Thread: Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Bass and Mandolin

Default Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Bass and Mandolin

I'm sure you guys/gals have heard it, but if you havent you really gotta check it out. Its a full instrumental album of these gents making some amazing music. Styles/genres are all over the place. It kept me listening from beginning to end and left astonished all the way through. You all know Chris Thile, I hadnt heard of Edgar Meyer, but the guy is excellent. They have wonderful chemistry and make a killer team.

2. The following members say thank you to Spock89 for this post:

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Bass and Mandolin

Yes, indeed. Likewise, the CD of Bach trios where Edgar and Chris are joined by Yo Yo Ma on cello.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock89 View Post
    Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer Bass and Mandolin
    This one? Amazon link, with previews. A quickie search for YouTube videos didn't turn up anything, maybe copyright issues or something, or maybe I should have looked up individual tracks instead of album name, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Frosty View Post
    ... Likewise, the CD of Bach trios where Edgar and Chris are joined by Yo Yo Ma on cello.
    Looks like this is one of the tracks from the Bach album:

(or direct link)

Maybe this will work too: Playlist of entire Bach album

Some pretty stuff on those.

There's also this album they did a few years earlier:
    https://www.amazon.com/Edgar-Meyer-C...e+edgasr+meyer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71tdXvAvGVL._SL1425_.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	177.5 KB 
ID:	160327

And this one: Thile+Meyer+Yo-Yo Ma+Stuart Duncan

https://www.amazon.com/Goat-Rodeo-Se...3960653&sr=8-1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81WYCp7HVEL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	434.4 KB 
ID:	160328

No mando, but Meyer's transcription of half the cello suites for bass is astonishing. Play it on a good system. Wish he would do the rest.

Mandolin and Bass - I love the combination. I have been collecting a few recordings of those two instruments. Along with the first Thile/Meyer cd, I have two more to recommend. Not so interested in comparing the two below the Thile and Meyer as to the sounds of the two instruments. "Bass & Mandolin - Onward" has Josh Feinberg on bass and Brian Oberlin on mandolin. A variety of songs: some with vocals and some without. The other cd I like a lot is called "Stickerfoot, with Jesse Jones on mandolin & Craig Butterfield on bass. Wonderful playing, in a style similar to Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer's playing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nick Royal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Royal View Post
    Mandolin and Bass - I love the combination. I have been collecting a few recordings of those two instruments. Along with the first Thile/Meyer cd, I have two more to recommend. Not so interested in comparing the two below the Thile and Meyer as to the sounds of the two instruments. "Bass & Mandolin - Onward" has Josh Feinberg on bass and Brian Oberlin on mandolin. A variety of songs: some with vocals and some without. The other cd I like a lot is called "Stickerfoot, with Jesse Jones on mandolin & Craig Butterfield on bass. Wonderful playing, in a style similar to Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer's playing.
    Now see what you did, I went to YouTube and found Stickerfoot (good) but after that I somehow clicked on a bass and looper pedal video which is so fun to listen to that I had to post it at the Cafe's fav clips from YouTube page. And now I have early indications of PAS (Pedal Acquisition Syndrome). See what you started! Lol! Thank you!

I'm a huge fan of this album. I've been primarily an electric bass player prior to picking up mandolin and I really appreciate the musicality of this album.

Quote Originally Posted by hatta View Post
    No mando, but Meyer's transcription of half the cello suites for bass is astonishing. Play it on a good system. Wish he would do the rest.
    Yes.