Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 1011121314

Thread: The Search Continues... Part 2

Default Re: The Search Continues... Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    ...For around $3.5-4k you can find a really good second hand Ellis A-5 in near mint condition. Here is one from the Mandolin Store just advertised...
    Make that $4.5k.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve-o For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    For me, at least half of the point of owning a mandolin is making sure other people know you own it and soliciting praise for your discerning taste in purchasing such a fine, endlessly coveted instrument. But that is just me. I guess I'm just a purist in that way.
    Lol. But, not me! If there are any compliments to be dispensed, I'd rather they compliment my playing (on the rare occasions when I play something halfway good), as opposed to complimenting whichever instrument I happen to be playing at the moment. I'd feel insulted if the first thing they had to say was "OMG what a beautiful instrument!"

IMO, the instrument is merely a tool used to achieve a goal, rather like a wrench in a mechanic's toolbox.

Although I fully understand that some tools/instruments are a joy to use and work much better for the intended tasks, vs sub-standard low-quality tools that have to be treated gingerly or they fail to perform their intended function or break under even light pressure.

In the 1960s/70s I was having some fun with amateur photography. I had upgraded to an old 1950s consumer-grade Kodak Pony 135 camera, no SLR, no built-in light meter (in fact I didn't even own an external light meter yet, the kind I later wore on a cord around my neck to measure light levels), I always just 'guessed' at what exposures to use. You had to guess and estimate everything - literally everything - based on prior experience with similar lighting situations. You had to remember what speed of film you happened to be using that day, and adjust things accordingly. You even had to guess the distance between the camera and your subject, so that your subject wouldn't be blurry, as there was no focusing assistance of any kind.

So, I took a half-dozen photos of a friend's beautiful half-Arabian horse in a barn. Two of those photos turned out exceptionally nice, just happened to get the right exposure, nice depth of field, the natural lighting streaming in through the windows was at just the right angle to make the shot look good, the colors and contrast and all that turned out great, and I happened to guesstimate the distance correctly so it was in focus where it was supposed to be in focus.

I gave copies of those two photos to my friend and she showed them to her dad. He was quite materialistic, drove only the best Lincolns and Mercedes, and he firmly believed that in order for something to be good, it had to cost a lot of money. He could not fathom how lesser items could ever be good for anything. This was reflected in what he said when he saw the photos.

The very first thing my friend's dad said, without any hesitation, was:

"She must have been using a really good camera!"

That ticked me off. I didn't say anything (I was visiting in their house, I didn't want to seem rude) but I was thinking "No, sorry pops, the camera is rather primitive, the camera *operator* was what made the shots turn out good. Duh!" That and a bit of luck and some prior experience. Not to mention the other 4 shots that I discarded because they weren't as good, so actually a mere 33 percent success rate (2 out of 6 shots) isn't all that commendable anyway, thus all the more reason I was thrilled to have those 2 shots turn out as good as they did.

I was not seeking praise or pats on the head, but I disliked having *all* the credit go to the device (camera) and none to the operator. Especially when, in that case, the camera itself didn't do bupkis as far as the decision-making process involved with the settings. It just did what I manually set it to do.

I see it the same way with music.

At the risk of getting chastised for posting the same video twice in 2 years (or however many times it's been), IMO these guys help to remind us of what's important in music, and (IMO) it sure ain't all about the instrument:

(or direct link)

But I'd definitely make sure that guitar had a good setup before trying to learn on it.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    Make that $4.5k.
    I bought one for just over $3.5k three years ago. Being forced on the Mandolin Store they are more dear than buying privately although Dennis does strike some really good deals.
    Nic Gellie

Looks like that Ellis sold already.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

7. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

"your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

9. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I've played quite a few Ellis mandolins and I gotta say although they are an incredible build I'm just not drawn to the tone...

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I think I'm starting to realize something deep down inside. Actually I've known this all along but I guess I wasn't wanting to accept it. There is literally nothing wrong with with how the Gilchrist sounds. When I play it, I think to myself what more could I want? When I listen to other people play it, I think what more could I want? The problem is that I've played other mandolins like the Apitius that they had at the Emporium used for $6,500 I believe. I played it and thought to myself what more could someone want? I even played an Mt with a pretty one piece back and thought to myself. What more could someone want? Naturally everyone has different preferences, needs, and opinions but I'm agreeing with Nick. If you buy an instrument, get to know it and create a history with it. You could have a pretty darn good bond with so many mandolins you would've have initially walked away from. Not everyone is gonna agree to this and that is fine. I think the real situation with me is more about the $. This is why I have stopped looking at Dude F's , Moneteleone's, and Nuggets. Originally when deciding to part with the Gil my absolute #1 reason had nothing to do with the Gilchrist itself. It was to maybe get into something more in the $8-9k range or less. Then you know how it goes, you start looking online and seeing all those Nuggets and Dude's and I almost forgot why I was needing to part with the Gilchrist. My family is by no stretch hurting for money but I will say we have a lot of financial obligations which I won't get into here. The reality of it is I'm primarily a guitar player in most band settings. I love the mandolin so much but I'm far better at the guitar so that is what I more often get called to do. I'm sorry If Ive portrayed this in a way that shows any negative feelings towards the Gil. I had taken it off the market to really play it and truly enjoy it and I can honestly say there is nothing tonally, visually, and feel-wise that I don't like about it. In fact, there is also a good amount of sentiment between me and the Gil. The 100% driving force behind me parting with it is financial awareness for my particular situation.

Thanks,
    Dem
    So do you think that you've kind of reached a point now where you are contented (tricky word, I know) to play the Gil and see if you bond over time?

As exciting as the journey is, and it is exciting, it can also be a restful and contented feeling to arrive at your destination and stay.

For a while, of course...

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

12. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    So do you think that you've kind of reached a point now where you are contented (tricky word, I know) to play the Gil and see if you bond over time?

As exciting as the journey is, and it is exciting, it can also be a restful and contented feeling to arrive at your destination and stay.

For a while, of course...

I'm not really sure what I'm thinking right now. To be honest I'm just trying not to think about anything. I've been playing the Gil for at least 4-5 hrs a day and it truly is wonder how Steve gets what he gets out of a box. I looooooooved my Derrington, I looooooooved my Dude, but I have to say I think this one has the most going for it which is a little crazy cause it hasn't had the play those other mandolins had. I know I should really consider getting something in the $8-10K range but Ive yet to hear one that really competes with this. Time will tell and maybe just the sheer fact Ive yet to hear something I think out does this mandolin will result in my never parting with it. Who knows Chris, who knows??
    She is a beauty sonically and visually...

Thank you,
    Dem
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1951.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	160745

14. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

That is great Demetrius. Maybe the issue now is what to do with your Givens. Maybe Collings MT could suffice for your backup A model?
    Nic Gellie

16. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    That is great Demetrius. Maybe the issue now is what to do with your Givens. Maybe Collings MT could suffice for your backup A model?
    ...or maybe just use the cash for other financial needs.

18. The following members say thank you to Steve-o for this post:

Dem,

I'm starting to think you and the Gil are meant to be together.

When I hear your videos I personally think your style would be sweet on an Ellis or Dude, but you seem to prefer a different tonal spectrum. I think the Gilchrist and you ARE a good pairing, because you balance each other out. It might push you to work with it to get the very specific tone you seek, but you'll get it. Now you are a team, a pair.

I don't believe in fate or anything, but the universe has repeatedly given you this Gil to work with and I'm glad you're going to keep it a little longer and work with it. Do us a favor and post some more videos please!

Think of it like this... in some of the world's greatest bands, when the band split up the parts were not the equal of the whole. When they were together the styles blended and created awesome art but the artists on their own had nothing to balance them out. I think you and Gil should stick together. You both need eachother! You've spent a lot of energy on this mando. It'll pay off. Hang in there.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

20. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

"you can find a really good second hand Ellis A-5 in near mint condition. Here is one from the Mandolin Store just advertised: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115132#115132..." "Looks like that Ellis sold already."

Yepper...I snagged it and its a real sweetie !!

And I agree with those posters above who advised taking your time with the Gil, unless you need to trade down for financial reasons. I've found that I need at least 4-6 months with a newly acquired mandolin for us both to get to know each other and for me to decide whether its a keeper.

Cheers.
    2017 Ellis F5 Special #438

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benski For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    I'm not really sure what I'm thinking right now. To be honest I'm just trying not to think about anything. I've been playing the Gil for at least 4-5 hrs a day..

Name:	IMG_1951.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	160745
    I think that is a great strategy!

Love the one you're with.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

24. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Benski View Post
    "you can find a really good second hand Ellis A-5 in near mint condition. Here is one from the Mandolin Store just advertised: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115132#115132..." "Looks like that Ellis sold already."

Yepper...I snagged it and its a real sweetie !!

Allow me to extend my heartfelt congratulations and general huzzahs!

And my petty jealousy as well..

Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Here's Jaws lounging after taking a beating for a few hrs this today... lol
    Thats what happens when you learn a Monroe tune...
    Thanks,
    Dem

Name:	IMG_7620.PNG 
Views:	200 
Size:	939.6 KB 
ID:	160784

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    For me, at least half of the point of owning a mandolin is making sure other people know you own it and soliciting praise for your discerning taste in purchasing such a fine, endlessly coveted instrument. But that is just me. I guess I'm just a purist in that way.
    You hit the nail on the head, right there. The more people I can get talking about me, the better. Maybe I'm more of a narcissist than a mandolinist.

Last edited by Demetrius; Sep-13-2017 at 10:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    You hit the nail on the head, right there. The more people I can get talking about me, the better. Maybe I'm more of a narcissist than a mandolinist.
    Or neither.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

And now the Gil is for sale...
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/115823#115823
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles