Thread: Saint Patrick's An Dro - Breton Tune played on an OM

Default Saint Patrick's An Dro - Breton Tune played on an OM

After a couple of months I have taken my OM back in my hands and tried to arrange two An Dros from France. The fingers are still a bit stiff. Hope you like it anyway :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL87XeCjpiw

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to scifi For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Saint Patrick's An Dro - Breton Tune played on an OM

Nice! I like the way you're using chords underneath the melody.

Breton tunes are a source of great music that fits well on our mandolins and mandolin family instruments, and they need more exposure.

4. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

scifi 

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Nice! I like the way you're using chords underneath the melody.

Breton tunes are a source of great music that fits well on our mandolins and mandolin family instruments, and they need more exposure.
    Thanks that you appreciate!
    Yes, many of those Breton tunes are very easy to play and are pretty slow but groovy. And could be played with a drone accompaniment or at least some very simple chords mixed in. Fun to play and easy to arrange.

6. The following members say thank you to scifi for this post:

Nice! I love Breton music, and this is a good one, nicely played.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by scifi View Post
    After a couple of months I have taken my OM back in my hands and tried to arrange two An Dros from France. The fingers are still a bit stiff. Hope you like it anyway :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL87XeCjpiw
    Lovely tune, lovely playing, thanks! Got my head and feet bouncing along!

scifi, I love these tunes (and Breton music in general). The first one is Saint Patrick's An Dro, but what is the name of the second one?

Also, I looked at your Short-tailed Snails website, and love the music of your group!

Jack

10. The following members say thank you to JCook for this post:

scifi 

Very nice tasteful playing Scifi. If I lived near Heidelberg I would be looking up you and Short Tailed Snails.

I like the sound of your Oakwood octave mandola too - made very near to where I work in Leeds. I know Martyn Banks and have visited his workshop a few times. I used to have one just like yours but sold it. Keep posting the Breton stuff, which is rarely heard around these parts.

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocelt View Post
    Very nice tasteful playing Scifi. If I lived near Heidelberg I would be looking up you and Short Tailed Snails.

I like the sound of your Oakwood octave mandola too - made very near to where I work in Leeds. I know Martyn Banks and have visited his workshop a few times. I used to have one just like yours but sold it. Keep posting the Breton stuff, which is rarely heard around these parts.

Kevin

Nice coincidence :-) I got this Oakwood OM just by pure chance as a bargain here in Germany. My other one I picked at a visit at Gordon and Martyn in Leeds.

Do you ever do gigs in Munich? I have friend there who wants to play Irish music and can't find much to listen to there.
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

Do you know of any books of Breton music with mandolin tablature? I saw Kornog years ago in Manhattan (they were great), and have a couple of Alan Stivell LPs. Really interesting music.
    1920s Regal #1260 (I think)

"One lives in hopes."

“Just when you think you’ve scraped the bottom, you find you’re only scratching the surface.” - Steve Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gillane View Post
    Do you know of any books of Breton music with mandolin tablature? I saw Kornog years ago in Manhattan (they were great), and have a couple of Alan Stivell LPs. Really interesting music.
    The OP or someone else may be able to point you to some Tab, but I imagine there is very little out there compared to sheet music and recordings. If you don't read dots, then I'd suggest picking up some recordings from the more well-known artists like Jean Michel Veillon, as well as searching YouTube for tunes you like (watch out for the difference between "Breton" and "Cape Breton"). Then learn the tunes by ear. The tunes are usually fairly simple and easy to pick up.

Here are a few resources for sheet music and general info:

Traditional Breton Dance Tunes - Fest Breizh (Book) by David Surette. Sheet music (no Tab) with chords. I have this, and there are some nice tunes in this collection.

Breton Tunes -- a thread on thesession.org with some good background and many useful links in the first post.

Breizh Partitions - Large collection of sheet music (useful if you know the name of a tune).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post: