Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Search Continues... Part 2

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Search Continues... Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    To me that Campanella F is something I could get crazy with...
    Hot dang its beautiful...
    I had one for a time and liked everything about it. It wasn't a bluegrass machine, but really outstanding and open sounding.

Larry

I have to say though, this Gil had some sort of slight change from one night to the next day. It has definitely development a little susatain. It feels glorious this evening...
    This was recorded on an iPhone, dry, and with no effects. It is very powerful mandolin therefore it's overdriving the phone recorder .

Thanks,
    Dem

Dude. The thing sounds great. Just calm down and play it some more.
    One thing you need to remember. Any time an instrument goes through major surgery, it takes a while to fully recover. I've had neck resets done on old Martins. It takes a solid 18 months for them to regain ground until they sound better than they did before the reset.
    A full re top will take a while. Not only does the new, red spruce top need to break in, but the entire instrument needs to re acclimate to being an instrument, and not just bits of wood glued together.
    Just relax and enjoy the ride.
    B

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to barry For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Above post is so true, I had my 36 F-5 fern sent with the bridge off and once I set it to what I liked it took a long time of pickin before it settled again and started to sound what an old fern should sound like! Once you break contact with the bridge/top it takes a while same with a new top/new mandolin they need broke in! Some say that's krazy talk but I've had enough mandolins and worked on enough it's the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S Sherman View Post
    I had one for a time and liked everything about it. It wasn't a bluegrass machine, but really outstanding and open sounding.

Larry
    Depends on what woods Joe uses, and the voicings applied to that particular build. The last new F5 that TME got was as "Gibson" as you can get without seeing the name "Gibson" on the label. While it might not have looked like one, sure sounded like one.

As for the Gil, Dem, I understand your issue with the Givens (I've owned and played a lot of these and the necks are just too small for me), but really, what's not to like about the Gil?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I reckon that Gilchrist will be truly great mandolin once it has settled in. Steve did a great job retopping it.
    Nic Gellie

... I decided to remove my ad and beat the spruce out of the Gil for a few days...
    See whats happens..

Dem
    In my humble opinion, that is the wisest decision you've made since this show premiered a little more than a year ago.

But...you're the one who has to live with your decisions. Except for the fact that you've made this process somewhat of an audience-participation soap opera, it's really none of our business what you ultimately decide to do.

I'm not too sure what it is that you're really looking for. I am pretty sure that if you let that Gil go without giving it a fair chance, you're going to regret it.

Good luck.

I remember Sharon Gilchrest saying it took a year for her Gilchrist to sound the same after simply replacing the fingerboard. It may take some time to truly develop it's sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I like the tone of that Gil a lot. To me, its a little more of the narrow, dense, traditional style tone, as opposed to the big, wide, modern tone... I've been leaning more towards the traditional thing anyway lately-might be why I'm partial. I agree with the other posters, it will likely settle in and get better (response, complexity, depth) over the next 15-24 months but its not going to do a 180. It should keep its characteristics, just get better. Its also doubtful it will be a fast, abrupt change. I do really think you are looking at at least a year and 2 at the long end of the curve. In general, you won't know what you are giving up unless you wait. But hey, you could always buy it back again!

Dangit! someone put it on hold! The Collings! I was just about to contact them about it...
    Oh well, wasn't meant to be..
    At least now I won't have to keep playing that video and dreaming on a daily basis..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Like this???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5374.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	160505
    LOL. No words for that image.

Sorry for the late response. Back to school chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by The Musician's Wife View Post
    LOL. No words for that image.

Sorry for the late response. Back to school chaos.

Have things settled down in the musician's wife household? Is there a sense of peace and calm?
    Nic Gellie

Even with the severe penalty for playing Christmas music before Halloween, that Gilchrist scores high.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Even with the severe penalty for playing Christmas music before Halloween, that Gilchrist scores high.
    It's true, and I agree.. Christmas music before Halloween is not ok. I plead guilty...

It's a good thing I drove a long way to the mandolin store. I could have driven a much shorter distance to Durango and looked at Elkhorn mandolins. I'd be broke ......but happy
    Peter Kaufman violin
    Old Wave two point

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Hey Dem, have you ever commissioned a mandolin just for you? Call Collings and get one baked up for you!

(No joke, my own mind wonders. . . )

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

17. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

It will be a wait for more torrified Collings. They are out of wood for the tops, and are looking for some more. I had the guys at TME call.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

I wanna know who purchased that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    It will be a wait for more torrified Collings. They are out of wood for the tops, and are looking for some more. I had the guys at TME call.

It's true, and I agree.. Christmas music before Halloween is not ok. I plead guilty...
    Does that mean that MAS has abated in Demetrius's household? I would still go after a varnish MT-2 as a replacement for the Givens.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Demetrius-

If it's the Master Model sound you are looking for, you should just hold the Gilchrist and break it in a bit. I tend to think that something like this would be more what you are looking for:
    I think yours Gilchrist is equal if not better than this Heiden F-5. Steve did a great job putting the new top on it. You virtually have now one of the latest Gilchrist creations out of his shop. I am going to pay him a visit in Warrnambool later this month.
    Nic Gellie

I wanna know who purchased that...
    LOL. Now what purpose does that serve?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    I am going to pay him a visit in Warrnambool later this month.
    He's now near Camperdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    LOL. Now what purpose does that serve?
    For me, at least half of the point of owning a mandolin is making sure other people know you own it and soliciting praise for your discerning taste in purchasing such a fine, endlessly coveted instrument. But that is just me. I guess I'm just a purist in that way.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by franc homier lieu View Post
    for me, at least half of the point of owning a mandolin is making sure other people know you own it and soliciting praise for your discerning taste in purchasing such a fine, endlessly coveted instrument. But that is just me. I guess i'm just a purist in that way.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    For me, at least half of the point of owning a mandolin is making sure other people know you own it and soliciting praise for your discerning taste in purchasing such a fine, endlessly coveted instrument. But that is just me. I guess I'm just a purist in that way.
    So funny because it is so true, at least for me. And the caveat is attempting to act so non caring when your displayed instrument is complimented.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    He's now near Camperdown.
    Sorry Mark I meant Camperdown. My family came from there originally so it is like going back to old haunts.
    Nic Gellie