated with the later Chicago operation, which concentrated on decently-made, mid-range instruments. The earlier Indianapolis operation was clearly also in the high-end market, as evidenced by a $75 mandolin in 1900, same price as Martin's fancy Style 6.

If I really wanted it, I'd make an offer around $250, and see if there's room for negotiation.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Handel tuners sell for a couple hundred dollars without a mandolin attached.

9. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Scot63 

Quote Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
    Handel tuners sell for a couple hundred dollars without a mandolin attached.

Yes these are inlaid "Handel" buttons however I don't believe they are attached to the same strip tuners as used by Gibson. So you would just be getting the buttons. Also if you look close at the pics above you can see that they are the style that are completely drilled through with a screw coming through the other end. This being not how they are on Gibsons I think the resale value is pretty diminished.

Phil

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goaty76 For This Useful Post:

FWIW, I have been going to antique stores/malls for 45+ years -- every one I have ever been to will give you a discount on any item over $25 -- ever notice why a lot of items are priced at $24.50 ? Anyway, usually at least 10 percent and often 20 percent off is not uncommon. Also, if you are serious and the owner of the item is not at the store, usually they can call the owner and you can make an offer -- I've done it many times. Also, some antique malls will give a discount if you pay by cash or check instead of credit card. Doesn't hurt to ask. Most of those antique dealers rent space from the owner of the mall and have rent due each month. Worth a try.
    My motto -- NEVER EVER PAY THE ASKING PRICE......

13. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Samuel Siegel was a mandolin star of the turn of the 19th-20th centuries. He was a Regal endorser. This does look like a moderately fancy Regal esp with the inlaid logo and ornate fretboard inlays, tho the upper end ones would have fluted backs.

Here's some Siegel ephemera:

Name:	Siegel_regal.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	160873 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seigel1901.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	160874
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68_1_b.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	160875  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

First of all it is mis-identified as 1920's...it is at least teens. I would expect 40 plus ribs and $400 is quite an acceptable price if, as said above, the neck is in perfect playable condition. Almost every bowl-back of that vintage I have seen has problems in that area and others. $400 is too much if it has neck issues etc.
    Is there a vintage case?
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Well, Lyon and Healy had a pretty cool scam down where they would run a piece of white "rib seperator" material down the center of a single rib to make it appear as if it were two. I've seen this on a few of their bowls I have taken apart for dissection or repair. Not sure if Regal was guilty of the same deceit, but 40 does not alway equal 40 with bowlbacks.

Cap'n, you need to come North of the Colorado now and then.... I've owned many a fine bowl over the years: Washburn, Martin, Vega, Favilla, Ricca, Fairbanks, Weymann, all with very solid necks and tops. Very playable and delightful.

One just has to be careful with their inspection and purchasing. That can be harder via the ebay or internet, but there are plenty of 100+ yo bowlbacks out there ready for another 100.

The neck / action on the OP's Regal look pretty good. Is $400 a reasonable price? Maybe a bit high given the relative buyer's market for bowlbacks. But as David said, if all is good, it is not out of line for the quality of instrument it likely is. Would like to have a proper Cloud TP cover at that price. I guess it has a case, too? Not a bad deal, really, imho.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

18. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

A very similar Regal has come up for sale in the UK. Nice bowlbacks are pretty rare here. I am currently playing a De Meglio and I think the Regal could be a nice upgrade if it is playable. The action looks pretty high, but the views of those who know these things better than I would be welcome.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Reg...19.m1438.l2649