Thread: Article: Acoustic Disc Releases The Book of the Dawg - Dawg Latin

Blog Entries

Default Article: Acoustic Disc Releases The Book of the Dawg - Dawg Latin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Article: Acoustic Disc Releases The Book of the Dawg - Dawg L

Super awesome!
    I bought the Dawg Jazz book last year and have been working my way through it. Fantastic stuff!
    Looking forward to playing some of these too! I already have some of them under my fingers, like Newly Wedding, Tracy's Tune and Dawgmatism. I was just listening to April's Wedding Bossa and The Argentine Trio to see which I should work on next. Nice!

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Teak 

Ordered!

This showed up in the mail today!
    Just as the Dawg Jazz (and other volumes in the series, I presume), it is full of great info about how and when the songs were written, and with great photographs of the musicians or the songs' inspiration. The notation is very clear and readable and each tune has a paragraph about the arrangement on one of the recordings. Also, on each are a discography for the song to help you find different recorded versions. I already play 3 of these tunes, but having the chords and tab together are helping me to understand them more. I'm looking forward to getting more of them under my fingers! What a fantastic resource! Thanks Dawg and company!
    Al

7. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Teak 

I got copies of Dawg Latin and Dawg Jazz last week. Awesome stuff! Dawg has done so much to expand the mandolin horizon that it was worth buying copies just for that reason alone.

Even the story of how the tune '16/16' got its title was worth the price of admission. I surmised that the title came from my mistaken belief that Dawg was implying that there were 16 bars of constructed melody line followed by improvisation and then ending up with the original 16 bars of melody line. Kind of like this: 16 ....... 16. That wasn't the case.

I will use these songs for my practice routines because they certainly push me out of my comfort zone.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

9. The following members say thank you to Teak for this post: