Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So Good...

Dave Sheets

Default Re: So Good...

A nice take on the Scarlatti, enjoyed hearing it, thanks for posting it.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Let's invite her onto the cafe. The more international the better.
    Nic Gellie

Hello, everyone! Thank you for all your opinions, it was really interested to read it! I didn't expect to find my videos here, so it was a pleasant surprise.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ekaterina S. For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Jeff, it was great to play together at FMCM! Hope, we'll do it again someday!

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    To my ear, that first video has some over-use of compression. It has that signature "pop" on the attack that you hear with compression, and the dynamic range is reduced. The second video sounds much more like what I'd expect that instrument to sound like in a room.

I could be wrong... just going by what I hear, and YouTube ain't the greatest for judging FX processing because we're listening through another layer of streaming compression. Great playing, regardless.
    There is no compression applied to any of those videos. It sounds different because of absolutely different acoustic ( a room,a concert hall, and a church). Also, I am constantly in a search of ways to improve my sound. The first video was recorded a year ago, when I was playing the mandolin only for one year. That is one more reason why it sounds different.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ekaterina S. For This Useful Post:

only a year?, okay I'm sitting on my couch crying now.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin Stueve For This Useful Post:

BJ O'DayTeak 

Quote Originally Posted by Ekaterina S. View Post
    There is no compression applied to any of those videos. It sounds different because of absolutely different acoustic ( a room,a concert hall, and a church). Also, I am constantly in a search of ways to improve my sound. The first video was recorded a year ago, when I was playing the mandolin only for one year. That is one more reason why it sounds different.
    If it wasn't something in the YouTube conversion (all videos are compressed to some extent after you upload them), then the room acoustics fooled me!

Wonderful playing, regardless. Keep us posted on your new projects.

Blog Entries

Hello, everyone! Thank you for all your opinions, it was really interested to read it! I didn't expect to find my videos here, so it was a pleasant surprise.
    I really enjoyed the videos. Welcome to Mandolin Cafe!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Last edited by Demetrius; Sep-02-2017 at 7:12pm.

13. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Teak 

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stueve View Post
    only a year?, okay I'm sitting on my couch crying now.
    I am crying with you. Wow. There is great talent and practice perseverance in that young lady!
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Ekaterina,

Your playing is very evocative of the spirit of the composers' music you are playing in the videos. There is something quintessential in your playing with an economy of effort that we are not used to in our playing.

Who have been your guides and mentors in developing your style?
    Nic Gellie

The very person this thread is about chimes in, How cool is that?

Ekaterina- I hope it is ok that I started this thread and posted a few videos. I just felt they need to be seen if not seen, and it seems like everyone is quite inspired by them. Thank you for jumping into the thread and clearing up the sound questions different posters have had.

I have a couple questions.
    1. How did your sweet sounding A-9 come to you?
    2. Whats strings do you prefer to use?
    3. Is there a certain plectrum/pick you feel works best for your style?
    4. Are there any other mandolins you have your eye on or is this A-9 meeting all your needs in a mandolin? If so, what about it do you like?

Thanks again for joining us!
    Demetrius
    Last edited by Demetrius; Sep-02-2017 at 8:33pm. Reason: Not too sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I honestly don't hear the crisp thing in the Gil, If anything its on the darker side Id say. Not quite as Dark as my Dude was, but definitely darker than my Derrington DMM. Ive actually owned an MT2, a really nice one too. I should've played that one and called it a day...
    Like a stripped bolt... something's been 'cross-threaded'.

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    Like a stripped bolt... something's been 'cross-threaded'.
    Thanks for posting that I would've never noticed...

19. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Only a year.. Haha ha ha.. Crying...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    Ekaterina,

Your playing is very evocative of the spirit of the composers' music you are playing in the videos. There is something quintessential in your playing with an economy of effort that we are not used to in our playing.

Who have been your guides and mentors in developing your style?

I learnt how to play the mandolin by myself. So, it would be fair to say that mentors for me were all the outstanding mandolin players you can find on YouTube.

Most important, I have been playing the domra ( Russian folk 3-string instrument) for many years. So, for making a transition from domra to mandolin I had to adopt my right and left hand techniques to mandolin features.

P.S. I mentioned that I had been playing for year when I recorded Bach's Giga, which I did a year ago. So, it makes it two years of playing mandolin now.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ekaterina S. For This Useful Post:

The very person this thread is about chimes in, How cool is that?

Ekaterina- I hope it is ok that I started this thread and posted a few videos. I just felt they need to be seen if not seen, and it seems like everyone is quite inspired by them. Thank you for jumping into the thread and clearing up the sound questions different posters have had.

I have a couple questions.
    1. How did your sweet sounding A-9 come to you?
    2. Whats strings do you prefer to use?
    3. Is there a certain plectrum/pick you feel works best for your style?
    4. Are there any other mandolins you have your eye on or is this A-9 meeting all your needs in a mandolin? If so, what about it do you like?

Thanks again for joining us!
    Demetrius

Thank you very much for posting the videos here!

Answering your questions:

1. I bought my mandolin while I was in Russia ( currently I live in Philly). So, it was hard to choose an instrument without having a chance to try it. However, it turned out to be pretty nice.

2. I am still trying to find the strings which would be the best. So, I try different brands and compare how it sounds.

3. I have about 4 different types of pick I use for different styles. For example, the one I use for classical and baroque music doesn't go well with jazz and bluegrass.

4. Right now it is my only instrument, but I am planning to purchase another mandolin. I think, it will be A-style Weber, but not sure yet.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ekaterina S. For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Wow, thanks to Dem for OP'ing this discussion, and to Ekaterina for being a part of it.

Ekaterina, I had spotted your work on YouTube while working up an arrangement for Jesu Joy about 6 months ago. Wonderful clarity and precision, wonderful tone. I nearly gave up and used my mandolin for firewood (JK) after hearing you, except that Bach is so compelling. Also, I was pleased that you're using a "9" series Gibson as I do, and that you produce such wonderful dynamic tone with it as you approach the strings.

Please keep up the great work, and if possible, stick around here at the Cafe' as you can. Thank you again, very inspirational!
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Its really nice.

Yeh she makes that mandolin sound like a million bucks.
    She plays well, but I found the instrument dry sounding. I kept imaging how good she would sound on a top quality bowl back.

Thank you very much for posting the videos here!

4. Right now it is my only instrument, but I am planning to purchase another mandolin. I think, it will be A-style Weber, but not sure yet.
    Have you considered a good Italian or German bowlback instead?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Hi Ekaterina,

I'm thinking of my right hand and pick grip. I wanted to ask whether you use the same type of pick and the same pick grip for all types of music. Then again, for classical maybe it's one setup and for bluegrass it's something different? You seem to do it all on your A9, eh?

I was experimenting with a more pointed pick and a three-finger grip. I notice that there's more steering control with three fingers - i.e., getting the pick square to the strings.

I do love your precision. I'm striving for same in my Bach. It is a journey!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

30. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Well according to this photo Ekaterina has added a pick guard to her trusty A-9. It really visually compliments the look and elegant simplicity of the A-9. It looks great Ekaterina!

Ekaterina, Thank you for answering those last batch of questions. Its so interesting to read specifics about the bond between a musician and thier instrument. I would love to know and Im sure there are others here who would also like to know your motivation behind putting a pick guard on your A-9.

Questions
    1. Reason for installing a pick guard? Was it esthetics? functionality? Feel? All three?
    2. Have you noticed a tonal change after installing it?
    3. What year is your A-9?
    4. What strings do you use?

Thank you again for sharing your mind,
    Dem

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 10.59.18 AM.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	160826
    Last edited by Demetrius; Sep-15-2017 at 10:45am.

I just realized in that last post I had asked you about your strings which you had already answered in your precious answer post..

Dem

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Have you considered a good Italian or German bowlback instead?
    Yes, I am thinking about purchasing a German bowlback mandolin.