Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raga and indian music theory

Default Re: Raga and indian music theory

Yes, I'm sure it's long OOP. Quite excellent though - an aural source of tuition.

Ya I'm guitarist too - trained under Fava in the Detroit area as a young teen. Saw shakti when i was 17 and it blew my mind (mclaughlin is one of my heroes too - especially as he introduced me to paco DL who inspired my imagination for the subsequent 20 years - and zakir). Went absolutely all in w/ flamenco, with Bach on the side - never imagined I would find the need to be involved with anything else. But sounds in my head persisted - I saw Shivkumar as a teen also, and that blew my mind; and fueled with the medieval sound of wire harp which I couldn't shake, I obtained hammered dulcimers and set about learning harp repertoire on this, until I could finally obtain a clarsach proper. I came close to buying a good sarangi once, but finally told myself, enough! (I'm holding out for a hardingfele ).

All of this and much more distracted me from adequate dedicated study, so I finally gave up guitar (!). The mandolin, fiddle and banjo got me into lots of folk music and lots of fun jamming, but I guess I'm more compelled by the "high-art" forms one deploys with these ancient instruments: clarsach, oud, zheng.. *Yep, most of my playing is for myself these days
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-22-2017 at 7:39pm.

2. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    I have this resource:

Https://www.google.com/search?q=lear...HRTRgQbMxOtOM:

...six cassettes of aural instruction by Ravi.

W.
    I had and used that tape series in the early 1980's, it taught me a lot about North Indian music.

Thanks for reminding me.

interesting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAVI SHANKAR’S MORNING LOVE .pdf  

Still awaiting werner!

Hey david, and CW and all guitar aficionados - one thing I love, as I'm sure you as well, is JM's fiercly rhythmic sensibility - playing with zakir, trilock, paco, et al. The complex tonality of sitars, sarod, vina, santoor...with the intense rhythmic beauty in this music. Love

Mandolin does indeed seem in a good setting in carnatic style - all these instruments resonate in me upon hearing one or the other..

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

As usual, while searching on the 'Net for something else I found the Mandolin Sisters.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Still awaiting werner!

Hey david, and CW and all guitar aficionados - one thing I love, as I'm sure you as well, is JM's fiercly rhythmic sensibility - playing with zakir, trilock, paco, et al. The complex tonality of sitars, sarod, vina, santoor...with the intense rhythmic beauty in this music. Love

Mandolin does indeed seem in a good setting in carnatic style - all these instruments resonate in me upon hearing one or the other..

Case in point...

And this one is just magical.
    The vocalist is stunning, and the percussion dual is insane.
    Zakir is a god.

Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post: