Thread: Wedding Gig

Default Wedding Gig

My band played a wedding gig yesterday. It was interesting. I always find it interesting that a wedding would want a bluegrass band, but I appreciate getting hired. Paid pretty well too, as most wedding gigs do. However, there were several things that I found really bothersome. First, the temperature was in the high 80's, there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and no shelter was offered to the band for most of the gig. We were out in the hot sun for hours. We probably should have spoken up, but it wasn't until a bartender told someone that it was ridiculous that the silverware was under a tent, but not the band. Finally, like in the last hour, just before the sun went down, that some cover was afforded to us. We were playing in a field and our speakers were on stands about ten feet in front of us. Several of the folks at the wedding had "free range" children who kept running around the speakers, tripping over speaker cords, and one kid crept in behind us and was standing next to my mixing board, making motions like she wanted start touching the board. We finally moved the speakers near us, and luckily one speaker was close enough that when people started dancing and they knocked it over, I was able to catch the speaker before it hit the ground. I think a lesson that we learned here is to make sure that specific requirements are made before agreeing to a gig. Make sure that there is an understanding between the vendor and band that everybody's needs are met (i.e. shelter, food/beverage, space for equipment, etc.). Sorry for complaining, but it was the first time that I've ever run into anything like this. Most times we've played, we have never had to deal with these issues.

Default Re: Wedding Gig

Played for square dancing at a wedding reception yesterday, in a barn converted to sort of a rustic "party" facility. I was quite surprised at the small size of the "dance floor," but we were able to squeeze three sets in for part of the evening. Since the PA I used for the four of us –– fiddle, guitar, caller who also fiddled and played button accordion, and myself on my aluminum bass fiddle -- was a little Fender Passport, with a Behringer five-channel mixer plugged into the "Aux" input, I was able to put the speaker stands up and behind the band area, and even with sensitive condenser mics avoided feedback. Of course, volume didn't need to be high, in the small space. No need for monitors, since we could hear the house mix, and each other acoustically, very well.

Had similar problems with unsupervised kids, but I'm pretty good at shooing 'em away. Agree with banjoboy that wedding planners and organizers are often ignorant or indifferent to musicians' requirements ("Oh, you need power? You didn't specify that when I talked to you."). If the band doesn't have a standard contract form to give to the person doing the hiring, these issues should be specifically addressed via e-mail well before the gig, and the band should bring a print copy of the correspondence to the event.

Luckily, most issues can be addressed on-site, especially if sufficient pre-performance time is allowed to make final adjustments. If the event's at a facility that handles weddings regularly, there's usually someone around who's dealt with bands in the past, and can help find things, move things, or change set-ups to accommodate the music.

I always remember that the wedding party's looking forward to the music, wants it as part of their "big day," and their wishes are that it's presented as well as possible. They're actually "on the band's side," and generally will try to resolve issues in the band's favor. Not always, but that's been my experience as a rule.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

My band is in its 13th year playing weddings...we've had every type of weather event, with no catastrophes so far, just unpleasantness...the points you've made are important for musicians to understand...even with careful planning and discussions, weather can be troublesome for outside shows.
    Recently, we played on a hot day, and the mixer was in the sun, and heated to the point of shutting down the iPad, and I had the control the show off of input gains until the unit cooled enough, which is scary when clients are paying a lot of $$ for quality entertainment.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

5. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

I just recalled an event about eight years ago...we played in a tent on a golf course for a fund raiser...far from an outlet, with power delivered by a collection of their extension cords... it rained hard, and the ground under us got wet...I leaned in to sing, bumped my mouth against the mic grill and got quite the shock, evidently we had a grounding issue. We ended the show promptly, but the customers were cool with not killing the entertainment.
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMatt View Post
    My band is in its 13th year playing weddings...we've had every type of weather event, with no catastrophes so far, just unpleasantness...the points you've made are important for musicians to understand...even with careful planning and discussions, weather can be troublesome for outside shows.
    Recently, we played on a hot day, and the mixer was in the sun, and heated to the point of shutting down the iPad, and I had the control the show off of input gains until the unit cooled enough, which is scary when clients are paying a lot of $$ for quality entertainment.
    Matt,

You didn't mention the gale force winds at my sons wedding. You and your band mates took it all in in stride, and the music was great.

Consider a contract in the future that covers all this, which is the way I started handling it after a few unpleasant situations due to poor communication (usually happens when dealing with the wedding coordinator and not the actual client). The contract I used has stipulations like this for setup:

3. Performing area and access: Temporary parking will be provided for unloading and loading near entrance to venue, and access to the performing area will be available two hours prior to starting time. Performing areas located more than one flight of stairs above parking require elevator access. A properly grounded, 15 or 20 amp, 110 volt circuit with no other load will be provided within 25 feet of the performing area. Musicians cannot be held responsible for power interruptions. In the event a power outage prevents all or part of a performance, no payment shall be reimbursed to Client.

And also one for environment, goes like this:

If venue is outside or otherwise not climate controlled, upon their sole discretion, Musicians may delay or stop performing due to unsafe conditions, and wait until the stated ending time for conditions to improve or measures taken that allow the performance to continue. No payment shall be reimbursed to Client for shortened performance due to these circumstances.

That covers a lot of ground, without having to get specific about rain, wind, sun, etc. It gives you options when tents or other shade are available, and I would absolutely enforce it for rain. But sometimes we just have to suck it up. I remember playing outdoors on one brutally hot wedding gig in Leavenworth WA a few years ago. Nobody had shade, so we didn't have any option but to stand in the heat, try to shade the instruments in our shadows, and play for the ceremony regardless.

You need to think carefully about your liability exposure, especially at wedding gigs because there's a high likelihood that people are drinking and getting tipsy. That bit about catching a falling speaker in the nick of time is scary! Ideally you should have liability insurance, or at least make sure that the venue itself is covering liability. Our contract has some boilerplate about holding harmless, etc., but it wouldn't prevent getting dragged into a lawsuit if someone was injured tripping on a cord. Or a speaker fell on them.

Basically, it's up to you to secure the immediate area around the performance. Allen's advice about putting the speakers behind the band is good for tight spaces where there is a trip hazard on the stands. Just turn down enough to avoid feedback. I have our K10 speakers up on high stands behind us, probably 70% of the time at wedding gigs. Makes for a better visual presentation too. You might not be able to get away with that if you're playing Bluegrass for dancing, so put some barriers -- chairs, hay bales? -- around the floor monitors and speaker stand feet to avoid trip hazards. Another idea is to place your main speakers on the floor instead of on stands. We've done that a few times when I didn't want to risk a speaker stand.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

Foldepath--That's some great info.

I prepared a contract long ago but it could be updated. Would you be willing to 'share' your contract for general information? I think we could all benefit by putting our ideas together. We want to provide the best we have for our clients and heading off a slew of possible problems would be good.

Also, I have seen two BG groups in my area that have their own collapsible gazebo-type tent thingy's which would be a good back-up plan.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola
    Numerous wonderful guitars

Sure, here's a copy of the last contract we used for weddings, with specific info (band name etc) generalized. Adapt as needed for things like band size, promised set length. Also, the usual disclaimers here that I'm not a lawyer, use at your own risk, be extra careful about liability, and so on.

Let's see if this works as a PDF file attachment (click to download):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contract - Wedding (Sample).pdf 
Views:	98 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	160309

Two more quick notes:

Depending on the gig, you may want to add something about the client providing a meal for the band, even if you're just eating in the kitchen with wait staff. At big weddings that can be more or less assumed, but I've thought about adding it.

Also, note the proviso in the contract about getting paid the remainder of the fee (after initial deposit) before you start playing. That's critical at a wedding, because otherwise you may end up hunting down "the guy with the check" in the chaos that usually results at the end of these things. Or seeing "the guy" drive off with the wedding party while you're still packing up the gear. We learned that one the hard way.

12. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Thanks, that downloaded fine.

Here's a copy of my usual contract. I hope this downloads but...if it doesn't, please let me know what you did and I'll try again.

/Users/williampackard/Desktop/Performance Agreement duo copy.page

With both of these contract forms having the ability to be modified for individual gigs it looks like most contingencies should be covered. (Murphy's law excluded...which can pop up anywhere, any time!)

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola

Let's see if this works...Yep, this does it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Performance Agreement duo copy.pdf 
Views:	136 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	160311

Billy
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Gibson 1921 H1 Mandola

I have been playing weddings for decades and not everything can be written into a contract. Like the wedding where the father of the bride emailed everyone, including the band, and said the wedding was off. Well the bride emailed and said it was not off. The father then went around telling folks outside the wedding it was off, and refused to attend. That was a weird wedding gig.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

16. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have been playing weddings for decades and not everything can be written into a contract. Like the wedding where the father of the bride emailed everyone, including the band, and said the wedding was off. Well the bride emailed and said it was not off. The father then went around telling folks outside the wedding it was off, and refused to attend. That was a weird wedding gig.
    Heh... I believe it. And yeah, you have to stay flexible even with a contract.

We had one near disaster, due to an offer to play songs as special requests (my guitar partner at the time was a good singer and arranger). One of the wedding planners mentioned, among a list of tune candidates, the old Donovan tune "Yellow is the Color of My True Love's Hair," when we rise, when we rise, etc.

I remembered that the bride was from an East Indian family, and not a blonde. So we nixed that idea.

18. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Matt,

You didn't mention the gale force winds at my sons wedding. You and your band mates took it all in in stride, and the music was great.
    I didn't want to punk you out in front of our mando friends! That was a doozy of a stone, but not the worst. Being a musician in Montana requires a little stuntman/daredevil attitude
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

20. The following members say thank you to MontanaMatt for this post:

We've played the occasional wedding, but mostly the cocktail hour before, and i certainly remember sitting in some pretty bizarre venues in heat and wind, although we pack up if we're outside and it begins to rain. No sweat. You normally don't hire an ITM band to play at the service or the after-party, so we've mostly done pre-wedding stuff so it wasn't too terrible if things went south.

However, my-husband-the-guitar-player and I have been asked to play incidental music for my nephew's wedding. Initially, he asked if we could play and we told him our music was pretty limited to ITM and sent him a vid someone did of one of the sessions we attend and he seemed fine -- said all he wanted was that we play immediately before the wedding itself. from what i gathered, the wedding is outside and they wanted someone to play cheery music while people arrived and found their seats for the service. OK, we can do that. We figured, what, maybe 15 minutes all told? couple of hornpipes and polkas, maybe a jig. Then we got an email that the bride wants Into the West from Lord of the Rings as a wedding march... uh, OK. I'm still not convinced we're supposed to play the wedding march (or whatever), but we got a copy of the piece and we're working on it. Then my nephew said he'd like something like Mari's Wedding (or Mauri's wedding, depending) as they leave the altar. OK, that one we play anyway, so no problem. But suddenly we're looking at more than incidental music and now we're probably going to need our amp or borrow a setup from our group. No idea what the venue looks like, if there's power or not -- if there will be a tent. while the wedding is outside, the reception is inside in a/c ... so i guess if it rains, we all go in ... and suddenly it's become a real gig. My nephew and soon-to-be-niece aren't particularly communicative. I'm going to have to contact the venue and see what arrangements we will have and what we'll need. lordy!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

My band got hired to do a wedding reception by the fellow that was doing the catering, so we assumed it was a dressy affair so we put on suits and ties and showed up, it seems that the wedding was actually held in New York and this was a party being given by there friends here in Md..they had us up on a balcony out in the sun and with suits and ties on, we suffered while the wedding party and guests were in bathing suits and enjoying themselves at the pool side...Since that time now I try to make sure I know all of the conditions that go with the gig and try to see what kind of place we are suppose to play ahead of time so I will know what to expect and what sound equipment will be needed...

Just part of being a bluegrass "Star"

Willie

Yeah, one of the "wrinkles" of wedding performances, is when a particular piece of music is desired -- and it's one you don't have in your repertoire. I remember learning the jig A Pledge to Julia for my friend Julia's wedding, but that was the band's idea, not hers. And quite a few times we've hauled out Haste To the Wedding, slowed it down from normal jig time, and used it in the service. I once transcribed I Love You Truly and copied it out for the band, for another similar event.

I remember a bride asking for a "nice waltz" to be played while the guests assembled. This was the same wedding when another musician and I were walking in front of the bride's horse-drawn carriage as it took her to the ceremony, playing pennywhistle and bodhran to herald her arrival. I sent the bride several vids of trad waltzes the other musicians could play; she settled on Midnight On the Water, and our fiddler said he must have played it through 30 times while guests waited for the bride's carriage to show up.

Weddings can get weird, for sure. One expedient that I've adopted, at those events where I'm using a sound system, is to have the capability of playing a recording through the system, of a particular piece that's totally outside my/our repertoire. "Iz" Kamakawio'ole's Somewhere Over the Rainbow on ukulele, has showed up as a request a couple times, and durned if I'd try to copy that one!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

We played an old country song called "A Falling Star" after taking their vows the bride and groom were passing through the crowd shaking hands etc and they loved the selection, said it really fit the occasion...made me feel so good...

Willie

I've played well over 200 weddings...best bridal march request was "freight train", all about running away from your troubles!
    Several nice old Fiddles
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

My band just did a gig for a 65 year anniversary, the couple had been fans of us when we were playing at a little saloon where they celebrated their 25th!
    There are good gigs and miserable ones. You can't contract weather or common sense. Learn to tell the promoter what you hope for and expect half of that. We have stopped using any PA equipment for that kind of gig so, that way those who are interested can come closer and those who want to talk can back off. It's served up to make parties like that (for up to 300) very pleasant for everyone. The last one was really fun, the guests of honor walked right in next to use and sang with us.
    A wedding gig is the most difficult thing to make people happy but, if YOU have fun, they will too.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I dont play a lot of weddings, but I always figure they are premium-priced gigs because you expect to have to deal with unusual conditions, fulfill some very specific requests, and generally help them along, because the people getting married are not professional show organizers (and we're not the main event, they are).
    Most unusual wedding I've played was definitely the firewalk wedding. Only one I've been to where the guests danced and partied the evening away while the bride and groom sat on the porch with their feet in buckets of warm soapy water....I guess firewalking is a real thing but its not something you should try in front of your grandparents and everyone else in your family.
    This summer we attended the wedding of that bride's younger brother. The firewalk couple were there, still together 17 years later (musta made them stronger). This time, no drama, just an ordinary pleasant enjoyable indoor, gay wedding at the Shriners Hall....the parents were relieved and I'm sure the now-deceased grandparents would have been too. Live band of course.

===========

Unfortunately, these types of disasters happen at all kinds of gigs, and simply make for tell good 'musician stories', later on.

The afternoon that I was playing an outdoor show in a downtown area - the performance got interrupted 3 times:
    1. When a train pulled into the train station about 50 yards away - full whistles blowing.
    2. When a boat pulled into the harbor, right behind the train station, full whistles blowing.
    3. When a motorcycle policeman tried to wake a sleeping drunk buy continuously chirping his siren.

The time I was playing a festival, on an uncovered stage with a partially metal stage floor -like playing in a frying pan . . . then halfway through my set, a garbage truck parked directly in front of the stage and began emptying trash cans; (the driver claims he never saw me).

The time I was playing a county fair, where a tractor pull competition was going on at the same time - about 20 yards away from the performance tent. (Wow, those tractors are loud!)

The stories are endless - just chalk it up to experience . . . maybe I'll write a book.

Well, biker weddings (or any biker party) can get "loud" we've played several, all have been a complete blast, always paid well, tipped, fed and kept in any beverage wanted! The side tracks can be "interesting" to say the least but, I have never felt the least bit concerned at them.
    Some of the worst gigs have been weddings for "people of means" where we are really treated like dogs, sent to the kennel for a scruffy box sandwich lunch while the rest are feasting on beef tenderloin and roast pig. But, the bride and groom are the stars. The flip side of that has been much more frequent, we have been treated very well, paid well, and been as much a part of the party as the bridesmaids in lavender fluffy gowns! My lavender one doesn't fit anymore so, I have to dress differently not w!
    Trains? We play two clubs here in town and the right of way is not more than 25 feet from either stage, we find ourselves doing "Train 45" or "Reuben's Train" at some very odd times. But, it's still "Playing"!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Trains? We play two clubs here in town and the right of way is not more than 25 feet from either stage, we find ourselves doing "Train 45" or "Reuben's Train" at some very odd times. But, it's still "Playing"!
    An old band I played guitar in back east used to play a club that was located in an old New York Central freight house. The main line was less than 10 feet off the back of the stage. Whenever the midnight special shook the dust off the ceiling we would stop whatever we were playing and play a couple of choruses of Blackfoot's "Train, Train" and the girls would dance on the bar.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad Monkey For This Useful Post: