Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northfield archtop OM

Default Re: Northfield archtop OM

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Bill Bussmann at Old Wave Mandolins makes a great GBOM too. I have one of his oval A body octaves that I got before the GBOM craze started. Love it. 21.5" scale is perfect.
    There's a CBOM craze?? I had no idea. When did it start??

Don refers to a GBOM craze, which narrows the field, which began right around the time Sarah Jarosz appeared onstage with her Brock GBOM. While other builders, like Bill Bussman were making these the field expanded after Sarah started using hers regularly. Personally, after playing other CBOM body styles I find the guitar-bodied models the most comfortable to play.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Personally, after playing other CBOM body styles I find the guitar-bodied models the most comfortable to play.
    I keep going back and forth on this... love the looks of the F, but the tone and playability and cost are more important.

It totally sucks that OMs are rare enough that it's hard to actually try and compare before buying. Just sayin.

You might be able to sample some at a local jam or festival. I'm not sure where you are located, but there may be some local builders in your area also.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Anyone played one of his instruments?

https://reverb.com/item/4931772-kyle...-mandolin-2016

Just got back from the Marshall Mandolin Summit. They were big hits. EVERYONE was blown away by them. They sound better live than in the clip. I wanted to buy one on the spot, but couldn't (you have to wait ...)

Nigel Forster (now based in Leipzig Germany) makes fantastic instruments including Guitar Body Octave Mandolins. I believe Forrest O'Connor has or had one. They are beautifully made and incredibly LOUD!!!! They're pretty unique in design and are based on Howe Orme Guitar shape. I am the proud owner of one of his Standard Bouzoukis which is tremendous and am about to get a Guitar Shaped Bouzouki of his as well. I've played a small number of US made Octaves, and while they were fantastic just didnt match up to Nigel's instruments in terms of response and volume. Check out his website. He's also some posts I think in the CBOM section of the Cafe.

Another maker worth checking out in the UK is Andy Tobin who also makes Octave Mandolins. His are flat tops and teardrop (A Style) shapes. A fantastic builder and a lovely guy to boot. He has a build thread on one of his bouzoukis in the CBOM area of the Cafe. Absolutely fascinating for any would be luthier. By the way , I have one of his bouzoukis as well. Brilliant!! It would be almost impossible fro me to choose between the Forster and the Tobin as to which is my favourite. Both totally different sound wise and both fantastic.

John

I have number 8 of the mahogany backed model. And like BigSkyGirl, I haven't really been playing it as much as I should. It was something of an impulse purchase after seeing that Emery Lester clip. I'll be retiring in less than 2 years and I figured I'd get it while I could still afford something like this. It's very loud, a ton of sustain. I originally imagined using it for vocal accompaniment but it actually overpowers my weak voice. None of my usual mandolin repertoire really works on it either, so I'm still trying to fit it in with what I do. And if that never happens, hello classifieds. I did purchase directly from Northfield, and I had to wait 8 months for it. I work about 10 minutes away from the Music Emporium, and if any one would have one, they'd be the shop. But I don't think they've ever had one in.

The Music Emporium asked Northfield to make them an OM. From what I was told, after asking if I could order one through their shop, I got the impression that this was not something the company was going to supply to stores, at least not at this point in time.

TME has since ordered several Girouard OMs, and these are starting to arrive there. They've gotten the first and are expecting the second one quite soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    A Mowry is going to be about 2k more. I believe the base price on his GBOM is 6k now.
    I have one. Paid a bit less, but at 6k is a wonderful deal. Absolutely excellent workmanship and tone. Great guy to work with. Strongly recommended. NFI.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

I played the Northfield OM at the booth at Grey Fox, and it was a pleasure to play. Very satisfying tone and playabilty.

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I have one. Paid a bit less, but at 6k is a wonderful deal. Absolutely excellent workmanship and tone. Great guy to work with. Strongly recommended. NFI.

I have one too. I was going by what his new price list states. Yes, they are great, but I don't think I'd be willing to play mine at a farmer's market gig.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	octave1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	160245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	octave3.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	160246

My new Girouard. Opportunity presented itself. Thanks to Max and the TME gang.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

I have a Northfield OM as well. Ordered it in December 2016 and received it in late April. It is number 23. Absolutely love it. As others have said, plenty loud and a beautiful sustain. I have only played a couple of other OMs so not a lot for me to compare it to. I would agree that the guitar body is more comfortable at that size. The crew at Northfield were great to deal with in my experience. I was also at the Marshall Mandolin Summit last weekend and got to hear Sarah play her Brock octave up close. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that she could make most any of them sound amazing.

I can tell you that I stopped by the Northfield shop a couple months ago to try out their GBOM. Sounded just as good as it did in the video clips on their website.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

TME has a Northfield OM in stock, or at least they did on Friday.

<Please limit commerce to the classifieds>
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Sep-06-2017 at 4:11pm.

Played one at Greyfox in the Northfield tent - I was pleasantly surprised at tone and play ability, not really a BG instrument but I'm sure it could work in an genre in the right hands.