Thread: Collings mandolin case for a Kimble A5

Default Collings mandolin case for a Kimble A5

Does anybody know for sure if a Kimble A5 will fit into the new Collings mandolin cases?

Default Re: Collings mandolin case for a Kimble A5

Perry,
    I don't know for sure, but I might suggest that you take careful measurements of your instrument and call Ben at Fiddler's Green here in Austin. They have several Collings case on order, as well as one in the shop that belongs to a used instrument.

I suspect Ben may be able to find an A5 on the wall that closely matches your Kimble's dimension and try it in the case he has. Of course no matter how closely you measure, you'll only know for sure if you try it.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Call Will. He might be able to shed some light on the subject. You might also try Cotten as they have two Kimble A models in stock. They might have one of the new A cases, even if it belongs to a new mandolin, they might be able to try it out for you.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks I did ask Will a while back and he wasn't sure at the time. Have a call into Cotten; thanks for suggestions.

measure .. then talk about the measurements..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Yes it does. I have a Kimble A5 from this year and it fits in a 5 years old standard Collings TKL .

Thanks but I inquiring about the new Collings made case not a TKL

Anybody ever put their Kimble A5 into one if the new Collings mandolin cases? Does it fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Anybody ever put their Kimble A5 into one if the new Collings mandolin cases? Does it fit?
    I might get to try this combination tomorrow or Thursday and will report back.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Dec-29-2017 at 12:58pm. Reason: fixed quote syntax

[QUOTE=MissingString;1621267]
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Anybody ever put their Kimble A5 into one if the new Collings mandolin cases? Does it fit?[/QUOTE

I might get to try this combination tomorrow or Thursday and will report back.
    Yes please do

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    measure .. then talk about the measurements..
    +1 Measure the Kimble body W,L,&D from the backside and I can compare those measurements to my ellis which fits the collings built A5 case

[QUOTE=Perry;1621325]
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingString View Post

Yes please do
    Sorry no dice, they didn’t have any of the new vintage-style Collings cases for mandolin on hand today.

okay thanks for trying

Last I checked, Carter's has those cases but there attached to new in-stock Colling's mandolins, nonetheless, I know they can get them. There's a Kimble twin-point there now, imagine it'd be close to your A.

Call them and ask if they'd be willing to check out the fit for you. The case retails everywhere at the same price. I'm sure you realize the aesthetics mimic an F style body, right?
    Last edited by mtucker; Dec-29-2017 at 12:47pm.

I have a Kimble 2 point and it does not fit in a Collings A case. I’m thinking that the headstock on a Kimble A might be too tall for the Collings case.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    I have a Kimble 2 point and it does not fit in a Collings A case. I’m thinking that the headstock on a Kimble A might be too tall for the Collings case.
    Are you referring to a TKL A style case? ... believe this is about the new Collings case designed for an F style mandolin that the OP is talking about...

No, Mark, I am referring to the new Collings A style case made in Austin. I have several, and I tried the Kimble. It's a no go. These cases are made to fit Collings mandolins like a glove, and they do. My Kimble (2 point) doesn't even fit in my Chronkite gigbag (which I believe was made for an Ellis A). The headstock is too tall.

I have not tried it in the F style case, but I generally carry it in a Calton now, as the Collings cases are great, but they have no real room for a strap, either on or off the instrument, which is ok for an F, but I generally tie my strap on the A's and it's a pain to keep tying and untying. As I said, there is very little room in these cases for much more than the instruments.

Blog Entries

As I said, there is very little room in these cases for much more than the instruments.
    I received an Collings built Ellis badged A5 case for my Ellis A5 for a gift. It is a very slim line gentlemans case with beautiful workmanship like everything Collings does. I don't tie my strap so it works. There is room for a pick box and a tuner. My Sully strap won't fit with my Ellis in the Calton F5 case either. My Hiscox is the only case i have that allows me to carry everything I want.

No, Mark, I am referring to the new Collings A style case made in Austin. I have several, and I tried the Kimble. It's a no go.
    Okay, thanks for clarifying Mary. Carter's checked out an F-style Colling's case for my new Gil M5Jr and it was a 'no go' as well.