Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Search Continues... Part 2

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Re: The Search Continues... Part 2

Even though I'm an inexperienced player I can say that I've played 2 different Gil's at my local jam. One was an F5 jr which was more contemporary and I really liked, but I was way less experienced then than now, and was mostly in awe of holding so great and so expensive an instrument in my grubby little paws. Last week, I met a fellow playing a Gil F5 who said he had owned it for many many years and bought it for around $3 grand as it was back when Gilchrist had "just moved back to Australia..." and he claimed it would now likely be worth around $35 grand. While I was still in awe of holding so great and expensive of an instrument, I did pay attention to what I liked and disliked about it; I can say that I really didn't care for it and I honestly was pleased to get back my Flatiron.

But the guy who owned it could play the H377 out it and blew my socks off.

All of that is to say, I think it all depends on A. Who's playing it and B. The ear of the beholder.

Just 2 cents form a newb.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    They did this with a bunch of Strads, and some violins from contemporary makers. 2/3's of the people liked the contemporary makers' instruments better. I laughed when I read that. .
    Of course, they were wrong, weren't they?

When I worked at a guitar shop and somebody was comparing fuzz/distortion pedals to sound like their favorite players......I always thought to myself, "yep, you can buy this and make your $3000 Les Paul sound just as bad as your buddy's $189 Squier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieshafer View Post
    Yeah. In fact, in watching this, I think the biggest problem is that he's putting way too much emphasis on the name of the maker. If he's really interested in sound, he'd try a bunch blindfolded. I think he'd be surprised, like many others, in what he actually likes vs. what he thinks he's supposed to like.
    Hear, hear. Except if Demetrius were to try the blindfold test (originally suggested in an early post by his wife), he would need to start a thread about which blindfold he ought to use, and then only discuss really well known, really expensive blindfolds, and return blindfolds that he did not like for rather frivolous reasons, or maybe have a perfectly good blindfold rewoven with a different type of material.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Franc Homier Lieu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Of course, they were wrong, weren't they?

When I worked at a guitar shop and somebody was comparing fuzz/distortion pedals to sound like their favorite players......I always thought to myself, "yep, you can buy this and make your $3000 Les Paul sound just as bad as your buddy's $189 Squier!"
    Wrong in what way? About what they preferred? My point was, don't buy an instrument because of the logo or the label, buy it because you like the way it sounds, how it plays, and because it encourages you to create the music you want to make.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Hmmm I wonder If the music emporium will be open today...
    On another
    I really enjoyed the feel and sound of this one when the emporium had it.

Dem

They are closed.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

8. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

They will be open in two days time. Let us know your impressions.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    Hmmm I wonder If the music emporium will be open today...[/video]
    Happy Labor Day!

Demetrius-

If it's the Master Model sound you are looking for, you should just hold the Gilchrist and break it in a bit. I tend to think that something like this would be more what you are looking for:

Being near ME would be a dream..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I played that Master Model recently and I was not in love with it. I didn't get to spend too much time with it. It definitely had an older vibe and sound. But, I much preferred the 15 Vfern. It was much more powerful and cutting. Probably closer to a Gil. I haven't heard too many Gils that sound like old Gibsons, so not sure that would happen any time soon if he kept playing the Gil. I think Gils seem to have a sound all their own. Red Diamonds do seem to capture that old Gibson sound. A buddy has a roasted RD and I like it more than that DMM that was at Music Emporium. Just my opinion. I agree with the Heiden sentiments. That seems to be a top class builder that has power, overtones, and richness.

I believe the MM at TME is gone.

I believe the MM at TME is gone.
    So is the Heiden. I thought we were just contemplating the "What if's?"

Since he said he was going there, and some mentioned they'd played it recently, I thought his intention was to go and play the MM that they had. They may have another. Not everything makes it to the website, and they are getting a lot of stuff these days. Most of it does not last long.

Larkstreet has a nice, fairly recent Heiden: http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html

and Carters has a really nice sounding Gil:

https://cartervintage.com/collection...nt=31996042179

This one is pretty tempting. The sound is a bit dark, but it has a big voice. I'm not a big fan of flat fretboards, but I'm tempted by the tone.

Larkstreet has a nice, fairly recent Heiden: http://www.larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html
    That is a very fair price......ie.low.
    Someone should hop on it, never played a Heiden that didn't sound great.
    Esp. the newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    Hear, hear. Except if Demetrius were to try the blindfold test (originally suggested in an early post by his wife), he would need to start a thread about which blindfold he ought to use, and then only discuss really well known, really expensive blindfolds, and return blindfolds that he did not like for rather frivolous reasons, or maybe have a perfectly good blindfold rewoven with a different type of material.
    Funny you should say this. He sleeps with an eye mask (aka blindfold, sorta)...and I had to talk him down from a super-duper fancy one that covers your ears too, and has this special padding. Silliness.

Quote Originally Posted by The Musician's Wife View Post
    Funny you should say this. He sleeps with an eye mask (aka blindfold, sorta)...and I had to talk him down from a super-duper fancy one that covers your ears too, and has this special padding. Silliness.
    Like this???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5374.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	160505

20. The following members say thank you to barry for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Like this???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5374.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	160505
    What the???

Mandobar,

You got me thinking... I decided to remove my ad and beat the spruce out of the Gil for a few days...
    See whats happens..

Dem

Since he said he was going there, and some mentioned they'd played it recently, I thought his intention was to go and play the MM that they had. They may have another. Not everything makes it to the website, and they are getting a lot of stuff these days. Most of it does not last long.

and Carters has a really nice sounding Gil:

https://cartervintage.com/collection...nt=31996042179

This one is pretty tempting. The sound is a bit dark, but it has a big voice. I'm not a big fan of flat fretboards, but I'm tempted by the tone.

Quote Originally Posted by The Musician's Wife View Post
    Hmmm Thats ok cause my wife sleeps with a shirt wrapped around her head and then a pillow on top of that...

What strings do you have on it? Mine started to sing when I put the EXP74CMs on with the heavier E.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    He should be searching for at least three.
    I am pretty sure that the first thread covered all aspects of multiple ownership and, of course, there are many of us MCers cho do just that -- even way more than 3. However, IIRC Demetrius does not think that way and he must have only one at a time, for some reason.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

He has two right now, Jim. Just not two he'd like to keep.

I have an idea Demetrius for the Givens. Get a luthier to put a radius boards on it if it has the right neck profile.
    Nic Gellie

Hey Nick,

The Givens does have a radius fretboard. The neck just makes my hand hurt...

Dem

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    I have an idea Demetrius for the Givens. Get a luthier to put a radius boards on it if it has the right neck profile.