Thread: stabilize disintegrating teens Gibson finish?

Default stabilize disintegrating teens Gibson finish?

Is there any good way to stabilize the finish on a teens Gibson? The finish is flaking off on one of my friends teens Gibsons and he would like to keep it from getting worse if there is a responsible way to do that. (Obviously, no refinishing, something less invasive, more preservational.) Thanks.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Default Re: stabilize disintegrating teens Gibson finish?

Teens Gibsons had some kind of spirit varnish finishes. It doesn't appear to be pure shellac, but seems to be shellac based. It resists efforts to soften or dissolve using alcohol. French polish touch up works for worn places and surface damage.
    As for the flaking finish, I'm not sure what would be the best fix. Perhaps someone familiar with restoration techniques for antique spirit varnish finishes would be the best to ask, but I suspect some sort of procedure using alcohol and shellac will be the answer.
    Bottom line, I don't know the answer to the question, but hopefully this will steer you in the right direction.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Yeah, 100 year old shellac becomes pretty much insoluble, in my experience. Careful French Polish work can help paste the loose bits down more securely. Anything you do will change the look somewhat, so you have to balance that with the hope that you are postponing further deterioration.

Greg Mirken
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

5. The following members say thank you to Greg Mirken for this post:

I have seen several instruments that Frank Ford has french polished over deteriorating finishes, and they retain the old finish look and seal from further deterioration.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

7. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post: