Thread: Buzzing A strings on my Flatiron 1N

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Default Buzzing A strings on my Flatiron 1N

Hey gang,

I just got a great deal on a '93 Flatiron 1N... its in decent shape with awesome playability etc. Only problem is a buzzy A string course both when the string is played open or fretted. I thought it was sympathetic vibrations between the bridge and tail piece so I tried a piece of leather woven between the strings, but that didn't fix the problem.

I did the test of pressing on areas during plucking the string. I found that there was no vibration when I pressed on the course between the bridge and tail piece with a little bit of pressure, not a great deal of pressure but it did require more pressure that just touching the area. It almost seems like the string is vibrating in he bridge slot.

Any suggestions?
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Default Re: Buzzing A strings on my Flatiron 1N

It is possible that the bridge slots are too wide for the strings being used. If you have a set of sparkplug gap gauges, you can check. That can happen at the nut too.
    It might also be vibration of the tailpiece. You might try a piece of leather or felt between the strings and the tailpiece cover.

3. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

It could also be your action is slightly too low, especially on the A strings. When you press you raise the tension and it doesn't buzz. I would check clearance at the 12 fret.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

If it's buzzing without fretting the string, first place to look is the nut slots. Check clearance at the first fret while pressing at the third fret. Could be any of the other things, too.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

6. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    If it's buzzing without fretting the string, first place to look is the nut slots. Check clearance at the first fret while pressing at the third fret. Could be any of the other things, too.
    If it is buzzing while fretting as the OP says then it can't be the nut slots.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

It buzzes while fretted and open... I can fret it and hear it buzz all the way up to about the 5th or 6th fret... checking what Al said and I crammed my piece of leather between the strings and the tail piece (1N had the lovely clamshell style so it was easy) and it made no difference.... I'm leaning toward the bridge slot being slightly too big, but the string looks very well seated in there and not too big at all.

If the slot is too big in the bridge, how do I correct that?

Any more suggestions?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Haywood View Post
    If this were the case what should/shouldn't I see?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If it is buzzing while fretting as the OP says then it can't be the nut slots.
    I agree it could be as simple as the action is too low - either the entire saddle or maybe just the A string slots on the saddle. The OP's description doesn't give a lot to go on, but it does indicate to me that this could potentially be a combination of things or even something that requires real fixing. Therefore, I suggested that he start his search at the beginning to rule out possibilities. I've seen a few of these mandolins from that time period where the nuts are pretty worn. Without seeing this mandolin, I can't say what the problem is or what it isn't.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."

So I fretted it at the 3rd fret and there is indeed space between the string and the 1st fret.... looking at it more closely, I'm more and more convinced that the BRIDGE slots (one or both) may be too big. They look enormous on the E strings by comparison, but it's not a problem with them.

What's the fix for this?... New Bridge?
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    If this were the case what should/shouldn't I see?
    You should see just a very, very slight clearance between the string and the fret. Put a small piece of paper between there. If it holds it so it doesn't fall out, it's good. If you can't get a thin piece of paper in there or if it holds it real tight then it is likely too low. Sight down the neck and see if it is flat or laying back any. Also, loosen the the strings and raise the saddle a good bit. Tune it up, then lower the saddle a little at a time until it is at the action you want or until the strings buzz, then measure the action at the 12th fret. That'll get you started and maybe solve it. If the strings on it are old, change the A strings and see if that helps. There are lots of things that could cause the buzz, so an organized search is required.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."

I would check the bridge slots and see if there is any play. If so, new bridge.
    It sounds to me more like a high spot around the 6th fret, since your buzzing stops once you get above that. I'd check with a straight edge down the neck to see if it has a high spot there. Could be solved with a fret dressing, or by very slightly loosening the truss rod.
    Still, it could be action that is too low. Since you have a non adjustable bridge, you'd have to shim it or replace it.

So, check that the frets are level and also try shimming the bridge

Do you have a copy of Rob Meldrum's e book on mandolin setup?

PS, a quick test to see if truss rod adjustment might work is to strum the strings that are buzzing and then quickly apply pressure with your right hand on the front of the neck joint and your left hand on the back of the headstock. You'll hear the strings go flat a bit as you manually bend the neck. Listen to see if the buzzing is still there.

So here's a weird one for ya... I noticed that the intonation was off, soninslosnthe birdge back towards the tail piece and now the string doesn't buzz anymore... wierd
    Silverangel Econo A #429

15. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Huzzah!
    Post a video when you get a chance.

Sounds to me like the bridge might not have been seated correctly and it may have been vibrating....Glad you got it solved...

Willie