Thread: Valencia bowlback mandolin

Default Valencia bowlback mandolin

I just bought a bowlback mandolin, the label inside says VALENCIA.
    I did not know anything about this brand. But when trying it, it sounds very loud for a bowlback, compared the 3 bowlbacks I bought in the past which sounds worst than a Rogue.
    The action is kind of high, and I found it has a zero fret which is too fatty compared to other frets, I replaced it with a smaller and thinner fret (which I bought when I built my ukulele) and the action is perfect at the nut, at fret#12 it's 4/5 of 1/8" which is 1/10 of an inch, a tiny bit higher than my Kentucky.
    The sound is bright as other bowlback. I like to put on a new string set. I have learned from this forum that bowlback should use very light string set (with gauge 9 for the trebble E strings). I search on eBay but could not find this.

Please give me a link of this kind of string sets and any information you have regarding this Valencia mandolin (manufactured dates, current value given it's in very good playing condition, some minor scratches due to ages)

Below are some of the photos

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170827_184441.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	391.6 KB 
ID:	160375Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170828_080237.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	160376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170830_083920.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	160377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170830_083936.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	160378

2. The following members say thank you to kkmm for this post:

Default Re: Valencia bowlback mandolin

That's a Japanese copy, maybe by Suzuki, and very much like my first mandolin - same finish, decoration, etc.

It was loud for an inexpensive bowlback, had a decent enough tone, and I even used it as the soloist with the New Orleans Summer Pops Orchestra to play the balalaika part for "Dr. Zhivago" circa 1978.

Yes, get the lighter strings, and a pointy but stiff pick! It may respond differently than your archtop Kentucky mandolin in terms of choice of pick.

(let's quietly say that bowlbacks don't usually like the poker chip Dawg type picks)

Unfortunately Suzuki and the like made loads of these mandolins, and they are not worth a great deal, like under a couple hundred bucks, depending on condition. I bought mine in the 70's used for 30 dollars w/ case.

You got lucky - a lot of these sort of Japanese factory mandolins were overbuilt and oversprayed with varnish. One of those indeed "sounds worst than a Rogue"!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Made-in-Japa...kAAOSws5pZIWZm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-BOWL-...sAAOSwk9dZoK6~

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Made-in-Japa...AAAOSw-89ZTQS3

Three on ebay for under $200.

Anyway, enjoy the bowlback!

For bowlback-suitable strings:

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-a240.html

More expensive strings are made by Dogal (Calace RW 92 medio, Fisoma Consort) but they are a bit harder to locate. I believe Bernunzio has the Dogals. They cost more, but last forever.

Thanks for the link to the string set that I am looking for. Based on this, I look up eBay and found the same one for less than 6$, free shipping, ordered one already.

Is it true that all Suzuki bowlback are Japan made ? I have had one of these and it did not sound that good. Looking at the material of the top and body, seems like it is not made in wood. Tapping it does not produce a good sound, while tapping my Valencia produces a "singing" sound.
    Now I have to deal with trying to hold it straight while playing. These bowl backs always turn and show their top at my face !!!
    Thinking about a making a "tone guard" to take care of this issue.

I use a piece of rubberized shelf liner to hold my bowl in my lap. that's cheap and easy to find. a suggestion.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

8. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    Is it true that all Suzuki bowlback are Japan made ? I have had one of these and it did not sound that good. Looking at the material of the top and body, seems like it is not made in wood. Tapping it does not produce a good sound, while tapping my Valencia produces a "singing" sound.
    Now I have to deal with trying to hold it straight while playing. These bowl backs always turn and show their top at my face !!!
    Thinking about a making a "tone guard" to take care of this issue.
    There are MANY of the Japanese bowlbacks that are overbuilt and overprayed, and do not have a good tone as I said in my earlier post.

Do not use a tone guard, learn to hold a bowlback the right way. I never need a piece of rubberized shelf liner, although many folks do find that useful.