Thread: Really new need help

Default Really new need help

I am new to mandolin and need help on where to begin. I am a bit of an older learner and a bit confused where to begin. There is much info on the internet 2 3 4 finger chords, scales, arpeggios etc. Are there any books or online resources that are in simple terms that I can utilize? I did see a mel bay book for seniors, I'm not quite a senior but not too far off. I am a drummer and never played a stringed instrument and dont know the first thing about notes thier relationships etc. I have started learning 2 finger chords a little and just love the mando and want to progress as quickly as I can so any help is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Really new need help

I'd start with Mandolin For Dummies by Don Julin.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Don Julin's book would be good. I also recommend getting these: https://www.elderly.com/mike-marshal...wo-dvd-set.htm
    Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim1966 View Post
    I have started learning 2 finger chords a little and just love the mando and want to progress as quickly as I can so any help is greatly appreciated.
    The good news is there is plenty of time to learn. I took it up 4 years ago and am surprised how much you can learn in that time. Relax and enjoy this part without feeling you are behind.

A good reference book like the one Tobin suggests is great for study. I like studying things in print

A good online lesson source can take you a long way quick if you have the time. I would look at the lessons on mandolessons.com for starters. Most of it is "free" but if it works for you he takes donations.

Researching on mandolincafe is rewarding once you learn to sift thru the conversation clutter. The useful links I discovered skimming thru old threads was priceless getting started. I use Google to research topics on mandolincafe. There are instructions for that somewhere around here.

My first instructor had me learning 3 finger chords. I also took the time to learn basic scales and how major chords are formed with combinations of 1/3/5 notes. And what note to change to make it a minor or 7 chord. Keep it simple

I took lessons from instructor in my hometown early on and if possible don't pass up the chance. Even if you only take a block of 4 lessons you will benefit from getting started with a trained eye watching your technique. Any chance to prevent bad habits is worth the costs of a few lessons. Taking lessons is a great push as well but I'd recommend every other week lessons to allow time to work out what you learned

At some point if you can find someone at your level(or better) to play tunes with, that might be your best chance for improving quickly. The push you get from playing with another is better than a thousand online lessons.

Enjoy this phase on mandolin! It only comes once in a lifetime
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Survival Chords Mandolin.pdf  

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

+1 for Mandolessons.com... Baron's site is great and his lessons are easy to follow. He has a great beginners series that is an awesome place to get started.

If I am remembering correctly, he started his site because of a perceived lack of good resources online for the Mandolin. I have learned a great deal from mandolessons myself!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

I have Hal Leonard's Book 1 and 2 and Hal Leonard's Easy Mandolin Songs. Have gone back strictly to the guitar so I have no need for these. If you PM me your address, I will be happy to send them to you at no charge.

7. The following members say thank you to Bruce Cech for this post:

B381 

Blog Entries

Welcome to MC. Good advice above.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Books on the way.. Should be there by end of week.

thank you so much! greatly appreciated!

For what it's worth-
    For months, I struggled with my mandolin in regards to fretting. I was taking lessons from a professional who also repaired instruments.
    Over the winter, I happened to take my mandolin into a music shop and the owner explained that I need some adjustments made to the nut and the bridge and a couple of the frets were too high.
    End result, was a cost of about $40 or so, and a mandolin that was greatly more playable. Can't understand why the mando teacher didn't at least look at my instrument since he knew I was just starting out. It would have made those first months much more fruitful.

Fred

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

IMO one mark of a good teacher is to ask permission to inspect and play the student's instrument before commencing the first lesson. I know everyone is a little different and not knocking your teacher, it's just something I flat out don't understand.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff