Thread: V Pick & suggestions

Default V Pick & suggestions

I purchased a rounded tremolo V pick a few years and never got into it. I pulled it out a few weeks and it is now my go to. Does anyone have any suggestions of picks like this that are similar in size, sounds, grip, etc that I should try out? I do have Primetone picks and don't care much for TF140 FYI

Default Re: V Pick & suggestions

If you particularly like the V Pick, I'd give the V-pick Saga a try - it's a nice pick for mandolin, although it's quite clicky on the strings, and there's also a bit of string chirp. If you can get over the string noise, you'll find a nice warm tone and a very comfortable pick that really sticks to the fingers. It's also blue, unlike most V-picks which are totally clear, so you can see it if you do ever drop it!

Have to admit that for the last couple of years, my go-to picks are a Blue Chip TP60 and the large brown triangle Prime Tone 1.5mm.

I've really tried to like the Wegen picks, but I've personally never bonded with them. Despite the holes, they always slide around in my fingers. Each to their own, of course. It's all about what feels good in the hand, and what sounds good on your particular instrument.

Seems like the Wegen M150 would be similar. A BlueChip 3R TAD60 would be worth trying, also.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Chris, I have a M150 and I wish it was a little bigger.

Might have a look at manouchepicks.com from Holland. Jokko mostly makes gypsy jazz guitar picks, but he has a mandolin pick in various thicknesses, and he uses a broad variety of shapes, materials and thicknesses that could work. Great guy to work with, and he's anxious to xpand to the US and bluegrass markets