Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So Good...

Default So Good...

Just in case this has not been posted yet.
    Ekaterina Skliar, a great mandolinist showing how its done on a sweet little Gibson A-9...

Thanks,
    Dem

E. Skliar -J. S. Bach - Partita No.2 - Giga

More!
    Aleksei Aleksandrov (domra), Ekaterina Skliar (mandolin)

And more
    Ekaterina Skliar (mandolin)
    Anna Kislitsyna (harpsichord)

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: So Good...

Notice how closely she holds the mandolin to her. This cuts some of the "bite" of the mandolin. Which goes to show you that tone is shaped by more than the mandolin itself.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

4. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

Yeh she makes that mandolin sound like a million bucks. Mandobar, do you feel that even though a tongegard allows the instrument to ring in some way it prohibits tone variation? Naturally you can do that with pick angle and what not, but do you feel it take away the ability to tuck it in close and play with the tone in that way?
    Thanks for chiming in,
    Dem
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Notice how closely she holds the mandolin to her. This cuts some of the "bite" of the mandolin. Which goes to show you that tone is shaped by more than the mandolin itself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    Yeh she makes that mandolin sound like a million bucks. Mandobar, do you feel that even though a tongegard allows the instrument to ring in some way it prohibits tone variation? Naturally you can do that with pick angle and what not, but do you feel it take away the ability to tuck it in close and play with the tone in that way?
    Thanks for chiming in,
    Dem
    I wonder if any other instrument has as much "background noise" as the mandolin? I'm gonna start another thread, but I basically mean the ratio of incidental noise to notes produced.

It's a beautiful piece and playing, but I can't help but be distracted by pick thump. Chris Thile noted once that we mandolinists are just whacking plastic against metal --- one of the least elegant things about this instrument!

So, being the hack player I am, I want to be sure I am getting this correctly. If one has a bright or "barky" (for lack of a better word) mandolin, hugging it close to the body will subdue that to some extent? Interesting. Certainly not an issue with my two main mandolins but may be effective wth the plywood beater.......
    Last edited by Mike Scott; Aug-30-2017 at 10:32am. Reason: Messed up
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Mike,

Many things can shape tone; strings, pick, pick angle, and certainly the way that you hold the mandolin. If a Toneguard can "free up" the sound of a mandolin, holding it tighter against you can tame or "muffle" it.

To answer your question, Demetrius, in some circumstances a Toneguard is a good thing, and in others it might make a bright mandolin sound even harsher. As with all science (remember the production of sound is part of a the science of physics) there can be a lot of variables. You have to experiment around with these variables to get the sound that you are looking for from your mandolin (or any instrument for that matter). That's why churning through instruments sometimes can be counter-productive. Change too many variables at once and you may blow by the very sound you are looking for.

You can look at how 20 different mandolin players hold their instrument and you will get 20 different approaches. The same goes for fiddlers. I have watched countless players, all with different bow grips, different angles of holding the bow, the fiddle itself, and the best advice I got was from Martin Hayes- find something that works for you, and that feels natural and produces the tone that you like. While this appears to be a very simple guideline, it takes a lot of work to find that "groove". The same goes for mandolin.

I just got a new octave mandolin, and am experimenting with picks and whether to add a strap button or to do the "Norman Blake thing" and tie it at the headstock. It's going to take a while before I get a comfort zone with the instrument, but it's a process.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Love all that was said here.. I appreciate it!!!

Mike,

Many things can shape tone; strings, pick, pick angle, and certainly the way that you hold the mandolin. If a Toneguard can "free up" the sound of a mandolin, holding it tighter against you can tame or "muffle" it.

To answer your question, Demetrius, in some circumstances a Toneguard is a good thing, and in others it might make a bright mandolin sound even harsher. As with all science (remember the production of sound is part of a the science of physics) there can be a lot of variables. You have to experiment around with these variables to get the sound that you are looking for from your mandolin (or any instrument for that matter). That's why churning through instruments sometimes can be counter-productive. Change too many variables at once and you may blow by the very sound you are looking for.

You can look at how 20 different mandolin players hold their instrument and you will get 20 different approaches. The same goes for fiddlers. I have watched countless players, all with different bow grips, different angles of holding the bow, the fiddle itself, and the best advice I got was from Martin Hayes- find something that works for you, and that feels natural and produces the tone that you like. While this is appears to be a very simple guideline, it takes a lot of work to find that "groove". The same goes for mandolin.

I just got a new octave mandolin, and am experimenting with picks and whether to add a strap button or to do the "Norman Blake thing" and tie it at the headstock. It's going to take a while before I get a comfort zone with the instrument, but it's a process.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm so taken by the efficiency of technique in the classical performer. The pick movement is intentional, the left hand movements so intentional, the dynamic range in such control.

I suffer from too much enthusiasm. I don't have predictable control on my pick grip - sometimes too loose, sometimes too tight. I want the discipline to be so perfect. Just how long does that take?

No joke. . . and she's playing classical music on an arch-top, f-hole mandolin. Somebody needs to send her the memo!

Cool videos. Thanks! I am reminded of my need to return to the right hand. Yet again. . .

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

12. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

The way she holds her A-model mandolin on her lap -- note no strap! -- is pretty gender-specific. She keeps the back of the instrument away from belly (it helps to be slender) and the upper side is held firmly down by the underside of her bosom, as she leans slightly forward into it. You can see this posture in all the videos, with the mandolin clutched between her lap (where she crosses her left leg over her right, to provide a platform) and forward-leaning right breast.

A similar hold would be fairly difficult for most men to achieve, for all the obvious anatomical reasons.

Thank you for chiming in sblock! I see exactly what you mean, and I appreciate you pointing that out...

Dem

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    The way she holds her A-model mandolin on her lap -- note no strap! -- is pretty gender-specific. She keeps the back of the instrument away from belly (it helps to be slender) and the upper side is held firmly down by the underside of her bosom, as she leans slightly forward into it. You can see this posture in all the videos, with the mandolin clutched between her lap (where she crosses her left leg over her right, to provide a platform) and forward-leaning right breast.

A similar hold would be fairly difficult for most men to achieve, for all the obvious anatomical reasons.

I'd agree, although with age I'm heading in the direction of being able to!!

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

16. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

I'm guessing there's a bit of effects applied to the mandolin in the first video. The mando sounds entirely different in the second video.

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    I'm guessing there's a bit of effects applied to the mandolin in the first video. The mando sounds entirely different in the second video.
    To my ear, that first video has some over-use of compression. It has that signature "pop" on the attack that you hear with compression, and the dynamic range is reduced. The second video sounds much more like what I'd expect that instrument to sound like in a room.

I could be wrong... just going by what I hear, and YouTube ain't the greatest for judging FX processing because we're listening through another layer of streaming compression. Great playing, regardless.

The second video appears to be an auditorium of some sort. The first appears to be from a room in a residence. Different strings, different acoustics.

The second video appears to be an auditorium of some sort. The first appears to be from a room in a residence. Different strings, different acoustics.
    Not just acoustics, I'm hearing compression on the first one. Like I said, I could be wrong, but compression used as a mix or mastering effect sounds different from ambient room acoustics.

Nearly everything has a bit of compression. It's more of a necessity rather than an enhancement. Public speakers without the use of compression sound horrible with loud P's and S's..

I think she's a great mandolin player who needs no help from being a female. I also think yours is a typical chauvinistic, trying to be clever, response to a very talented woman. Not cool...

I'm with fatt-dad. Just in awe. I frankly don't understand how people are able to play like that.

Can you even imagine the number of hours it took to learn that piece? The patience? The repetition? The drive?

If I didnt know anything about playing music or mando, I might comment, "oh lookie there, she plays good." And I might say the same about someone like me doing the 3 chord strum songs I blunder through. I might not fully grasp the difference.

But knowing even the little I do and a few beginner fiddle tunes, ... this just blows my mind. How in the world? She is incredible.

As for the bosom thing, just get over it already. Most every body's gottem. Observations on technique, posture and anatomy are just that. Not that the obvious had to be pointed out but that happens all the time here. No need to go all puritanical and accusational over that post.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdolin View Post
    I think she's a great mandolin player who needs no help from being a female. I also think yours is a typical chauvinistic, trying to be clever, response to a very talented woman. Not cool...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cx...ature=youtu.be

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLATROCK HILL For This Useful Post:

The domra player is also playing with his instrument held in his lap, with no strap. Can't say that I really see much difference.

One thing I thought was quite interesting was another difference between their respective techniques. The domra player's right wrist seems to stay completely rigid and from what I can tell he's playing pretty much entirely from the elbow. The mandolin player, by contrast, plays mostly from the wrist, without much motion at the elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    Nearly everything has a bit of compression. It's more of a necessity rather than an enhancement. Public speakers without the use of compression sound horrible with loud P's and S's..
    Sure, I'm a huge fan of compression in recording projects when it's used with care. I have a bunch of fairly expensive compression plugins. But it's possible to overdo it, and I think it's overdone in that first video. Just my opinion.

Wow!

Ekaterina Skiliar is just so wonderful---calm, burning, precise, soo passionate yet resolute. The videos number one and number three are transformative, even transidental. Her command of the tone, clearity and dynamics of her mandolin are breathtaking. While I stand in awe of her performance of the first piece by Bach, I"m interested in getting the Beethoven Adagio!

The skills shown on number one rivals Chris Thile...almost. She is much younger and so incredibly talented--I am certain we will see a lot more Ektaterina coming up.

I think I'm falling in love!

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Searching for the Sound

I'm pretty sure that's the way Mike Marshall suggests holding the mandolin while seated, from the lessons at Artist Works I took. He didn't suggest that males and females should hold it differently because of any particular anatomical part. A rather crude post, me thinks....
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

My dad has a 2007 f9 that sound just that amazing, he doesn't the mandolin does. It just goes to show you don't big money to get great tone.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Blog Entries

I played with Ekatarina and Aleksei at FMCM IX earlier this year. They are both amazing musicians, and fun people. They both play and excel at mandolin and domra.

They make it look all so effortless. But I'll tell you, some of the practice and warm up exercises they led us in were killers. I still haven't untangled my fingers.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

32. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post: