Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oktoberfest/Bavarian folk music

Default Re: Oktoberfest/Bavarian folk music

Thanks for bringing this up...I was about to ask about it. I believe it was German Jewish immigrants who came to South Louisiana in the mid 1800s and brought along these accordions and sold them there. The accordions were preffered by some to the fiddle due to their ruggedness and the volume they could attain especially in loud crowded dancehalls. I have always wondered if this instrument had musch use from its native land. The Cajuns slightly altered the tuning of the reeds to make them "dry" meaning the middle two sets of reed were tuned close to exact pitch. The diatonic button accordion is occasionally seen with Traditional Irish Music, but there the pitches are "wet"- tuned a few cent off of each other to give a supposed fuller sound.
    Jeremy

My Instruments:
    Weber Custom Bitterroot
    Martin D-28
    Burns Dobson Openback Banjo

2. The following members say thank you to Mandolinespieler for this post:

The cajuns stuck with the 1-row (melodeon), while the Europeans continued with developing and playing multi-row boxes of increasing size, complexity, ornamentation - for example steirische (sp?) boxes festooned with tiny conical bass ports (such as you would find in a large oom-pa orchestra), etc. Boxes come in all manner of variety - really fun. (I play several different types. And still want several more different types ) The one row was popular wherever it went - even Africa, although multi-rows gained more in popularity coinciding with general preference for musical variety.

*https://youtu.be/fswwgc2ev3U (no oktoberfest content)

Then the PA took over...and CBA
    Last edited by catmandu2; Sep-02-2017 at 5:02pm.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Hey y'all.. anyone playing anything for Oktoberfest this year?
    Jeremy

My Instruments:
    Weber Custom Bitterroot
    Martin D-28
    Burns Dobson Openback Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolinespieler View Post
    Hey y'all.. anyone playing anything for Oktoberfest this year?
    Well I'm not performing on a stage for festivities, but I picked up my boxes for the first time since spring and set about recovering my repertoire of polkas and such. I took the entire summer off this year - only played horns (daughter is a woodwind student so all my time went there). I'm getting old: it's much slower coming back. Otoh, this is the first summer without any performing, so I'll cross my fingers.