Thread: Flatiron Performer A vs Kentucky Km 900

Default Flatiron Performer A vs Kentucky Km 900

I recently bought a 1994 Flatiron Performer A from GC for $1000+tax. The Mando is in good+ to very good condition. I think it has a great overall sound. My only issue is with the instrument is the skinny ness of the neck. This mando is still within the return period.

The GC in Cincinnati has a used Kentucky KM 900 in good condition for sale for $650. Would this mando give a comparable sound to the Flatiron and hopefully have a slightly wider fretboard? I would also save $350.

Any feedback would be appreciated from whomever is familiar with both.

Default Re: Flatiron Performer A vs Kentucky Km 900

From my experience, the pre-Nashville Flatirons have a really different tone than Gibson, a tone all their own. The Kentuckys I have played fall more in the Gibson camp. Personally, both for mojo and tone I would stay with the Flatiron, but the Kentucky is a fine instrument. With either you will not be disappointed.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I just bought a KM 900 and I own a 87 Flatiron. The 900 has a narrower fretboard than my Flatiron. I also agree with red7flag the Kentucky sounds more like a Gibson. Both are good sounding mandolins just different.

I guess I'm spoiled by the wider fretboard of my Lafferty LA-2. I'm not likely to gain an advantage with the Kentucky in that regard. The Flatiron is simply an awesome sounding instrument which I really can't sacrifice.

The Kentucky KM950 and 956 have a 1-1/8" nut.

The KM-900`s have thin frets and a flat fingerboard where as the 950`s and 956`s have thicker frets and a radius fingerboard, all are great sounding mandolins for bluegrass, for $650 I would jump on it in a minute, it may not have the resale value that a Flatiron will have in the future....I have heard some good sounding Flatiron A`s but I would still go for the KM-900 myself...I had one and am sorry I ever sold it, so sorry that I bought a KM-956 and love it just a much...

Willie

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I've owned one version of both and much preferred the Flatiron. Playability was similar but the Performer felt more comfortable and sounded better. Last, a grand for a performer sounds like a nice deal

Another thing, I don't play bluegrass. I'm into old time, fiddle tunes, Celtic, and contra dance. I listened to a 900 & 950 on The Mandolin Store website, but question whether that sound is what I want.

9. The following members say thank you to George Henry for this post:

A Gibson sound will work well with what you are playing, but not if it isn't what you want.as I've said I own and play and like both,I'd hate to have to choose, but if you prefer the Flatiron that is what you should have. Leave the Kentucky for someone that prefers it.

I like my KM956 a lot but I have a 1919 A2 that is incredible for old time. The 'teens Gibson A models are still affordable and will give you the old time sound. Another consideration for old time would be a Mid Missouri / Big Muddy. To my ears, they sound a lot like the old flat top/ flat back mandolin of the 20s - 30s.

I own a Lafferty LA 2 oval hole A which has the old time sound nailed. I got the Flatiron in an effort to get something a little different than what I had. Maybe I ought to get the Kentucky as well. That would simply expand my palette of tones!

You could atleast get with Kentucky to try out and see which one you like more. Play them and return the one you don't want. A friend has a KM950 that plays way above its price. I actually want to get one as a backup to my Duff. But, I play bluegrass and it is a great bluegrass axe. I think the Flatiron tends to have a little more overtones and sustain. Atleast in my experience. I had 2 Nashville Flatirons and that tended to be what their sound was like.

Quote Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
    I own a Lafferty LA 2 oval hole A which has the old time sound nailed. I got the Flatiron in an effort to get something a little different than what I had. Maybe I ought to get the Kentucky as well. That would simply expand my palette of tones!
    You should defently get the Kentucky. He who dies with the most mandolins wins.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Yeah, if you don't play bluegrass, don't get an f-model!

For the life of me, I can't quite figure out when Thile is going to get it!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A