Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a resonator mandolin as a "first" mandolin?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: a resonator mandolin as a "first" mandolin?

Yep not enough space
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

2. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

I'm just playing up the neck for the first time. "Great intonation" is not a term I would use. As a first mandolin, it will work. If this was my first instrument, I would just give up and go read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Well: the Johnson's $160, a used National RM-1 would go for about ten times that price. There's an "apples and oranges" factor there. I have a Johnson resonator ukulele, and the adjective "serviceable" comes to mind when I pull it out to play; I had a Johnson tri-cone resonator guitar -- for about a year -- then traded it in on a DeNeve "Dobro," because it really didn't cut the mustard, IMHO. I wish Cornfield the best, and hope the experience with the Johnson mandolin is rewarding and musically expansive. But I wouldn't really compare it with the National.
    Didn't intend to compare Johnson with National, nor suggest that he should get a RM-1, just relaying that I don't think it's a problem for his only mandolin to be a reso. Agree the 2 brands are completely different. Ironically, I've heard some people say the newer Nationals don't sound "nasty" or "brash" enough for blues.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I've had and sold a couple National guitars, a Pear shaped tenor tri-cone that I foolishly sold before learning how to deal with the narrow nut and a Reso-Rocket. I've also had an array of resonator ukuleles. My experience showed me that National cones are certainly superior.
    This Johnson actually has a better sound than I was anticipating. It is still a CHEAP instrument in several ways and will never be a National. It is, however, a way for me to get started on playing mandolin.
    If I go on and acquire a better mando, it will probably not be a resonator.
    Just play the snot out of it and enjoy!
    Chuck

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

Resonator Mandolins are rather heavy so for kids I'd have them play the instrument seated. Also instead of using heavier gauge strings they extended the scale length by 2 extra inches from 13 inches to 15 inches making it somewhere in between a Mandolin in a Mandola. That means I'd suggest tuning the thing down a few steps like maybe a Minor third below G, D, A, E which would be E, B, F#, C# like what the great Yank Rachell used.