Thread: Sumi Sullivan Mandolins

Default Sumi Sullivan Mandolins

Sumi is not a new name in the mandolin world (link: http://www.desertrosebanjo.com/sumi.htm ), but I am writing to see if anyone has information about the small production that Sumi did under the Sullivan name for the family that owns the once great company First Quality Music Supply (FQMS). The Sullivan mandolin was built by Sumi in the early 2000's, but the project came to an end when FQMS narrowly averted complete destruction by completely restructuring and returning to its core business model producing exceptionally high quality banjo parts.

I own Sumi Sullivan #3, and have been looking for information about the materials used, unique aspects of the production, number of mandolins in existence, make contact with other owners, etc. If anyone can assist, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    Gilchrist F5 Mandolin #273, 1993, built for Tom Rozum
    Apitius Vanguard F5 Custom Mandolin 2019
    White Mandola (custom build, expected April, 2023)
    Sumi Sullivan F-5 Mandolin 2003
    Weber Diamondback Octave F-Style Mandolin 2014
    Flatiron Cadet “Army-Navy” Flat Top Mandolin 1987
    Martin HD-28V Guitar 2004

Default Re: Sumi Sullivan Mandolins

I have no direct knowledge about Sumi/Sullivan. I am curious about First Quality. I knew the father and bought strings from his son when they were selling out of their garage. Great folks. Not to hijack your thread, but what happened to their business?
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

What happened to their business is what often happens to family businesses. The father passed away. After that the children struggled and finally developed a new business model that didn't resemble the model their father had for years. It's a shame but it happens.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by red7flag View Post
    I have no direct knowledge about Sumi/Sullivan. I am curious about First Quality. I knew the father and bought strings from his son when they were selling out of their garage. Great folks. Not to hijack your thread, but what happened to their business?
    Chronicled in a New York Times article from 2010: Tough Options for Family Business in a Tailspin.

Not to disrupt the original question but it's an interesting story, that of the family post the senior Sullivan's passing. Lots of discussions going back over 10 years if you like digging around for such stuff. Now back to the original question.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

There are actually a few threads that mention these mandolins on the Cafe. They are here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Chronicled in a New York Times article from 2010: Tough Options for Family Business in a Tailspin.

Not to disrupt the original question but it's an interesting story, that of the family post the senior Sullivan's passing. Lots of discussions going back over 10 years if you like digging around for such stuff. Now back to the original question.
    Beat me to it, Admin. This really is a great article. It's a shame because First Quality had such a diverse offering of stuff you just couldn't find anywhere else. Also, outstanding customer service. I really believe they could have cut back a bit, regained focus, and continued on a more conservative growth track IF they had caught themselves early enough. They were just spending money like CRAZY. I knew some folks who worked down there that predicted the demise long before the owners did. Anyway....I might just reach out to the owners and see what I can find out about the Sumi Sullivan. Thanks all.

'First Quality' were the very first US music store that i bought goods from. I bought a TKL Banjo case & my First Quality / TKL ''American Vintage'' mandolin case from them. I also sourced all my 'strings 'n things' from them for several years until things went bump !. They were first class as well as First Quality. Their service was excellent. I had thought that the store had vanished altogether,but i believed that it is still going,about that,i'm very pleased,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I would really like to see FQMS start to expand again. There's no reason why they couldn't do so, as long as its strategic and gradual. Perhaps one day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandoglobal View Post
    I would really like to see FQMS start to expand again. There's no reason why they couldn't do so, as long as its strategic and gradual. Perhaps one day.
    Last time I talked to Eric their duck call business was what they were really concentrating on. Not much of anything left on their music web site save banjo accessories and some strings.

My understanding was they had an incredible supply of quality hardwoods and this was the answer of what to do with it.

https://derbycitycalls.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Last time I talked to Eric their duck call business was what they were really concentrating on.
    Who knows, might be a good idea for a tv show!