Thread: 1933 Gibson A-00 with repairs

Default 1933 Gibson A-00 with repairs

I'm looking at a 1933 Gibson A-00 - oval hole & flat back mandolin. The back broke at the seam and the owner had it repaired by a non-luthier. They took the back off and reattached it with a cleat running down the length of it. It is actually a pretty clean repair, and certainly won't be a problem in the future. The bummer is that the "repair" person took the finish off the back and attempted to refinish the back to match and did a so-so job.
    The top is in decent condition. No cracks. Celluloid pickguard is deteriorating some. Also has repaired headstock that seems stable. The tuners are very tight and might need replacing. They are original but aren't anything special, so I wouldn't feel bad about that.

The action is good, and it sounds good.
    Also has original Geib & Schaefer Red Line case in fair but working condition.
    Any idea about what the value might be so I can make him a fair offer?
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	985.4 KB 
ID:	160155

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	160157

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	160158

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	160159

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	160160

Name:	06.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	160161
    Last edited by colorado_al; Aug-20-2017 at 9:11pm.

Default Re: 1933 Gibson A-00 with repairs

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	985.4 KB 
ID:	160155
    What's that green stuff in the case lid?

I wonder if it's a good crop of live mold or just corrosion from the strings and other metal parts (brass content or whatever other metal that turns green when it corrodes).

If it was mold, I personally wouldn't be too keen on letting that case into my house (allergy issues).

But if it's just corrosion, at least that presumably wouldn't have potential health implications.

I come from a damp climate though, and almost every time I've seen something with big areas of green like that, it's almost always mold.

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    What's that green stuff in the case lid?

I wonder if it's a good crop of live mold
    The case color was originally bright green and appears to have been deteriorating. It could be related to the celluloid pick guard. I didn't get a hint musty or moldy smell. The nicer Geib cases had velvet or silk inside. The lower end ones like this had cotton flannel

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

The repair looks reasonably well done, considering the extent of the crack.
    If if were me, my consideration would have 90% to do with the condition of the neck, fingerboard, and playability. It would be unusual that a mandolin of this vintage didn't have one or more of the typical issues - worn frets, excessive relief in the fingerboard, change in the FB plane at the body. So the question I would asking myself is, will the the neck/FB/frets need work in order for this mando to play really nicely?
    I would say in the $500 range, maybe a bit more if it does not need any fret or FB work.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

6. The following members say thank you to acousticphd for this post:

Thanks for the help! The one problem that it does have is a bend in the fretboard at the 12th fret where it attaches to the body. The action on the 1st and 2nd position on the fretboard is quite good, but above the 12th fret is basically unplayable. I'm not sure if that is a deal breaker for me or not, and I don't think I would spend any money fixing it. I'll post back if I pick it up.
    Thanks again!
    Al

I have one just like that! But in very nice looking and playable shape.
    It's actually the best mandolin I've ever tried. Just had to buy it...

If you ask me; Take it to a luthier. It's worth putting some money into.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Thanks for the help! The one problem that it does have is a bend in the fretboard at the 12th fret where it attaches to the body. The action on the 1st and 2nd position on the fretboard is quite good, but above the 12th fret is basically unplayable. I'm not sure if that is a deal breaker for me or not, and I don't think I would spend any money fixing it. I'll post back if I pick it up.
    Thanks again!
    Al
    Here's my worry if it's sinking above the 12th fret - it could be the top is collapsing. I'd take a quick look inside with an inspection mirror and light if possible. Just to make sure there are no open cracks that would need work.

That said, at that age, it would not surprise me if the entire thing is stable and won't be moving further. If so, and you don't play much above the 12th fret, then it's probably a decent deal. Let us know if you buy it.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723