Thread: Observation about a book

Default Observation about a book

Ive been working in the Mandolin method one book from hal leonard. Written by Rich Delgrosso. Ive found the book very rewarding. I noticed i am stuck on texas gales. I think this is because it uses all the strings. Its also at 160. I cant even break 118. Has anyone else worked out of this book and had difficulties with texas gales(nonbluegrass form)?

Default Re: Observation about a book

I am also working my way through this book.

"Texas Gales" is a big leap from the pieces before. As you noted, it's much faster, and it covers all four strings. Also, the piece is considerably longer, and the eighth-note runs are longer than in previous pieces. It's not equal to the piece or two before it, it's a whole order of magnitude bigger! You're not getting graded on this, so just do what you can with it. Work up the speed gradually, and don't stress over it.

Move on to the next one, if you're frustrated, while continuing to work on "Texas Gales."

Xav, This is the book I've been working with too. I think it's great, if a little uncompromising! I agree with Louise, Texas Gales is quite a big step up from all the previous tunes but a really good challenge. It took me several weeks (I'm a slow Learner! ) last year. I broke it down into parts and tried to get to a position where I was happy with how A,B & C sounded before I then tried to add them together. It is one of my favourite tunes (possibly because of all the time I spent on It! ). Keep at it, it will all come together in the end.

I just received book today and i must say I'm a bit intimidated. i can't read standard notation and I'm brand new to mandolin so its kinda like I'm trying to learn 2 things at once, neither of which i understand at all.

You are learning two things at once!

Learning to read notation as you go, one note at a time, one string at a time, is much easier than trying to learn to read when your playing skills are way above your reading skills. Take it a page at a time. Keep the faith: you'll do fine.

Yea i got to do it the fun way, I could already read standard notation.

I learned by ear and the way I learned was to play about 1/4 of the available notes or fewer and add more as I could. So I wouldn't worry if you can't play a difficult tune to speed. Just play it at a speed you can actually do. The speed will come later (as will any notes you choose to leave out.)

8. The following members say thank you to sbhikes for this post: